McVay's use of KIS and how I think the Rams will beat the Eagles

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEiP62ZR-Gg

McVay's play design is outstanding. He's without his star #1 WR Kupp so now what? But he has a rookie who has modeled his game off of Kupp and who has been mentored by him. So Sean simply goes with KIS when designing his plays for the first 4 games. He knows Nacua is seeing the field the same way that Kupp sees it. Stafford has given Puka his visual cues as to what he wants Nacua to do when running his routes.

This breaks down two simplistic plays that worked against the Colts who were playing a lot of zone schemes. It makes the underneath coverage predictable. KIS = Keep It Simple, a very basic but very effective play design to get Nacua, WR1A open. This video is very basic but it highlights some of the things McVay is doing and why this offense hasn't missed a beat. On both plays Jefferson was the setup man. Those who think Jefferson isn't doing anything need to watch this video because it puts everything into perspective.

When the Colts began to react to this KIS style, then McVay unleashes his option routes. If the LBs drop deeper then it will open the underneath routes and the TE (Higbee) comes into play. That is why Higbee had a big game as well. Those option routes work if both the WR and QB see the defense the same. Since Kupp has been mentoring the WRs they are all on the same page. Unknown to a lot of fans is how Staffords communicates with the WRs as to how he is going to throw the pass. If a WR is moving through the zone and Stafford wants him to sit it down at a certain point or continue running through the zone he cues the WR who then responds accordingly. That is why Allen Robinson didn't work out in LA's passing offense. He wasn't here long enough to understand the subtle communication going on during the play.

We saw a bit of that with Mayfield's throw to Jefferson to win the Raider game. They both saw Jefferson's open option down the sideline and the FS shading inside. Once Jefferson beat the CB he knew the ball was coming.

IMO I think we will see Jefferson and Atwell in rotation. When Atwell comes in he will be the Y or Z receiver and Puka will move to X. The success Nacua and Atwell had during Kupp's absence can't be understated. It's what will take this passing offense to another level with Kupp back in the picture.

The offense will win or fail against the Eagles based on the play of the OL. They don't have to be dominant, they simply need to be efficient. The Eagles will likely stuff the box early to stuff the run. If they do the Rams simply need to protect Stafford and he will cut them up. If that happens the Eagles will back off. It's no different than when they played the Niners. The strength of the Eagles' defense is their front 7. If the Rams can't keep them from stopping the run and pass with pressure the game is lost. But if they buy enough time for Stafford the Rams will cut that secondary up and win this game.

This game will be won or lost on how good the OL plays vs the Eagle front 7. Defensively the Rams need to make the Eagles pass to win. The Eagles run to set up the pass. Stuff the run and you then can focus on beating them with tight coverage. This is why I hope Mathis is able to start at DE.

This could be a young Rams team coming of age. Jalen is a good QB who has a very good arm. His weakness is his ability to process the play quickly. There are times he looks hesitant, i.e. uncertain about what he's seeing. Mentally pressure Jalen and prove he can make quick good decisions. Make him unsure of what he's seeing. That's how you beat the Eagles.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
KIS?
In the Navy we used to call it KISS;
"Keep It Simple Stupid".

But I appreciate you not calling me stupid. :)

Last edited:

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
I think the Miami Heat will ultimately be happy to have avoided taking on Damian Lillard’s contract and, instead, allowing their young talent to show what they can do in the Heat’s system.