McVay might prepare Rams for silent snap counts because L.A. fans are outnumbered

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Come on LA, Support your young, exciting team!!!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...snap-counts-because-l-a-fans-are-outnumbered/

McVay might prepare Rams for silent snap counts because L.A. fans are outnumbered

When the Eagles played the Chargers in Los Angeles, they said it was like playing a home game

Sean McVay knows better than to pretend that Los Angeles has been drawing big NFL crowds in 2017.

It's why the Rams coach, as noted by the Orange County Register's Rich Hammond, may very be planning to implement silent snap counts for the team's Week 13 showdown with the Philadelphia Eagles.

In prepping his NFC West-leading Rams for the 10-2 Eagles, McVay is at least partially ignoring the fact that his club will technically be at home in the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum:

Rich Hammond

✔@Rich_Hammond

McVay said he would consider practicing with silent count this week, after seeing how many Eagles fans were at StubHub for the Chargers game earlier this season.

8:15 PM - Dec 4, 2017

The Chargers, of course, have repeatedly made headlines this season thanks to their sparse crowds at the intimate StubHub complex. Eagles left tackle Jason Peters even went as far as suggesting the Chargers are playing all 16 of their regular season games "on the road" after Philadelphia fans seemed to dominate the audience for the Birds' early-season showdown with L.A.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
A local Philly radio station is bringing a group of 1300 fans out. They had put together a package to travel out to this game. Add in others that will show up and LA locals that are Philly transplants, Ram fans will have to be loud to make a difference. I expect to see fights in the stands... Philly fans can't go anywhere without being a problem.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
I’m really not trying to start anything, but is there a reason why LA can’t have a big crowd? I seem to remember we sold out the pre season game vs Dallas last year. We’re a much better team now. What gives?

When they first moved I was salty AF and thought LA could never support a football team again, let alone two. I really hope I’m wrong.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
Yes--WIP in Philly has their morning show guys going out there. And they are planning to "take over" the stadium. They talked to someone this morning who runs some sort of Eagles pub out in LA and he says that he's in some Eagles club that's going there and that the place will be packed with Eagles fans.

The Eagles have been saying what a big problem the crowd noise was for them in Seattle. They couldn't hear anything.

It's a shame that won't be a problem in LA. But hopefully they get surprised by LA fans. I'd love to see it.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Problem is LA is a city with a lot of transplants with otheer NFL loyalties so it will be tough to build a following that shows up every week and can keep tickets away from those transplants and those that pick an LA game as a getaway destination. Same thing happens to Miami. NFL teams will put together travel packages to preferred locations. I mean they are not going to do that for a game in Minnesota or Philly or Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh etc...

So unless you have a hardcore season ticket base of 50-55K or more, it will be tough keeping the interlopers from showing up.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Plus, I am sure LA fans look at this game as a way of paying for a portion of their tickets this year by selling just one game at 3x the ticket price... especially helpful at Xmas time.

HeiseNBerg

Pro Bowler
It's one thing to take over a stadium that has a seating capacity of 27,000. Especially when that home team had yet to win a game and was still trying to entice a fan base in a town that was largely apathetic about their arrival.

Even if there are 20,000 Eagles fans at the Coliseum this Sunday, they should still be outnumbered by Rams fans.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Even if there are 20,000 Eagles fans at the Coliseum this Sunday, they should still be outnumbered by Rams fans.
Yeah, and it's incumbent upon the local media to constantly hype this game and pressure the fan base to show up in force. I'm sure the Rams' PR Dept is doing its job too, but the local market has to exceed those efforts.

UnknownREknown

Well-unKnown Member
I'm not worried about the Philly fans in LA. I' worried about the Seattle fans in Seattle.

I'm sure this is working to combat that crowd.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
This is all based on the Chargers attendance? That's a joke. Chargers can't get 20K to come to a game. 1300 coming from Philly and that makes McVay have the Rams practice with a hard count? They'd do that anyway.

To suggest Eagles fans will out number Rams fans is ludicrous. Because of the layout of the Coliseum and how far the crowd is from the field, even at Trojan games it's hard for the crowd to make enough noise so the other team can't hear the snap count.

Hammond is full of:poop::liar::fuelfire:

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
I am taking a wait and see approach here. My Ram brothers need to show up in force and help their team secure a victory. Show some pride, meet this challenge and take what is yours.

bluecoconuts

Legend
The ticket resale value is high and they're moving. While we would love all Rams fans to go, knowing LA a lot of people are more than willing to sell at the right price, afterall everything in LA is expensive so extra cash is always good.

Happens with LA Kings and Chicago, a lot of season ticket holders will sell because those fans are willing to pay triple face value.

fearsomefour

Legend
I’m really not trying to start anything, but is there a reason why LA can’t have a big crowd? I seem to remember we sold out the pre season game vs Dallas last year. We’re a much better team now. What gives?

When they first moved I was salty AF and thought LA could never support a football team again, let alone two. I really hope I’m wrong.
All a matter of relavence.
The Rams, for example, rate rather low for home attendance but have outdrawn the Steelers by 25 or so thousand.
The size and crappyness of that old stadium doesn't help. Traffic etc.
Part of it is LA has always been (and So Cal as a bigger area) a baseball town. Then basketball, the Lakers specifically. And it ain't close.
LA supported the Rams in fine fashion for decades. I thought moving a second team there was a mistake.
LA is what it is. Fans (outside of the Dodgers and Lakers) are not that loyal to pro teams. It will take some time to build it up. What is nearly universal is when a team struggles fans don't show up. SF, Houston....same thing this year.
The other thing is you will always have a contingent of visiting fans in LA. Just like when the Rams moved to St Louis there were always a lot of Rams fans at games I went to in SF and Oakland. There are tons of transplants and it is an expensive place to play. Someone willing to pay you $400 for you $125 ticket for a game you can see on TV and avoid traffic, parking and idiot fans? Lots of folks will take that up.
WnenI lives in SD I knew a guy who had two season tickets, 50 yards line. He would go to maybe one or two games a year. Sell the rest to visiting fans. If the Bears, Packers, Chiefs, Raiders, Cowboys, Steelers, Eagles, Giants or Jets (among others) came to town it was a same day sell. He would list the tickets and a price and they would be gone same day.
I remember plenty of games in the Midwest with more visiting fans than home. It happens.
Particularly when there is money to be made in a area with millions of people and tons of transplants.
The move to LA was never about butts in the seats anyway. Would be nice to have a real him field advantage though.

fearsomefour

Legend
Problem is LA is a city with a lot of transplants with otheer NFL loyalties so it will be tough to build a following that shows up every week and can keep tickets away from those transplants and those that pick an LA game as a getaway destination. Same thing happens to Miami. NFL teams will put together travel packages to preferred locations. I mean they are not going to do that for a game in Minnesota or Philly or Cleveland, Buffalo, Pittsburgh etc...

So unless you have a hardcore season ticket base of 50-55K or more, it will be tough keeping the interlopers from showing up.
Exactly.
Go to a warm weather city.
Can you imagine the Packers, Giants or Bears playing Oakland in Vegas in December?
Now that's a great long weekend trip for a game. Will be 80% visiting fans.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
A local Philly radio station is bringing a group of 1300 fans out. They had put together a package to travel out to this game. Add in others that will show up and LA locals that are Philly transplants, Ram fans will have to be loud to make a difference. I expect to see fights in the stands... Philly fans can't go anywhere without being a problem.
LOL!! I have a feeling, If Philly Fans want to start something with our Rams Fans they will be made to feel like they " Brought a Knife to a Gun Fight"!!(y);):yess::LOL:

wmc540

Pro Bowler
Plus, I am sure LA fans look at this game as a way of paying for a portion of their tickets this year by selling just one game at 3x the ticket price... especially helpful at Xmas time.

I'm glad that Oklahoma City Thunder fans don't think this way when the Warriors come to town...

Psycho_X

Legend
Geez, think how much money "fans" will be able to sell their playoff tickets for? Score for them.

I guess the bright side of this is that the Rams will have the most experience of any team playing on the road come playoff time. With the exception of maybe the Chargers if they make it. Might come in handy if they have to go to Philly or Minnesota again.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
When the Rams first came back to L.A. the Rams Had a " Fan Day" at the Coliseum, I went to it and the Place was packed with Rams Fans, and everyone was really nice. For this type of game I expect they will ALL Turn-Out! So don't worry about a few thousand Punk-A$$ Philly Fans being there! They will be put in there Place!!
GO RAMS!!
-dancing-rams-2.gif

Rams Uni.jpg

Ram65

Legend
It's too bad the Rams don't have much of a home field advantage. The Vikings got an assist from the noise against the Rams as did the Hags against the Eagles. I was at a game back in the early 80s the Whiners had bus loads come to the Big A. They were drunk and loud. Expect the Eagle fans to be the same this week. I would be interested in the estimates of Eagle fans compared to Rams fans. Eagle fans go to the games not only to watch but, to try to impact the game by being loud. Let's hear those Rams fans on Sunday. Go Rams!

…..

Legend
I'm sure they can put a good group together, but "outnumbering" the LA fans wont happen. That's just sensationalizing it and I would be pretty surprised if the Rams added any silent snap counts. I'm not buying the story at all.

Having said that, I did run into a Philly fan while watching the game at a sportsbar near Atlanta on Sunday and he was bumming because he had an invite and free ticket provided by a buddy trevelling out, but he himself could not make it.