McVay really has his hands full with this O renovation, huh?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
It might be overwhelming if he thinks too much about it, tbh.

Consider what must be "fixed" on O alone, and simultaneously, at that. The "simultaneously" part is what's so daunting.

Goff. Only 7 games of NFL experience, and those 7 games were very forgettable, to be charitable.

Gurley. A promising rookie in '15 that fell off a cliff in '16.

The OL. A '16 underachieving unit, to be kind. Simply pathetic.

The WR corps. Was just awful in '16 with the sole exception of Britt, and he's gone. One of the worst units in the league last year.

The TE corps. Hardly put fear in the hearts of opponents last year, did it? And so young.

Man, that's a LOT of moving parts that must be fixed simultaneously.

Offhand, can anybody recall such a steep multiple challenged O that a new HC had to deal with in his first year as a HC in the NFL? Me neither. I mean, every single part of this O was a trainwreck last season.

And yet...

I'm optimistic about the future of our young HC. I truly believe that McVay will unify these players and maximize their abilities to the point that the Ram O will become not only respectable but actually effective in this, their first year under his direction.

Given the D and ST expected from Wade and Fassel, respectively, I still see 10-6 as a possibility for the Rams this season. Maaaaaybe even playoffs as a wild card.

If that happens, or if McVay even comes close, then he would deserve a parade downtown given the O challenges outlined above, don't you think?

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Top 5 offensive coaching staff verses dead last. I don't think this a renovation. I think it's an awakening.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
The scheme alone should help every single player on our offense.

The icing on the cake is hearing players say that there is "a lot of coaching" going on. In other words, our coaches WILL get the most out of what we have. The players see to be buying into what this staff is selling, and while McVay gave them an extra practice off (like Fisher did quite a bit) I think during the practices these coaches are very on top of all the small things that Fisher didn't focus on. In the NFL small things can actually be huge things.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The OP is right about the moving parts, but the unavoidable fact is that no matter how much this unit struggles this year, it HAS to be better than last years offense. Consistency will be the struggle this year, with a much improved offense in the 2nd half of the season, imo. Our defense will be a revelation.

9-7.

nanotech

Rookie
220px-Carnac.jpg

OC_Ram

Restricted Free Agent
I see all those negatives as opportunities to improve this year, and there's a lot of opportunities

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
He articulates tasks very well, and he has the respect of all veteran assistant coaches. All that matters now is how that translates on game day. Quite optimistic myself too considering the dud of an offense I watched under Fisher's tenure

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he's a great offensive coach, as many of us think he is, he'll probably unearth quality all over the offensive roster and we'll find out there was more talent there than was thought. There is that chance that we have more talent than given credit for.

If not, well, he's still going to be a big upgrade. And this team still looks like it should have a solid or better defense to go with it. So I'm happy regardless just to see what should be a better overall offense and thus team.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Given the D and ST expected from Wade and Fassel, respectively, I still see 10-6 as a possibility for the Rams this season. Maaaaaybe even playoffs as a wild card.

LOL I luv ya 43......you say 10-6 every year! Then week one happens hahaha.

Top 5 offensive coaching staff verses dead last. I don't think this a renovation. I think it's an awakening.

I think it's fair to say it's a retooling.

There is that chance that we have more talent than given credit for.

Merlin I think you are right, and this is a very good point. I'm going to expand on it a bit.

In the last two years the Rams had to play with 2nd string QB's outside of Foles playing well for a handful of games. And the Rams were 4-3 at one point though Foles was falling apart IMO from the dirty hit in Green Bay. And add in Goff a rookie behind an OL that was a mess.

So they have next to nothing at the QB position

They have had ATROCIOUS offensive coordinators. Just horrible, and this cannot be overstated.......these guys were maybe the worst we have seen in the entire NFL in many years.

They have had a conservative defensive minded HC.

There has been a lot downward pressure on that side of the ball. A lot of converging drivers that have very possibly been holding back the players from really displaying their true level of talent. Maybe just a system change will bring things back in line.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There has been a lot downward pressure on that side of the ball. A lot of converging drivers that have very possibly been holding back the players from really displaying their true level of talent. Maybe just a system change will bring things back in line.

Agreed. Basically the leadership on that side of the ball was so bad that we don't know wtf we have. Which could be a good thing, who knows.

I am definitely, however, tired of the smug articles and constant knocks on Goff. If the above is true, we might be sitting on an elite QB. Think about that one a bit. And since none of us know how he's going to play, might as well hope he's that guy, at least from where I'm sitting.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Agreed. Basically the leadership on that side of the ball was so bad that we don't know wtf we have. Which could be a good thing, who knows.

I am definitely, however, tired of the smug articles and constant knocks on Goff. If the above is true, we might be sitting on an elite QB. Think about that one a bit. And since none of us know how he's going to play, might as well hope he's that guy, at least from where I'm sitting.

His college video is encouraging to me. His arm isn't strong but everything else seems to be there.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
I'm optimistic about the future of our young HC...........:smile::smile:.
tenor.gif
1jgrzw.jpg
rob-boras-15-2-2.jpg

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
I think McVay knows what it takes to win in today's NFL.

His moves to hire perhaps the best defensive coordinator in the game, and former head coach, reflect supreme confidence.

The decision to solidify the crucial LT position with a seasoned pro and jettisoning the underperforming screwup who previously manned that spot was both a wise step and sent the proper message to the rest of the team.

Still, when I look at the collection of wr's and OLer's McVay has to work with, I cannot expect much this season.

Competitive games, Goff performing as a capable qb, and a near break even record ought to have McVay in contention for coach of the year honors.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Daunting? I don't think so. The hardest thing for a coach is to get the players to buy into his system. And, considering the poor system that has been in place in the recent past, for the existing players, it is an easy sell. IN fact, we have already read positive feedback from the players about the system. All the other stuff is installation ; same as he did in Washington when he became O/C.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure it's as daunting of a task as it seems. Putting a coherent, modern scheme that doesn't waste time trying to be smarter than it is (through overcomplication) will make a world of difference to a lot of players. Plus, good coaching will help.

If anything, I think McVay might be more optimistic than most of us because he realizes just what a mess things were last year, and that teams will likely underestimate what this team has to work with this year. Well, that's what I'm hoping at least.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If anything, I think McVay might be more optimistic than most of us

It sure would be nice to have a beer with that dude and hear what he thinks off the record. And yeah, I suspect it would be a lot of not-nice stuff about the guys who preceded him on offense along with some hope that he can turn it around this year.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Hands full - yes, he's coaching these guys a totally new system. But I think the enthusiasm the guys seem to have for the system will go a long way in making this system succeed.

The improvements along the O-line should also help - LT is no longer our weakness for a start.

And I personally believe that our WR corp is going to be much better than expected this year, with the pass catching ability of Woods and Kupp and the explosiveness of Tavon I think we're in for a fun year...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
It's all going to come down to Goff' s ability to distribute the ball efficiently and quickly. The emphasis on TE shows us that the staff is doing what they can to give him a chance. I can see us doing a lot of seam routes with them to make up for our lack of WR talent and speed. If Gurley pulls his head out that'll also help with holding the safeties accountable.

I'm thinking our offense will basically be a game of cat and mouse with the opposing team's safeties. Our go go TA looks to be a decoy at best. Maybe we get him some open field between the twenties.

Anything is better than the past decade with this "O".

And I think our "D" takes time to adjust.

Could be ugly the first quarter of the season as we sort through our band of misfits to see who can actually ball...