Mcvay offense Skins vs. Cards

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
I rewatched this game last night on gamepass. Just going to leave a few observations that I had

Robert Kelley kind of reminded me of Gurley but he doesn't have anywhere near the explosion or physical size of Gurley.

Lance Dunbar will be filling the Chris Thompson role. Those guys are very similar players and watching that made me understand why Benny is gone.

Mcvay's passing game really attacks the entire field. Guys were consistently open too. Cousins had a few really inaccurate passes.

The design on the play that sprung Crowder for a TD was great

The offensive line really struggled in this game. I can't remember how many false start penalties there were. I think there was a false start on the first few plays from the Skins offense.

The skins really struggled to get into the endzone. Had to settle for a few field goals that you'd want to see your offense capitalize on (one of those due to a Cousins inaccurate pass).

It was an entertaining game to watch. The Cards came out on top I think it was 31-23. Skins probably win that game if they find more success in the red zone.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I rewatched this game last night on gamepass. Just going to leave a few observations that I had

Robert Kelley kind of reminded me of Gurley but he doesn't have anywhere near the explosion or physical size of Gurley.

Lance Dunbar will be filling the Chris Thompson role. Those guys are very similar players and watching that made me understand why Benny is gone.

Mcvay's passing game really attacks the entire field. Guys were consistently open too. Cousins had a few really inaccurate passes.

The design on the play that sprung Crowder for a TD was great

The offensive line really struggled in this game. I can't remember how many false start penalties there were. I think there was a false start on the first few plays from the Skins offense.

The skins really struggled to get into the endzone. Had to settle for a few field goals that you'd want to see your offense capitalize on (one of those due to a Cousins inaccurate pass).

It was an entertaining game to watch. The Cards came out on top I think it was 31-23. Skins probably win that game if they find more success in the red zone.
Red Zone struggles? Good thing we don't have that problem :whistle:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He excels in route combinations. Setting up a given defense with receiver routes designed to take advantage of various defenses and defenders as well. Really innovative mind on McVay...Check out SF HC K. Shanahan offensive plays....they use similar concepts.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He excels in route combinations. Setting up a given defense with receiver routes designed to take advantage of various defenses and defenders as well. Really innovative mind on McVay...Check out SF HC K. Shanahan offensive plays....they use similar concepts.

This is a reason it will be so important for Goff to get really good at pre-snap reads and defensive adjustments.

The running game and blocking combinations were good too. I like the way they pulled and moved those big guys around in the blocking scheme.

This was also a game to watch Sullivan. I'm not privy to watching and judging olineman, especially centers. But I didn't see any glaring problems. He had a few nice blocks that showed he could move guys.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
If there is a knock on McVay that I hear from Skins fans, it's his Redzone play calling. I heard from more than a few peeps that they got tired of end zone fades to short WRs like DJax.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Hopefully Matt Lafleur took some excerpts from Shanahan's offense to mesh with McVay's scheme, especially in the red zone.

Zodi

Hall of Fame
If there is a knock on McVay that I hear from Skins fans, it's his Redzone play calling. I heard from more than a few peeps that they got tired of end zone fades to short WRs like DJax.

I remember feeling the same about Martz. He could score seemingly easy from his own 30 yard line, but you put it on the opponents 10? Bring out Wilkins lol.

Hopefully we can utilize Gurley's power more in the redzone.

Zero

Pro Bowler
Very cool post A.J. and a great idea.

I think I will have to check that out myself.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Having a guy like Gurley in the redzone will be key. As the field gets smaller, you need more than a 1 dimensional offense.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Actually scoring the TD in the redzone is key, 3pt attempts should be non existent. I think McVays train of thought can make it happen...

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
I re watched is game last night on gamepass. Just going to leave a few observations that I had Mcvay's passing game really attacks the entire field. Guys were consistently open too. Cousins had a few really inaccurate passes.

Not trying to nitpick your opening post but to assume the Washington Offense was or is going to be 100% McVay's offense for the Rams in 2017 has me thinking a little bit out of the box.

I'm not saying that McVay's playbook won't come from many or most of the same concepts/designs that Jay or even John Gruden used but he does have free reign now as the big boss to manipulate the offensive playbook to any degree of changes that he didn't have under the authority of Jay Gruden as the OC.

The Rams in 2017 are not a sure thing to be an exact clone of what the Redskins did on offense under McVay's play calling. I might be wrong so don't take this as thinking you were not already aware of this.

It has crossed my mind a few times that McVay will have his own hybrid style of the Washing/Atlanta offense along with his own twists/wrinkles.

I'm curious to see what a McVay offense will totally look like with no restrictions to edit and do what he wants to with the offensive personnel he will have to work with on the Rams opening day roster.

images1.jpg

Last edited:

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not saying that McVay's playbook won't come from many or most of the same concepts/designs that Jay or even John Gruden used but he does have free reign now as the big boss to manipulate the offensive playbook to any degree of changes that he didn't have under the authority of Jay Gruden as the OC.

It's gonna be real similar IMO.

What McVay does real well is tie the run and pass together, and like all "good" coordinators he can dictate desired matchups through his gameplanning. He just needs to have enough weapons for Goff to spread it around to, and better line play. This guy doesn't run predictably or as much as some others, but he's got that healthy respect for the run game and how it all fits together.

What has me psyched is "what if he gets this offense going" this year. I mean just league average too, btw, when I say that. And what if Wade gets the defense rolling too? Not saying it's likely by any means, but the "what if" alone is some exciting stuff man.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
It will be nice even to reach the red zone. Feels like we ended 85% of our drives last season on the opposite side of midfield.