McVay on his second half comeback ...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

If you looked at the first-half box score from Sunday’s game, you’d have thought the Los Angeles Rams were down 20 points. They only ran the ball three times for a total of 5 yards, completely abandoning the ground game against the Arizona Cardinals for the first 30 minutes.

When a team goes away from the run that drastically, it’s usually because they’re playing from behind and trying to come back. But for the Rams, they never trailed by more than six points, yet Sean McVay refused to run the ball.

Something obviously changed at halftime because on the opening drive of the third quarter, the Rams ran the ball eight straight times and that sequence of plays couldn’t have worked out much better than it did.

• 17-yard run by Kyren Williams
  • 6-yard run by Williams
  • 14-yard run by Williams
  • 10-yard run by Williams
  • 6-yard run by Ronnie Rivers
  • 2-yard run by Rivers
  • 6-yard run by Williams
  • 1-yard loss by Williams
In total, the Rams gained 60 yards on those eight run plays, moving the ball methodically down the field and scoring on their 10th play of the possession, a 13-yard touchdown by Cooper Kupp.

It begs the question of what led to the dramatic philosophy shift coming out of the break. Sean McVay shed a little light on the subject after the game when asked what was said to his players in the locker room.

“What would you guess?” he said with a smirk, eliciting laughs in the media room.

Kidding aside, McVay said it came down to wanting the offensive line to impose its will and get going downhill rather than playing with more finesse in pass protection when they’re forced to retreat and react rather than setting the tone.

In the first half, McVay essentially admitted the Rams felt they had to abandon the run based on what the Cardinals were showing pre-snap, leading to some audibles and a pass-heavy attack. But in the second half, he didn’t let Arizona dictate what the Rams were going to do on offense.

“We got talked out of some things that we didn’t necessarily need to and wanted to be able to set their pads and be able to go downhill,” he said. “I think it was a great mixture of things that they were able to allow us to get off. And you had some explosive runs. When you’re able to have 10, 17 and then the 30-yard hit, I mean, those are big-time deals and it was awesome. But their execution is what enabled us to be able to do that. Really proud of those guys.”

After rushing for only 5 yards on three carries in the first half, the Rams gained 174 yards on 25 carries in the second half. It’s the most rushing yards in any half during McVay’s head-coaching tenure, which shows how impressive the finish to the game was.

Williams was obviously at the center of it all, rushing for a total of 158 yards and a touchdown in the win, scoring the touchdown that served as the knockout blow by putting the Rams up 23-9 midway through the fourth quarter. But he was certainly helped by the offensive line, too, including right guard Kevin Dotson.

After the game, Dotson told Adam Grosbard of the OC Register that he wants the Rams to lean on the run first before going to the pass when it doesn’t work.

“It’s the best. Because we as offensive linemen are getting tired, but, ‘Do it again,’ because we know that benefits the whole team if we can run it,” Dotson said. “I believe that should be our first option before we start passing, really test the run. Just see how they deal with it.”

It was a complete team effort on Sunday, with the defense allowing zero touchdowns and the offense putting up 20 points in the second half. But the offensive line and the rushing attack were the biggest difference in the game.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG

After the game, Dotson told Adam Grosbard of the OC Register that he wants the Rams to lean on the run first before going to the pass when it doesn’t work.

“It’s the best. Because we as offensive linemen are getting tired, but, ‘Do it again,’ because we know that benefits the whole team if we can run it,” Dotson said. “I believe that should be our first option before we start passing, really test the run. Just see how they deal with it.”

Nice quote from Dotson in there:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice quote from Dotson in there:

Don't bench him for that Mcvay!

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Sean admitted that he was talking himself out of the run by what the defense was showing…that means DC’s can get in his head and manipulate him to become one dimensional. I hope he finds a new will to impose his running game and test any defense before abandoning the run.

Flint

Pro Bowler
Seems like teams allow themselves to get manipulated into throwing the ball. McVay has talked before about the looks they were getting being more favorable for passing. Like the giants/bills last night, Giants are on the 5 yd line with 7 seconds til half and no TO’s. The plan is to throw a quick pass and get a td or still have time for a fg if it’s incomplete. The bills show a pass defense look so the giants check to a run, which is exactly what the bills were hoping. Giants get stuffed and the clock runs out.
We hope that THIS time McVay figures out that that they should run the ball regardless, and good things happen.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I could not watch the game live so I had to watch the replay, at the end of the 1st half I asked my wife to check the final score before watching anymore; she said you will want to finish watching it. McVay was killing me in the first half once again channeling his inner Martz. I think this game may have helped him grow as a play caller.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I could not watch the game live so I had to watch the replay, at the end of the 1st half I asked my wife to check the final score before watching anymore; she said you will want to finish watching it.

When you heard that, I bet it was a really good moment.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams Week 6 snap counts: LA barely rotates on offense vs. Cardinals​

Cameron DaSilva
Mon, Oct 16, 2023, 7:34 AM PDT·3 min read

fd5bee40ce390c0382c1436b4577a76b

The Los Angeles Rams aren’t a team that rotates its players very often to begin with, but on Sunday against the Arizona Cardinals, they gave their backups even fewer opportunities than usual. The 11 starters on offense all played at least 82% of the snaps, with no one else playing more than 11%.
The gap between the starters and backups was narrower on defense, but Los Angeles still didn’t rotate its players much on either side of the ball Sunday.
That’s fine because the Rams won fairly easily, 26-9, but it could be a sign of the team’s lack of depth, particularly on offense.
Here’s a look at how the snap counts broke down on both sides of the ball.

Offense​

c66cafe7cfbb310b6be4b8c3715ccd56

Defense​

249a2cfeba8191210cdb5fc9dd97d6c9

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
Sean admitted that he was talking himself out of the run by what the defense was showing…that means DC’s can get in his head and manipulate him to become one dimensional. I hope he finds a new will to impose his running game and test any defense before abandoning the run.
Sounds to me like he was giving options to Stafford and the D look dictated the pass. So kind of staffords call.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rams PFF grades: Best and worst performers vs. Cardinals in Week 6​

Cameron DaSilva
Mon, Oct 16, 2023, 10:01 AM PDT·4 min read

763483d7378f63a7a6a53cab10295f11

Coming off a disappointing loss to the Philadelphia Eagles last week, the Los Angeles Rams badly needed a win in Week 6. They got one, cruising to a 26-9 victory over the Arizona Cardinals thanks to a 20-0 shutout in the second half.
Pro Football Focus graded the Rams very highly in this win, giving high marks to the likes of Matthew Stafford, Cooper Kupp, Byron Young and several others, putting all of them among the highest-graded players in the NFL this week.
Below are the best and worst performers on both sides of the ball, with a number of players receiving great scores from the analytics site.

Top 5 offense​

(Photo by Harry How/Getty Images)

Stafford is currently the highest-graded quarterback of Week 6, making four big-time throws with no turnover-worthy plays in the win. He only attempted 24 passes and completed 15 of them, but he totaled 226 yards and a touchdown through the air.
Kupp also had a fantastic game with seven catches for 148 yards, scoring his first touchdown of the season.
Dotson is the second-highest-graded offensive lineman in the NFL for Week 6 so far, which was helped by his 83.7 grade in run blocking. He’s played well since taking over at right guard.
Williams had the best day of his career, rushing for 158 yards and a touchdown, while also forcing a whopping seven missed tackles.
Havenstein paired with Dotson on the right side to dominate in the run game, earning a team-best 84.1 run-blocking grade on Sunday.

Top 5 defense​

(AP Photo/Ashley Landis)

(AP Photo/Ashley Landis)
Young was outstanding against the Cardinals, recording five pressures, one sack and two quarterback hits. His pass-rush grade of 88.7 ranks third among all defenders in the NFL this week.
Donald finished with seven pressures, his third game with at least seven, and three tackles for a loss. He was as disruptive as usual on the interior, both against the run and pass.
Jones only missed one tackle but he had 10 total tackles in the game, including three stops. He also had one pressure as a pass rusher.
Durant had arguably his best game of the season, allowing only one catch, missing zero tackles and breaking up two passes.
Fuller had five tackles and only allowed two catches on six targets, doing a great job against the Cardinals’ tight ends.

Bottom 5 offense​

It’s hard to fault any of these players for being in the “bottom 5” considering only 11 offensive players played at least 10 snaps, which is our qualifier.
Jackson tied the team-high with three pressures allowed, though none of them were sacks or QB hits.
Shelton only allowed one pressure and had the highest pass-blocking grade on the team (77.4), but his run-blocking grade of 57.3 was on the lower side.
Nacua had a costly drop in the first half, failing to come down with what would’ve been a touchdown in the end zone. PFF didn’t count it because defensive holding was called, but it was a mistake by the rookie.
Avila gave up two pressures and had a run-blocking grade of 51.7, so it wasn’t his best day.
Higbee was praised for his run blocking in the win, and deservedly so, but PFF only gave him a 64.0 grade in that department.

Bottom 5 defense​

Alex Gallardo-USA TODAY Sports

Alex Gallardo-USA TODAY Sports
None of these guys played particularly bad, and Witherspoon was especially good in coverage. He allowed just two catches on six targets, almost coming down with his third pick of the season.
Rozeboom came up with a huge interception when the Cardinals were driving and trying to tie the game, which made a significant difference in the outcome. He did miss two tackles, though.
Lake played more than usual and had three tackles, only missing one attempt and allowing two catches on three targets.
Durden was called up from the practice squad and failed to record a tackle, missing his only attempt on the interior.
Mathis had two pressures on 17 pass-rush snaps, including a QB hit.

Other notables​

(AP Photo/Ryan Sun)

(AP Photo/Ryan Sun)
Turner played more snaps as a true nose tackle and more than held his own, registering one pressure and three total stops.
Hoecht had his best game of the year so far, recording five pressures, including two quarterback hits.
Kendrick bounced back from a tough performance against the Eagles, allowing one catch for 26 yards on Sunday afternoon against Arizona.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd

Tano

Legend
Nacua and Higbee’s blocking was mentioned throughout the game and was clearly evident. They did a great job yesterday.

Isn’t it funny how much easier it is to commit to the run when it’s working?
Somewhat weird that McVay praise Skowrenek's run blocking when he was only in for 3 plays