McVay on Joyner and Watkins at Combine

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

WestCoastRam

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think this all but confirms what some of us are thinking. They'll prioritize Joyner and that means using the franchise tag on him if they have to. Watkins could be a goner.

I think there were a number of posters who thought that we could keep both Joyner and Watkins, I think that's a remote possibility.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I think it’s a very slim change we actually resign Johnson. But it would be a great move.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think it’s a very slim change we actually resign Johnson. But it would be a great move.

I would not be surprised if McVay simply said that in the same vein we would say, "Hey, sure, there's a CHANCE an asteroid will hit earth at 3pm tomorrow in Lake Kalamazoo."

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
How great would it be for McVay and Donald's Agent to finalize Donald's Contract at the Combine!!(y):D

WestCoastRam

Legend
If we lose Watkins, I think it's important to note that we don't necessarily have to replace his entire skill set. We would just need to find someone who could regularly take threaten to take the top off of the defense. I'm a little concerned that Reynolds and Thomas are unproven and while they have sneaky speed, are just short of having elite speed. I wonder if we would go after an aging vet with a tiny bit of juice left in his legs - say an Emmanuel Sanders?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think we re-sign Joyner and Watkins..No way we flush a 2nd rounder, which allowing Watkins to walk, does...We will save a shytload of cash by letting TruJo go and replace him with a much cheaper, more talented guy like Marcus Peters.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think we re-sign Joyner and Watkins..No way we flush a 2nd rounder, which allowing Watkins to walk, does...We will save a shytload of cash by letting TruJo go and replace him with a much cheaper, more talented guy like Marcus Peters.

It takes two to tango. Or three to foxtrot here though.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It takes two to tango. Or three to foxtrot here though.
I think Watkins had a great time here last year. Pay him some cash and reassure him that his place in an explosive offense will feature him more and the playoffs almost every year....or more. We'll sign him, I believe.

We could franchise tag him in any case, instead of Joyner...

Ram65

Legend
McVay doesn't really give much insight on the possible resignings. Surprised he said

McVay called re-signing Joyner “a huge priority”

I guess it's no big secret. TruJo is gone.

nighttrain

Legend
totally agree LR, and replacing Watkins doesn't look probable this upcoming season, no way, seems as if a lot of guys just look at his reception numbers, without regards to his taking the top off for Woods and Kupp plus his downfield blocking, which was just awesome
train

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
I really just want the the draft to be here. I can’t wait to see what this team looks like after FA signings and the draft. I’ve always looked forward to this stuff in the past, but this year I’m finding it hard to remain patient.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
totally agree LR, and replacing Watkins doesn't look probable this upcoming season, no way, seems as if a lot of guys just look at his reception numbers, without regards to his taking the top off for Woods and Kupp plus his downfield blocking, which was just awesome
train
yep, and we could franchise him no matter what...TruJo is gone and we should get a comp pick for him in the future. I'm fin with letting him go and having a cheaper more talented option in Peters. I think we also pick a great CB high in the draft, as well.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I think Watkins had a great time here last year. Pay him some cash and reassure him that his place in an explosive offense will feature him more and the playoffs almost every year....or more. We'll sign him, I believe.

We could franchise tag him in any case, instead of Joyner...

I truly hope you're right. I think signing Joyner who's the top of the FA class will be harder than anyone has anticipated. And if that's the case, I see them franchising Joyner. And then Watkins goes test the market as the best WR on the market available. My concern is that Watkins meeting with McVay last year was indicative of a guy who wasn't always having a great time here last year...

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I truly hope you're right. I think signing Joyner who's the top of the FA class will be harder than anyone has anticipated. And if that's the case, I see them franchising Joyner. And then Watkins goes test the market as the best WR on the market available. My concern is that Watkins meeting with McVay last year was indicative of a guy who wasn't always having a great time here last year...
The definition of him not having a great time is the Buffalo Bill's version of Sammy Watkins, imo.....That guy wasn't the same, playing for McVay.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I really just want the the draft to be here. I can’t wait to see what this team looks like after FA signings and the draft. I’ve always looked forward to this stuff in the past, but this year I’m finding it hard to remain patient.

Pushing the draft back these last few years (I think it's been pushed back a month?) really has made the offseason less tolerable for me.

Petrowsky

Rookie
Name
Petrowsky
Pushing the draft back these last few years (I think it's been pushed back a month?) really has made the offseason less tolerable for me.
I’m pretty sure it’s around the same time as usual. I know it’s been late April for the last decade or so. There was a draft in like 2014 that was early May. I could be wrong though.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I’m pretty sure it’s around the same time as usual. I know it’s been late April for the last decade or so. There was a draft in like 2014 that was early May. I could be wrong though.

My bad, I think you're totally right, in 2014 and 2015 it was moved a few weeks back and it's just stuck in my head that it's stayed that way. Funny how that's worked.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake

This.

I think everyone forgets we floated a 2nd rounder for a one year deal.