McVay: 'Not realistic' for Rams to get everyone paid

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

IBruce80

Tokyo Ram
Poor Gurley.
He went through all of the off-season onwards having to hear about his knee, and no one is any the wiser, and now he will have to go through what looks like another off-season with rumours about being traded...if Mike Silver is to be believed.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
According to nfl.com, Titans 3d in rushing yards, Rams 26th.
And the only difference is Saffold? That’s a huge leap of logic and deeply flawed. You can do better than that.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't overpaid imo, and as it turns out the Rams could have afforded him.
Perhaps they could have, at the expense of other productive people. And imo he was overpaid for his age. Also that line wasn't as good as it was at the end of the season until Taylor Lewan came back and got in his groove. I love Roger for his time here as much as anybody but I'm not upset we didn't fork out that money to a 31 year old with those injuries in his past.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Perhaps they could have, at the expense of other productive people. And imo he was overpaid for his age. Also that line wasn't as good as it was at the end of the season until Taylor Lewan came back and got in his groove. I love Roger for his time here as much as anybody but I'm not upset we didn't fork out that money to a 31 year old with those injuries in his past.
Agreed. Letting good players go is what the top teams do. Whether they stay top teams comes down to whether the replacements are any good.

The decision on Saff was not a bad one. Mistake was assuming Boom could do the job without a backup plan not to mention zero live game snaps in preseason. I think the Rams underestimated the run game impact basically and McVay has that lesson fresh in his mind now.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
They did go all in early with some key signings and trades. It could be argued that the roster simply needed an overhaul, but some of the guys that they brought in to be key contributors were more the short run types either due to age or expiring contracts. Fowler, Talib, Peters, and Whitworth come to mind. Another approach could have been to build slowly through the draft and work for the long run. I believe they wanted to make a splash in L.A. to build than support and also make use of Goff's rookie contract window.
Agree, and not that I mind, but I think that splash is turning into a crash as it pertains to contract values.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Agreed. Letting good players go is what the top teams do. Whether they stay top teams comes down to whether the replacements are any good.

The decision on Saff was not a bad one. Mistake was assuming Boom could do the job without a backup plan not to mention zero live game snaps in preseason. I think the Rams underestimated the run game impact basically and McVay has that lesson fresh in his mind now.

the story goes that the Rams wanted to keep Saffold but thought he would cost too much. They moved on andas it turned out, his contract with Tennessee was a number they could have worked with.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

What would the Rams Oline have looked like if Whitworth had been out with an injury. No Guard is going to carry an offense. Saffold was excellent with his second level blocks with the Rams. He would have been a good player to retain.

Tennessee also improved in great part to the QB switch.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
And the only difference is Saffold? That’s a huge leap of logic and deeply flawed. You can do better than that.

I didn't say that. The fact is that Tennessee ran the ball well and the Rams didn't. You can draw your own conclusions.

Could there be a connection? Losing Saffold certainly hurt the Rams running game. I'm not familiar enough with the Titans' season to go further in terms of what he contributed there, but they were successful.

If you think Saffold had nothing to do with either of these outcomes, feel free to say so.