Meet the former NFL quarterback who now weighs 500 pounds

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.kentucky.com/sports/college/kentucky-sports/ex-cats/article164636532.html

Jared Lorenzen, after topping 500 pounds, aims to get himself and others healthier
BY JARED PECK

26_7470102.jpg

When Jared Lorenzen was cut by the NFL’s Indianapolis Colts in 2008, he was listed at 6-4 and 285 pounds. He wouldn’t step on a scale again for eight years.

When he finally did, the digital readout climbed to 502.8 pounds.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfXiVtuXjGU

The former University of Kentucky and Highlands High School quarterback has struggled with his weight for much of his life. Affectionately, although sometimes derisively, dubbed the “Hefty Lefty” or the “Pillsbury Throwboy,” he tossed touchdowns, won games and set records for the Cats in the early 2000s.

Lorenzen got back on the scale last year for The Jared Lorenzen Project,” a video journal that will document his attempt to take control of his health and inspire others to do the same.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mwja3a6AToc

“Right now, if I didn’t wake up tomorrow, it wouldn’t be a shock to many people,” Lorenzen says in a video that was posted on the project’s Facebook page on Friday. “‘Well, yeah, you know, look how big he is? Damn.’”

The project is being put together by filmmaker Anthony Holt, whose 2015 documentary “Gone In An Instant” told the story of former basketball Wildcat Antoine Walker’s journey from multi-million dollar NBA player to bankruptcy and how he has remade himself since.

Lorenzen first met Holt at the Walker film’s debut. “(He) said ‘hey, I want to do something with you. Here’s my phone,’” Lorenzen recalled in a phone interview with the Herald-Leader on Monday. But Lorenzen thought the former Western Kentucky and Georgetown College product was just giving him a typical “Hollywood” pitch and didn’t think Holt was serious.

They met again later that year at the UK Hall of Fame ceremony where Lorenzen and Walker were among those honored. Holt made his pitch again. Still skeptical, Lorenzen said “Here’s my number, call me.”

Holt not only called, he also hooked Lorenzen up with two high-profile fitness and nutrition experts in Gunnar Peterson, a celebrity personal trainer to Hollywood stars and pro athletes, and Philip Goglia, a nutritionist and former body builder whose credits include getting actors in shape for roles in a number of Marvel superhero movies.

“We started spitballin’ and that’s where we came up with the idea of doing it,” Lorenzen said of the project.

The teaser video released Friday shows Lorenzen talking with Peterson and Goglia and some of the training he began doing.

“We went about two months hardcore, but we had to put it on delay because with Gunnar, his schedule got too busy,” Lorenzen said about his regimen. “We’re going to get back going hardcore again in about a month.”

That’s about the time when the project will begin posting on the Now Lets Get Fit Foundation’s website, Nowletsgetfit.com, which has “Coming Soon” on its homepage for now, but will include testimonials, weekly workouts, nutrition plans and meal preparations that will allow people to follow along and join Lorenzen on his journey.

“It’s been fun so far, but the cameras haven’t been everywhere, yet,” Lorenzen said. “We’ll see (how it goes) when that happens.”

bnw

Pro Bowler
I'd still go long on the all you can eat buffets around his town. Food addiction is unbelievably difficult to overcome. I wish him luck.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
I remember him... He has to be the best QB ever in the NFL to straddle the 300# line...Doesn't Newton come in at like 260 plus or something ??? But he has a big body, not a big gut...

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Food addiction is unbelievably difficult to overcome. .

Sure is dealt with it my whole life the only cure for me was running 5 miles a day and by the grace of god I'm still able to do it.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
This is disrespecting Jackie Moon.

Moon was a G yo. Here's a reminder.......

Zodi

Hall of Fame
“We went about two months hardcore, but we had to put it on delay because with Gunnar, his schedule got too busy,” Lorenzen said about his regimen. “We’re going to get back going hardcore again in about a month.”

This says a lot. When you're 500lbs, you shouldn't be taking any days off. Being undisciplined is what got you there in the first place. Hitting it "hardcore" for two months and taking time off doesn't work.

Hopefully he's not taking a break from changes to his diet, too, because when you're that weight, diet is 99% the issue. Calories in, calories out. It's not complex.