Meet the 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
http://www.billboard.com/articles/columns/rock/6812923/rock-roll-hall-fame-2016-inductees

N.W.A, Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple & Steve Miller Are 2016 Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Inductees
12/17/2015 by Gary Graff

nwa-1990-billboard-650.jpg

N.W.A
AL PEREIRA/MICHAEL OCHS ARCHIVES/GETTY IMAGES

With the induction of Cheap Trick, Chicago, Deep Purple and Steve Miller -- along with relative rookies N.W.A -- as its class of 2016, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is bringing some pre-holiday joy to fans who have felt those acts have been slighted and deserving recognition sooner than this.

The five acts, along with other honorees to be announced later, will be feted at the 31st annual Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony on April 8 at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, the second time the event has been held at the arena. HBO will again film the ceremony for broadcast later in the spring, most likely in May.

Tickets will go on sale to the public during February, with Rock Hall members receiving early access to a limited number of tickets.

The four classic rock acts have been among those often cited by critics who have charged the Rock Hall with being too elitist and dismissive of some of rock's massively popular groups -- particularly from the '70s. The class of 2016 begins to fill in some of those perceived "holes" in the Hall's ranks, and Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Foundation President and CEO Joel Peresman tells Billboard that changes made in the nominating process, particularly cutting the nominating committee in about half, may have created more of a portal for these acts.

"Before, when we had more than 40 people on the committee, there was just so little time for more than just going around the room and giving your list," Peresman says. "This year, there was more free-form discussion where people could truly be advocates and ask more and better questions. [The committee] could dig a little deeper into the importance and the impact of these bands and discuss them in greater depth and make more of a case that maybe helped get them on the ballot."

Despite being eligible before, it was the first year on the ballot for Cheap Trick, Chicago (which won the public fan vote, tallying nearly 37.7 million nods) and Miller, while Deep Purple and N.W.A have appeared before. The original quartet and septet lineups, respectively, of Cheap Trick and Chicago are being inducted, while the Deep Purple roster will encompass the group's first three lineups, including three teams of singers and bass players.

Some of the intriguing reunion possibilities for the ceremony include Chicago with singer/bassist Peter Cetera for the first time since 1985 and with drummer Danny Seraphine since 1990, Cheap Trick with estranged drummer Bun E. Carlos, and Deep Purple with guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, who's been gone since 1993.

The members of Deep Purple, of course, have been particularly caustic in their comments about the Rock Hall, with bassist Roger Glover telling Billboard this year that "it's not something we care about, to be honest," and guitarist Ritchie Blackmore saying last year that he likely would not attend the ceremony. But Peresman says the induction news was greeted with enthusiasm by the band's management. "It's very interesting that people have certain opinions about it when they're not inducted, and for the most part they put that past them and realize what an honor it is and really embrace it."

This year's class certainly gives hopes to fans of other bands -- notably the Moody Blues, Journey, Yes (which was on this year's ballot) but also many others -- who have been campaigning for their favorites' inclusions. Whether that pans out, of course, remains to be seen. "This was the result that came out of this particular year's meeting. We'll see how that goes next year," Peresman says. "Once it gets out of the [nominating] committee, it's really in the hands of the voters."

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
Glad Cheap Trick finally made it in , was kinda shocked that Chicago wasn't already in , along with Journey and The Moody Blues , o_O , crazy

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Look how long it took those wunderkinds to get Rush in there so you never know what to expect.

NWA can be credited with a lot (not all good IMO) but how are they in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame? This is silly.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
NWA needed to be in there.

Books have been written and ignored about what they brought to light in their reflective art and it wasn't until the corporate takeover of "gangsta rap" and sellout artists just looking to get paid that the form became exploitative to everyone involved.

It wasn't until the Rodney King video that a lot of white America believed the truth that it was different for people of color.

They were an important voice in music and like Public Enemy they needed to be enshrined.

Of course, as with any disruptive influence, nothing's perfect and there were plenty of unfortunate moments. The same could be said of just about any disruptive artist from the protest music of the 60's to punk artists of the 70's and 80's.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Chicago.... one of my favorite groups ever!

BUT, mainly (95%) for those first three albums. Ground-breaking!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
NWA needed to be in there.

Books have been written and ignored about what they brought to light in their reflective art and it wasn't until the corporate takeover of "gangsta rap" and sellout artists just looking to get paid that the form became exploitative to everyone involved.

It wasn't until the Rodney King video that a lot of white America believed the truth that it was different for people of color.

They were an important voice in music and like Public Enemy they needed to be enshrined.

Of course, as with any disruptive influence, nothing's perfect and there were plenty of unfortunate moments. The same could be said of just about any disruptive artist from the protest music of the 60's to punk artists of the 70's and 80's.

Their music is a totally different genre though. It's like putting Metallica in the jazz Hall of Fame.
I'm not arguing how important they are, or their role in contemporary rap/hip hop or anything like that. But the Rock Hall??? NO.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
How different is Pfunk from Stevie Nicks? It's pretty hard to define rock and roll and it's incorrect if you only think of it as defined by electric guitar driven sounds. It's why the electors who know more about it than you or I will ever know put them on the ballot and they got voted in.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
How different is Pfunk from Stevie Nicks? It's pretty hard to define rock and roll and it's incorrect if you only think of it as defined by electric guitar driven sounds. It's why the electors who know more about it than you or I will ever know put them on the ballot and they got voted in.

Ummmm, if you can find ANYONE who would classify NWA as "rock and roll" or influencing "rock and roll" I wanna talk to them.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
I think of it less as the music and more of the attitude. NWA absolutely emodied the in your face, loud and in charge rock and roll attitude. And this was before there was a template like that to follow in the world of hip hop. Is it a coincidence that after NWA came guys like Tupac and Notorious BIG, who's personas are larger than their musical catalogs?

NWA aren't rock and roll, but their style and impact fit the bill.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
That's like letting a Hockey player into the Football Hall of Fame , just because they both wear pads and a helmet

Well , there almost the same thing ...kinda sorta

Walz101812.jpg

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think of it less as the music and more of the attitude. NWA absolutely emodied the in your face, loud and in charge rock and roll attitude. And this was before there was a template like that to follow in the world of hip hop. Is it a coincidence that after NWA came guys like Tupac and Notorious BIG, who's personas are larger than their musical catalogs?

NWA aren't rock and roll, but their style and impact fit the bill.

If/when there is a Rap HOF should Mettalica or Green Day be nominated?

Nooooooooooo.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's like putting Metallica in the jazz Hall of Fame.

Didn't Jethro Tull win a Grammy in the heavy metal category a few years back? Not saying I agree, just saying that the genres seem to be pretty mixed up these days.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Didn't Jethro Tull win a Grammy in the heavy metal category a few years back? Not saying I agree, just saying that the genres seem to be pretty mixed up these days.

It was 27 years ago, 1989 and yes they did. Now they had released a rock album so they were actually "in genre" but Alcohollica was robbed that should have been their Grammy.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Cheap Trick are HOF worthy? IDK, they played at my work last week and their catalogue seems a little thin for the HOF.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
EVERYTHING seems to be mixed up these days. Maybe NWA identifies as a rock and roll band. :mrburnsevil:

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
It was 27 years ago, 1989 and yes they did. Now they had released a rock album so they were actually "in genre" but Alcohollica was robbed that should have been their Grammy.
Alcohollica, I remember being in high school in 1985 and having a stoner buddy of mine telling me about how this band was the best thing out there. I thought he was high as a kite...until I started listening to "kill em all". It blew the hard stuff I was accustomed to out of the water, I was hooked pretty quick....