McVay on Joyner and Watkins at Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think the conversation started with this thread was about our ability to sign these guys and not whether or not we SHOULD resign these guys.

May you resign them... yes you may. But can you. ;)

wolfdogg

Hall of Fame
Name
wolfdogg
When, not if, Sammy plays and produces double digit tds this season people who think we would be fine without him may rethink that conclusion. Take him out of this offense and who do you add to allow mcvay the same wide open play calling potential? He'll be in horns this fall, I guaronetee it

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, if they lose Watkins and Johnson, and don't sign any real big ticket guys, then they would likely get two 3rd round comp picks.

They can then utilize their cap space on adding few young mid priced players or stop gap vets, and lock up Donald & Joyner.

Then re-sign role players like Cody Davis, Matt Longacre, Havenstein, and Jamon Brown. Not to mention to set aside cap space for Gurley's new deal.

So this way you fill some key holes, while still developing guys like Reynolds, Everett, Goff, Higbee, John Johnson, Fox, etc... then you get the extra picks next year.
To me, that's another lost season.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
I'm still wondering what they're gonna do with Tavon Austin

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
It depends.... Look at the Eagkes last year. The biggest name player they added was Alshon Jeffrey who was coming off an injury plagued season.

They added nobody of the caliber of Peters and they were coming off a 7-9 season with an older team.

They did add middling/affordable vets that filled roles. Guys like Chris Long, Torry Smith, LeGarret Blount, Jay Ajaye, and maybe the best player in Tim Jernigan. So they did not break the bank in FA, and they were not coming off a 11-5 season.

My point is the Rams can target needs with mid range priced FA's, because they have enough stars and reality is you can't pay 7 or 8 star players. You need role players. Even the Eagles now have cap issues.... currently $10M over the cap.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Joyner....using the franchise tag on him

Watkins could be a goner.
After the miracles this staff pulled out of their rear end last year?

I would not count out them getting both guys in Rams uniforms next year too.

I think they want to get even more from that second they spent on him last year as well.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Is it just possible that McVay really likes Reynolds and Thomas as deep threats?

Maybe it’s not just coachspeak.

Maybe there’s a FA out there that they also like? Much like they felt about Woods last year.

Their actions between now and March 14 will speak volumes about their various strategies regarding multiple UFA’s.

I’m thinking that Watkins is not a slam dunk to be a Ram in ‘18, much less a tagged player.

This group really gets it.

He didn’t seem to confident in keeping Sammy.He did sound very disappointed in his play calling when it came to Sammy. Don’t forget his twit after a game. McVay did sound very high on Reynolds.

He did make sure to say what a good guy Joyner was & how much he means to the team.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I get the gut feeling Joyner is going to get tagged. Then it'll be up to Watkins to work a fair deal or test the market. Donald will get paid and I think we can get NRC signed. TJ is most likely gone but I'd love to be shocked by Snead on this one. Tavon is a goner if you ask me. I just hope we can work a trade to get something back for him. What are tag prices for WR and S?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think we re-sign Joyner and Watkins..No way we flush a 2nd rounder, which allowing Watkins to walk, does...We will save a shytload of cash by letting TruJo go and replace him with a much cheaper, more talented guy like Marcus Peters.

I'd be very surprised if we just forget about that #2 pick we gave up for him - he did an awesome job for the Rams last year, and looked like a totally different player off the field too, more level headed and mature than I've seen him in the past.

totally agree LR, and replacing Watkins doesn't look probable this upcoming season, no way, seems as if a lot of guys just look at his reception numbers, without regards to his taking the top off for Woods and Kupp plus his downfield blocking, which was just awesome
train

Again the triple threat of Watkins, Woods and Kupp was a thing of beauty to watch - add in Gurley, thats the best the Rams have looked in a VERY long time, and they've also got time to grow with McVay and Goff IMO

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Thanks but what about trading Austin? You think there are any dance partners with his salary?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
3 ints? You’re knocking him for the number of ints he had? Lol cute.

He allowed hardly any catches and I don’t think he missed a tackle all year. He was rated one of the best players in all of football coverage wise. Very flexible too as he can play deep, slot, or in the box. Rams had a top 10 scoring defense all season til they rested starters and let the niners put up a bunch of points.
3 int's over 4 years....yeah I'm knocking him....sorry.

I don't know about all the catches he prevented....nor the missed tackles....I saw where he was rated....coverage wise....I see he is flexible, as in, can play a variety of positions....does he play them all well???

Rams had a top 10 scoring defense......really??? We also played a last place schedule....and again....points scored has a lot to do with field position....I'm more of a believer in YARDS ALLOWED....and we finished 19th in those...

Is Joyner the problem....no...pretty decent player...deserves a raise....just not with us.

It depends.... Look at the Eagles last year.
ahhh....famous last words if I ever saw them....

Lets look....deep inside the Eagles....I see a team built around their front lines.....offensive and defensive....that is their true strength....

I'ma stay away from their QB's......for now....LOL

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member

Funny how we always divert into Tavon.

Good point though, in that he should have value after the roster bonus is paid. I've considered him a cut simply because he doesn't add squat on special teams, which is a requirement for depth, but there is that chance that a camp can help him settle in to this offense a bit more. I doubt it would help, mind you, just admitting it's possible.

Only problem is that his contract pays him over $9M after this season (2019, 2020, and 2021 seasons). So any team who deals for him would consider him as a one year rental who might have some impact, but that he has potential (longshot of course) to live up to the contract. Where he's attractive to other teams is the lack of a cap hit if you cut him. So what would the value be of a longshot one year rental?

I'm thinking maybe a fifth or sixth round pick, somewhere in that neighborhood. Barring that, he's a cut IMO.