McVay on Joyner and Watkins at Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Is it just possible that McVay really likes Reynolds and Thomas as deep threats?

Maybe it’s not just coachspeak.

I think that is unlikely. As much as I do like Reynolds there's no way I'd go into the season depending on him. And Thomas' future looks like special teams tbh.

There is no way around them wanting Watkins to stay. It might not happen if he prices himself out, but I think the effort will be made. Check out the audio link above, McVay talks a bit more about Watkins there.

Ram65

Legend
We will see how much SW values the CA climate and winning. We know he likes the weather in CA and if winning isnt important to him, do we really want him on the team?

As things move on Sammy is going to be the best WR in free agency. I can't see him staying for much less, weather and all. Hope I'm wrong.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
I do not think we should overpay for Watkins. He had lousy production for this offense. Woods had no problem adjusting. He also injury prone. So many people loved him out of college and his first year at Buffalo. Snead please do not overpay just for continuity and hoping he will get better. You made such a smart deal for Peters a better CB for a fraction of the price. Pay Watkins what he is currently worth if he wants to go so be it no more Austin type deals. Watkins 5-6m IMO

As for Joyner he is very valuable bc he can play multiple positions so we pay him.

This team has all the promise and momentum in the world right now now players will definitely want to come here make SMART deals not bloated ones. We will have Peters, Goff and Gurley coming up in a couple years.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I do not think we should overpay for Watkins. He had lousy production for this offense. Woods had no problem adjusting. He also injury prone. So many people loved him out of college and his first year at Buffalo. Snead please do not overpay just for continuity and hoping he will get better. You made such a smart deal for Peters a better CB for a fraction of the price. Pay Watkins what he is currently worth if he wants to go so be it no more Austin type deals. Watkins 5-6m IMO

As for Joyner he is very valuable bc he can play multiple positions so we pay him.

This team has all the promise and momentum in the world right now now players will definitely want to come here make SMART deals not bloated ones. We will have Peters, Goff and Gurley coming up in a couple years.

You forgot to mention Donald. He's the most important piece to this defense. :p

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I am FIRMLY IN the Watkins camp.

I think we sign him, at least I sure hope it can be worked out.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Woods also had an offseason and preseason in ours offense. Watkins nabbed 8 TD’s this season for us. That’s hardly lousy. The yardage was down, but we spread the ball very well.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
I think we re-sign Joyner and Watkins..No way we flush a 2nd rounder, which allowing Watkins to walk, does...We will save a shytload of cash by letting TruJo go and replace him with a much cheaper, more talented guy like Marcus Peters.

Well, if they lose Watkins and Johnson, and don't sign any real big ticket guys, then they would likely get two 3rd round comp picks.

They can then utilize their cap space on adding few young mid priced players or stop gap vets, and lock up Donald & Joyner.

Then re-sign role players like Cody Davis, Matt Longacre, Havenstein, and Jamon Brown. Not to mention to set aside cap space for Gurley's new deal.

So this way you fill some key holes, while still developing guys like Reynolds, Everett, Goff, Higbee, John Johnson, Fox, etc... then you get the extra picks next year.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I'm firmly in the re-sign Watkins camp.....I just see so much he can help this offense grow....

I could care less about Joyner or Tru.....Hell, Tru's already been upgraded....I could see us doing the same for Joyner....I like a couple of these DB's in this draft....Max Redfield, 6th round....would do nicely...
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018S.php#ixzz58S8DCzEe
Max Redfield, S, Indiana-Pennsylvania
Height: 6-1. Weight: 205.
Projected 40 Time: 4.59.
Projected Round (2018): 7-FA.
2/17/18: Redfield started out his collegiate career at Notre Dame before getting dismissed from the team after an arrest for possession of marijuana and an unlicensed firearm. After dropping down in competition, Redfield totaled 78 tackles with nine breakups and four interceptions as a senior. He had 64 tackles in 2016 and 68 tackles in 2015.
Gotta check that 40 time tho

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I'm firmly in the re-sign Watkins camp.....I just see so much he can help this offense grow....

I could care less about Joyner or Tru.....Hell, Tru's already been upgraded....I could see us doing the same for Joyner....I like a couple of these DB's in this draft....Max Redfield, 6th round....would do nicely...
http://walterfootball.com/draft2018S.php#ixzz58S8DCzEe
Gotta check that 40 time tho

You think we can upgrade from Joyner with some 6th round guy? Lol I mean I know you hated on Joyner before the season but come on. He clearly is a great player and fit for this defense. He does things your boy Randolph could only dream of doing ;)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You think we can upgrade from Joyner with some 6th round guy? Lol I mean I know you hated on Joyner before the season but come on. He clearly is a great player and fit for this defense. He does things your boy Randolph could only dream of doing
Cute....

3 int's and NO, I haven't forgotten his first 3 years....sorry....nor his childish outburst towards Fisher...

Our defense overall was 19th.....maybe Joyner was good....great even....doubt it...but lets say he's just that....How do we improve our D???? Keeping guys that have expired deals, or trying to find better replacements....either in cost or play?

I am curious what has become of the rhino tho.....
http://www.nfl.com/player/brianrandolph/2556659/profile
....hmmmm

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
Cute....

3 int's and NO, I haven't forgotten his first 3 years....sorry....nor his childish outburst towards Fisher...

Our defense overall was 19th.....maybe Joyner was good....great even....doubt it...but lets say he's just that....How do we improve our D???? Keeping guys that have expired deals, or trying to find better replacements....either in cost or play?

....hmmmm

3 ints? You’re knocking him for the number of ints he had? Lol cute.

He allowed hardly any catches and I don’t think he missed a tackle all year. He was rated one of the best players in all of football coverage wise. Very flexible too as he can play deep, slot, or in the box. Rams had a top 10 scoring defense all season til they rested starters and let the niners put up a bunch of points.

nighttrain

Legend
Cute....

....hmmmm
, he’s a free agent.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Joyner is an absolute must re-sign, along with NRC and Donald. I don't care about their size; they're players.