McVay’s offensive scheme

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m an old dude, so what do I know. But I have some genuine questions.
1. If our personnel is the problem, why didn’t we know that in camp?
2. I do not understand the Gurley usage at all. If it’s pitch count, that only works if you have good alternates that can spell the stud back. We ran well against some decent defenses, but I can’t figure Mcvays thinking.
3. Don’t think we have won one game this year when pass to run ratio is 2:1...not one. It wouldn’t shock me if Gurley forces a trade. If he doesn’t, then he’s hurt.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I'm with you on points 2 & 3. Gurley's usage this season has baffled me and I have never bought into this knee problem BS. I think at times what we are witnessing is McVay channeling his inner Martz. To me changes need to be made on the defensive side of the ball; Weddle, Brockers, Matthews, and Fowler all need to go.

Psycho_X

Legend
Scheme is fine, he has adjusted throughout this season to compensate for our issues by getting Higbee more involved and rolling Goff out. His play calling can be frustrating at times but after last night and seeing McVay's frustration with Goff after his mistakes I think some of the problem patterns I'm seeing is due to audibles by Goff. For instance, the third down wr screens that seem way to predictable that teams started snuffing out half a season ago... it sure seemed like that was an audible by Goff and McVay was not happy with it.

So anyway, scheme is fine... oline is not, Goff is Jekyll & Hyde this season, and play calling/audibles have been bad at times.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
What scheme works when your center is in the backfield .25 seconds after the snap?

I agree with others that the fault of our offense is personnel moreso than scheme, but I would like for McVay to get a qualified OC this offseason.
If I were the GM I'd hire Callahan as our new OL and run game coordinator, add Scherff in FA and draft a Center (could be anywhere from 2nd to 5th round or so). From there I'd try to get Whit to agree to a one year contract where he understands it's a transitional (hopefully) deal for one of the kids to settle in on the blindside. That should give McVay a line he can scheme it up behind.

This draft should offer really good options at 5T. SJD can play there I think, and Fox is a solid depth option, but Smart is absolutely terrible even when he's only in there for a handful of snaps.

We need off ball LBs too in the worst way. We have guys who can cover a bit, and guys who can be physical, but none of them can do both. Maybe this will be the year a top LB option finally is sitting there at our pick in round 2. And btw if we can't find a way to lock up Littleton the need increases of course. Littleton is a plus ILB, and an excellent cover option, but he's not elite in run fits and the Rams need to avoid paying him like a complete backer.