McVay hires John Streicher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
IMO this is an excellent hire. It gives McVay a much needed voice in his ear on crucial downs, another pair of eyes on play challenges and someone to help him with clock management. Too often Sean gets overwhelmed with all he's trying to do. If John can help with red zone play calling that would be huge for the Rams. Too many times, McVay seems to beat himself.

Good hire and I think it will add another win or two during the season.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I doubt Sean hired him because he understands he needs help. This is a good sign, that a HC has realized assistance isn't a negative. Quite the contrary, it's a sign of his personal growth.

I owned multiple companies of different types. After I realized that it was nothing but simple ego that prevented me from seeking help I hired an operations manager. He took over the routine daily distractions allowing me to focus upon the long term and more strategic decisions. It's why I could run those businesses for close to 35 years. That's why I understand a hiring of this type is a sign of McVay's personal growth and bodes well for his long term viability as a HC here in LA.

In games it will free McVay to stay focused upon his strategic moves in the game. I think it might limit his tendency to make himself one dimensional and predictable. All of which IMO are great reasons for hiring Streicher. Just look at how Shanahan took the ball out of Purdy's hand in their OT red zone snaps. It was like he was willing to settle for a FG. IMO it's clear Shanahan and his team didn't know the new overtime rules. Having someone like Streicher could provide McVay with advice that could make a big difference during the season.

I only see upsides to this hiring.

oldnotdead

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nice read if you have the time. Streicher sounds like a McVay type HC in the future. Hope he stays around because if Sean decides to move on in a couple of years it would be nice to have another creative HC.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Sounds like a GREAT addition. You can never have too many smart people.

Name
Steve Davis
I doubt Sean hired him because he understands he needs help. This is a good sign, that a HC has realized assistance isn't a negative. Quite the contrary, it's a sign of his personal growth.

I owned multiple companies of different types. After I realized that it was nothing but simple ego that prevented me from seeking help."
I am just going to point out a clear contradiction. Personal growth also involves the understanding for sometimes needing help. You actually said it yourself! That being said, the actual definition of help is "make it easier for (someone) to do something by offering one's services or resources." - So yes, seeking help can be a sign of personal growth and we all hope to reap the rewards!! Horns Up!!

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
feldman.jpg

well if he needs a great football mind, uh, I have a friend....