McVay's Best Coaching Performance in quite a while

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
For the last couple of years, I have felt that McVay's play calling has had less variety and that he has been surpassed by many others as an innovative offensive mind.
No complaints with Rams SB, I guess.

That said, with the glaring Oline issues, McVay at his best will be needed this year.
Yesterday's game was refreshing in that sense against a strong defense with a makeshift Oline.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The jet sweeps are much better, they are quick and tough to defend. I would like to see more of Atwell doing this, just based on his ability to break contain outside. Powell does have some good running skills, but sometimes dances more then he runs.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Makes you wonder, did McVay dial in the play calling from Coen? Or vice versa? Really dont know who to credit or blame for the peaks/valleys that are attributed to play calling

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Makes you wonder, did McVay dial in the play calling from Coen? Or vice versa? Really dont know who to credit or blame for the peaks/valleys that are attributed to play calling

It could be McVay to blame. This is the worst situation he’s had to deal with and this could be a “learning” type situation. Maybe he’s just figuring it out. I’ll say one thing though, a few years back McVay had to reinsert himself more into the offense preparation, and positive changes occurred. I hope this situation is the same. We need more of what we saw in the second half.

fearsomefour

Legend
The jet sweeps are much better, they are quick and tough to defend. I would like to see more of Atwell doing this, just based on his ability to break contain outside. Powell does have some good running skills, but sometimes dances more then he runs.
The Panther have struggled with runs outside the tackles.....it wasn't the RBs getting the ball but those jet sweeps were a way to take advantage of that weakness.
One thing I like about Tutu on the jet sweeps is he took what was there.
There was 9 yards available on the one and he took it with purpose. If he would have danced around it would have easily turned into a 2 yard gain. Powell is explosive but yes, too much dancing.
I really like using Powell or Atwell on those wheel routes. Powell had that TD is the OL gave him time. Would like to see that implemented again next game.
One upside of all the injuries is finding some roles for Skowronek, Powell and Tutu.
When the team gets as close as its going to get to healthy there will be a lot of teams to prepare for.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No offense but "No complaints with Rams Super Bowl, I guess" is an entitled thought process that I want no part of.

McVay isn't perfect but he averages near 11 wins per season and is on the short list of head coaches who have taken two QBs to the Super Bowl. And we won one, which is something several fanbases have never experienced.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For the last couple of years, I have felt that McVay's play calling has had less variety and that he has been surpassed by many others as an innovative offensive mind.
No complaints with Rams SB, I guess.

That said, with the glaring Oline issues, McVay at his best will be needed this year.
Yesterday's game was refreshing in that sense against a strong defense with a makeshift Oline.

Once he came out of his shell, then it was a good coaching performance. In the beginning of the game both offensively and defensively the Rams were just trying to be too conservative.

I get that they have Oline issues, but they still have Stafford, Kupp, Skow, and ARob. It’s not like the entire offense needed to be shut down,

Then on Defense you would have thought they were afraid of pj Williams arm. It took an entire drive + some for them to realize that they had nothing to fear aside from CMC.

I’m happy they decided not to be afraid of the shadows and try to win instead of trying not to lose.

Now they need to keep it going.

Cjcinec

Rookie
Name
Chris C.
McVay seemed to finally make adjustments at halftime. I’m sure that Noteboom’s injury made him finally try something different. It could have been Stafford’s UGLY pick 6. The jet sweeps and screens used to be a staple in McVay’s offense. Lots of talk about the Rams doing that to help out Jared Goff. Maybe McVay realizes Stafford needs some of the same type of help right now.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Saw a couple of looks on the sideline that showed McVay was pissed. I’m glad to see some of that fire maybe it will help motivate him and the team.

3-3 after all the injuries this team has suffered is showing some heart and with the guys they have coming back this team is still capable of making a run.

Donald and the defense need to step up, they are too good to be out of any game.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
Saw a couple of looks on the sideline that showed McVay was pissed. I’m glad to see some of that fire maybe it will help motivate him and the team.

3-3 after all the injuries this team has suffered is showing some heart and with the guys they have coming back this team is still capable of making a run.

Donald and the defense need to step up, they are too good to be out of any game.

Our defense has played well, except for the Buffalo game. But even then, the defense forced 4 turnovers. But aside from turnovers, Buffalo ran the ball down our throats.

If our offense was clicking this season, we would be sitting at 5-1 right now. The whiners only scored 17 against our defense. We would have won that game if our offense held up their end.

Until out O line is stabilized, McVay might need to get creative and run those sweeps. move the pocket and do some of the things that he did to help Goff.

oldnotdead

Legend
The OL will look a whole lot better with Allen at center to make the calls correctly. Take some of the load off of Stafford who can focus more on the secondary.

Jackson is a very good OT and the Rams hit gold when they signed him. Aboushi could be a serviceable RG until Shelton returns in a couple of weeks. Evans and Edwards at LG are the weak links. If Aboushi looks serviceable at RG that would allow them to move Shelton to LG. Jackson, Shelton, Allen, Aboushi, and Havenstein might be an OL good enough to get them through the season.

With the return of Jefferson, it will go a long way in allowing McVay to run his normal offense. If Robinson is hitting his stride it will force secondaries to game plan him. With Jefferson back to stretching the secondary and Kupp drawing double coverages, Robinson's production looks to increase.

I'm expecting to see a whole different offense than what we've seen thus far. The problem is at both OG positions. You know DCs will focus on those positions. Both Aboushi and Evans / Edwards are not particularly good at blocking on the second level. I think the OL will still be an issue until Shelton returns. The OL can cover up one wart but not two.

We know this team is capable of going on a run. I expect them to peak in Dec which is a good time to do it.