Meet Mike Groh, the Rams wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Why-Mike-Groh-is-College-Football%E2%80%99s-Recruiter-of-the-Year.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Groh

Mike Groh, 44, is an NFL coach and former football player, currently the wide receivers coach and passing game coordinator for the Los Angeles Rams. He is a former starting quarterback at the University of Virginia.

Groh was hired as an assistant for his father Al, who was head coach of the New York Jets in 2000.Groh was hired on the Virginia staff in 2001 as the wide receivers coach before he took on the task of coaching the Cavalier quarterbacks in 2003 along with the receivers. Then in 2006, he was named the teams offensive coordinator. He was relieved of the offensive coordinator position at the University of Virginia in December 2008.

Groh spent the 2009 season at Alabama as an offensive graduate assistant as the Crimson Tide recorded a 14–0 record en route to the National Championship. Louisville Cardinals head coach Charlie Strong announced, on January 13, 2010, that he has hired Mike Groh to coach the quarterbacks at University of Louisville. On February 7, 2011, it was announced he had been given the job of wide receivers coach at the University of Alabama.

On February 21, 2013, it was announced that Groh was hired by the Chicago Bears as wide receivers coach. On January 25, 2016, the Los Angeles Rams announced they had hired Groh as their new passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...eivers-coach-mike-groh-go-20160128-story.html

Why did the Bears let wide receivers coach Mike Groh go?
By Brad Biggs/Chicago Tribune

750x422

Jay Cutler talks with wide receivers coach Mike Groh. (Jonathan Daniel / Getty Images)

Why did the Bears let wide receivers coach Mike Groh walk away to join the Rams? Was he out of contract or doesn't he need permission to join another staff? Please explain when coaches can leave and when their wish can be denied. -- Benedikt G., Bonn, Germany, from email

Groh remained under contract to the Bears for one more year and had to be granted permission from the team to meet with the Los Angeles Rams before he was hired as their passing game coordinator and receivers coach. Had the Bears denied permission to Groh, he would not have been able to meet with the Rams or leave for the job. With the title of passing game coordinator, Groh gets a slight elevation with the Rams where he’s almost a co-offensive coordinator with Rob Boras, the former Bears tight ends coach under Lovie Smith.

I don’t know that John Fox has a hard and fast rule when it comes to making determinations on his assistants, but he strikes me as the kind of guy that isn’t going to block assistants on his staff from advancing their careers. He’s been in the league a long time and knows how difficult it can be to climb the ranks in the profession.

In Groh’s case, he had hoped to switch from receivers to quarterbacks after Dowell Loggains was promoted to offensive coordinator. Groh was a former college quarterback and moving from receivers to quarterbacks would be a natural progression in a goal to becoming a coordinator. The Bears hired Dave Ragone, who has a working history with Loggains, to coach quarterbacks and then this opportunity materialized for Groh.

It’s a loss for the Bears’ staff because Groh did fine work with Alshon Jeffery in his time at Halas Hall and also helped bring along Marquess Wilson. The new wide receivers coach will have to refine the game of Kevin White this coming year.

http://www.chicagobears.com/team/coaches/Mike-Groh/3c0cf60d-4ab9-4dc2-b430-b31d6eaeb1b9

Under Groh, the Bears have had three 1,000-yard receiving seasons with Alshon Jeffery reaching the mark in both 2013 (1,421) and 2014 (1,133) and Brandon Marshall reaching the plateau in 2013 (1,295). Jeffery is fifth in the NFL in receiving yards (2,554) over the last two seasons under Groh's leadership and ninth in receptions (174) and tied for ninth in receiving touchdowns (17). Despite battling injuries, Marshall's 20 touchdown receptions since 2013 are tied for seventh most in the NFL.

Click the link below to watch videos...

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Three-Takeaways-Passing-Game-Coordinator-Mike-Groh/05e9745c-586c-4e1f-a0ef-a30f6e4324e5

Three Takeaways: Passing Game Coordinator Mike Groh
Posted Feb 18, 2016
Myles Simmons/Rams Insider/@MylesASimmons

The Rams’ new passing game coordinator and wide receivers coach Mike Groh has been on staff for a number of successful offenses over the course of his career. Now he’s charged with improving Los Angeles’ air attack -- a challenge, but one Groh can handle.

Our Dani Klupenger recently sat down with Groh to get to know a bit more about his history and his approach to the Rams’ passing game and wideouts. Here are a few takeaways from their conversation.

1) An offense that’s in demand

One of the benefits of bringing in Groh is his extensive experience working in different systems. Over the past couple years, new Dolphins head coach Adam Gase has been widely regarded as one of the more innovative offensive minds in football. Gase was the quarterbacks coach in Denver when the club beat the Steelers in the 2011 playoffs with Tim Tebow as quarterback, and then ascended to offensive coordinator with Peyton Manning as the club’s signal-caller.

In 2015, Groh worked alongside Gase with the Bears under head coach John Fox.

“Being in the system I just came out of -- whatever you want to call it, ‘Peyton’s system,’ the ‘Adam Gase offense’ -- is something that I think is sought after in this league right now,” Groh said.

In addition to Gase, Groh worked with another well-regarded offensive mind in Chicago: Marc Trestman.

“My experience being in that system to go along with working for coach Trestman for a couple years, and being in the West Coast offense, I think, are some of the things they were looking for [with] some new pass ideas,” Groh said. “Hopefully, I can bring that.”

It’s no secret the Rams’ passing game was poor in 2015, as the club ranked No. 32 in yards passing. With Groh now on board, the expectation is that Los Angeles should be able to make significant strides next season by implementing the different concepts Groh has come across throughout his career.

2) Glad to be on the same side as Austin

If there’s one player Groh seems to be particularly excited to coach, it’s wide receiver Tavon Austin.

“Tavon -- he’s a threat to score every time he gets it,” Groh said.

Austin’s ability to impact a game is obvious, as evidenced by his 1,187 all-purpose yards and 10 total touchdowns in 2015. Now Groh will be able to help the West Virginia product take the next step in his development.

“We played against him a couple times in Chicago, and just preparing all through the week as I’m on the other side with the offensive scout team and listening to our defensive coaches talk and the emphasis they place on trying to stop him -- it’s nice to be on the same side that he’s on,” Groh said.

But as the passing game coordinator, Groh will work with the entire offense. He expressed a sense of optimism about the different position groups on the unit.

“I think we’re evolving right now,” Groh said. “We’re talking about what we want to do to try to move the ball and be more effecient offensively. But we have some very good players.

“We have a young group up front,” Groh continued. “If you just start with those guys, a lot of them were able to gain experience, whether it was through injury or what not. But a lot of first, second, and third-year players that have the ability to play well in this league.

3) The individual can be as important as talent

With the NFL Combine coming up next week, Groh will be one of many coaches and scouts evaluating the incoming rookies. Oftentimes, when people talk about players and their potential, they’re only referring to on-field talent. And while Groh clearly values what a player can do between the white lines, there is more to it.

“We have certain size and speed requirements that we think are important in critical factors in being able to play at this level,” Groh said, “But what you’re really trying to find out is about the person. How much they love the game, how important it is to them, how much they’re going to sacrifice their personal time to be great.”

That comes into play from his own coaching philosophy, as Groh described himself as someone who puts a lot into the little things.

“I’m certainly going to be an attention-to-detail guy,” Groh said. “We want to play with relentless competitive effort and dominate our opponent on every single snap, and then move on. You can’t live in the past -- we’ve got to move on to the next play. And just be process oriented. We dont’ want to worry about the results, we want to stay in the moment, stay in the process and the results will take care of themselves.”

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That was a good read.

I'm hoping Groh adds some fresh concepts to what we saw last year in the passing game.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I recall thinking his last note on focusing on what they're doing with the process approach is similar to what Martz used to teach. Martz would gameplan it up and not worry about what they defense was doing, it was all about executing their gameplan which was usually up to snuff.

So with Groh that's a good sign. I just hope he and Boras have that ability to out-gameplan their opponents. It's been a long, long time since the Rams have done that consistently.

Ram65

Legend
His resume as a college QB player and coach as well as college WR coach is very solid. His time with the Bears is solid good too. Groh stated "Attention to detail" that caught my attention and his intensity has to help this WR/TE group. The WR could use a fire light under them as well as Goff throwing quickly and accurately. I'm excited about the possibilities to improve the Rams offense.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I grew up in Virginia so I follow their program. I have nothing but respect for the Grohs. If nothing else, being coached by a Groh will result in disciplined and smart play. I like it because doing those two things lets your talent shine and our Rams have plenty of talent!

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
I'm excited to see all of this come together. With the mix of current young players and incoming new talent, I believe it is the Rams time to shine.

We are close to being able to say that WR, RB and TE are deep and talented.

Just removing Cooked from the lineup makes us better. (y)

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Great Thread @Prime Time, I'm very excited with the new additions to the offensive side of the coaching staff and it begins with Mike Groh. Did a great job in Chicago and combined with Rob Boras I feel very confident that the Rams will finally get things moving in the right direction offensively.

The addition of RB Coach Skip Peete (who had a history with Groh) and TE Coach John Lilly who at Georgia not only called plays from time to time, but coached all positions on offense should strengthen this team besides Boras now having a full year, but again without Groh I would not be a optimistic and with the selections of Cooper & Thomas combined with many UDFA Wide Receiver signings like Paul McRoberts and Marquez North the needle is pointing up and oh yeah there is that kid from Cal too at QB that might be pretty good, IMO, he's a sleeper.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Why didn't he go to Miami?

Maybe he felt if he can help the Rams receivers improve it would advance his career? The Rams receivers are generally regarded as bottom tier overall. If a guy came in and made them respectable he would be viewed as a hot commodity.