Mel Kiper no longer publishing Blue Book

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Mel Kiper no longer publishing Blue Book - My brother bought this every spring for years...

Wow. The end of an era.

-------------------------------

Last April marked the 35th edition of the Draft Report. After much deliberation and thought, we just recently made the decision to no longer publish any reports pertaining to the NFL Draft. My player rankings, mock first round projections, and other draft related information is available on ESPN.com through "ESPN Insider".

We can't thank you enough for your loyalty and support over the years. Without it, I would have never been able to turn my passion into a fulfilling and tremendously enjoyable career. It was your enthusiasm for the draft and football in general that made the Draft Report and our other publications a true labor of love for me. I wish you nothing but the best and who knows, maybe down the road I will decide to publish the Draft Report once again.

Take Care,

Mel

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It's also a lot easier to press delete when you're wrong. :LOL:

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Mel Kiper no longer publishing Blue Book - My brother bought this every spring for years...

Wow. The end of an era.

-------------------------------

Last April marked the 35th edition of the Draft Report. After much deliberation and thought, we just recently made the decision to no longer publish any reports pertaining to the NFL Draft. My player rankings, mock first round projections, and other draft related information is available on ESPN.com through "ESPN Insider".

We can't thank you enough for your loyalty and support over the years. Without it, I would have never been able to turn my passion into a fulfilling and tremendously enjoyable career. It was your enthusiasm for the draft and football in general that made the Draft Report and our other publications a true labor of love for me. I wish you nothing but the best and who knows, maybe down the road I will decide to publish the Draft Report once again.

Take Care,

Mel

Publishing is dying so this isn't a big surprise is it?

Coupled with the fact that he is now an employee of ESPN so I'm guessing they want the rights to everything and are paying him for it. I don't know why he's as inaccurate as anyone and really has zero to add when it comes to draft insight.

radjohns

UDFA
I'll miss his blue book. I'm old school when it comes to reading newspapers, or books. I need to be holding the paper in my hands. Also, I enjoyed watching, or listening to the draft with Mel's book in my hands. I liked how Mel's write ups included objective information from each season of a particular prospect, as well his own thoughts. I never cared much about whether his rankings ended up being accurate, as I've yet find a single analyst achieve perfection. Like most posters here, I read/watch/follow several draft publications/pundits every year, including a couple of pay sites. I just find it interesting to see the different perspectives. The end of Kiper's Draft Review marks the end of an annual tradition for me.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
It's also a lot easier to press delete when you're wrong. :LOL:
Yeah, what did the Blue Book say about Jimmy Claussen?

Remember that draft? Remember watching Kiper look like someone personally kicked him in the balls and told him he has ugly children every time someone passed on Claussen? Well, I do and it was glorious.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It looks like he's published a kindle version.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 128

SierraRam

Recreational User
I'll miss his blue book. I'm old school when it comes to reading newspapers, or books. I need to be holding the paper in my hands. Also, I enjoyed watching, or listening to the draft with Mel's book in my hands. I liked how Mel's write ups included objective information from each season of a particular prospect, as well his own thoughts. I never cared much about whether his rankings ended up being accurate, as I've yet find a single analyst achieve perfection. Like most posters here, I read/watch/follow several draft publications/pundits every year, including a couple of pay sites. I just find it interesting to see the different perspectives. The end of Kiper's Draft Review marks the end of an annual tradition for me.

I like Kipe too. And I'll miss the Blue Book - He's entertaining, but I wish he'd be a little more humble. (My version of old school )

You have to hand it to a guy who makes a career out of being right occasionally. I'm sure he could have made a fine meteorologist or NBA official.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Let's go all in here the issue now with the likes of Kiper and others is we now feel as fans we know more than those guys. We'll read their information, but now we have access to former scouts, GM's and others that have actually been in the business and most of us feel that we filter the information and come up with our own analysis.

Also guys like Kiper and Mayock are breaking down all the teams, but as fans we can focus on our own team so maybe we have a better feel for who fits. So Kiper is now like an appendix, he's outlived his usefulness, but it's better then getting it removed.

Back in the day and many of you are too young to remember I loved guys like Kiper because they were far and few between. In fact, guys like Joel Buchsbaum and Mel Kiper were pioneers, however, many guys like myself (born in 66) could not wait for the draft books to come out because that is all we had. So it just underscores the end of yesteryear, however, now it seems like everybody's an expert and you now have to filter those types as well.

Plus many criticize these guys for not being right, but with the draft you're wrong more than you're right, it's just the nature of the beast, but as fans we only remember the times we were right and forget the times we were sooooooo wrong, but these guys go on the record.

Last edited:

SierraRam

Recreational User
Let's go all in here the issue now with the likes of Kiper and others is we now feel as fans we know more than those guys. We'll read their information, but now we have access to former scouts, GM's and others that have actually been in the business and most of us feel that we filter the information and come up with our own analysis.

Also guys like Kiper and Mayock are breaking down all the teams, but as fans we can focus on our own team so maybe we have a better feel for who fits. So Kiper is now like an appendix, he's outlived his usefulness, but it's better then getting it removed.

Back in the day and many of you are too young to remember I loved guys like Kiper because they were far and few between. In fact, guys like Joel Buchsbaum and Mel Kiper were pioneers, however, many guys like myself (born in 66) could not wait for the draft books to come out because that is all we had. So it just underscores the end of yesteryear, however, now it seems like everybody's an expert and you now have to filter those types as well.

Plus many criticize these guys for not being right, but with the draft you're wrong more than you're right, it's just the nature of the beast, but as fans we only remember the times we were right and forget the times we were sooooooo wrong, but these guys go on the record.

Easy now. I couldn't care less who's right or wrong in the draft. There's a 1000 different ways to go and I'll leave the picks to the experts: Fisher & Co.

I've followed Kiper from the beginning too, and I admire his work. But guys who do get paid to go on the record should own their misses. Not all, but some... and Kiper hasn't always done this. That's all. If I came across as a wanna-be expert, sorry. (born in 63)

Memphis Ram

Legend

Can't say that I agree with you here. I remember most of my hits and misses and I believe that most of these draft guys and your hardcore draftniks are more right than they are wrong.

Side note: No one has even come close to the late Joel Buchsbaum, IMO.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Very true!

Kiper was a pioneer in this industry and by all accounts works very hard.

These days, the differing opinions of McShay, Kiper, Mayock is good entertainment.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Can't say that I agree with you here. I remember most of my hits and misses and I believe that most of these draft guys and your hardcore draftniks are more right than they are wrong.

Side note: No one has even come close to the late Joel Buchsbaum, IMO.
Granted I remember my misses too, but the vast majority don't and not guys like Kiper, McShay & Mayock, but the others, however, that is what makes the draft a great debate.

As to you my Ram brother I've posted enough over the years on many different boards as to your depth when it comes to the draft and I for one always look forward to yours and jrry32's analysis because over the years the both of you have had more hits than misses.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I still buy the magazines. Lindy's etc...they make for interesting reading years later.
Ex:
-Cortland Finnegan 7th rd. A work in progress, the Titans missed the early CB run ~ USA Today 2006
-His play leveled off over the second half of the season, but he showed potential to be a good long term starter. ~ Sporting News on Chris Long 2009

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
I like Kiper as well.
I loved having some info on players all over the nation. Wrong or right, at least it was some insight.
Before the Internet, it was tough getting info about anything that espn didn't report. (which isn't much).
Heck, I use to by The Sporting News just to get a couple of paragraphs of Rams info a week.
USA Today also had a small write up on every NFL team on Tuesdays. Would by them without fail.

The Internet has definitely changed things.
I don't even have to search for Rams info anymore.
I can come on to a board like this and guys like RamBill are sharing everything they can find.

It's always appreciated by the way.