McShay's favorite players in the draft

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/1...-one-year-deal-te-jeff-cumberland-source-says

At this point in the draft process -- with most of the tape dissected and the players evaluated -- we all have our favorites, the players we can't watch enough of and those who we'd pound the table for inside the draft room if the price was right.

Here are "my guys" for the 2016 NFL draft, covering players expected to go on Day 1 all the way through Day 3 prospects.

Ezekiel Elliott, RB, Ohio State

What I like: Much like Adrian Peterson and Todd Gurley, Elliott is the rare exception to my no-RB-in-the-first-round rule. He's a total tone-setter in practices and games, with the offense often running through him. A true three-down back, Elliott runs with authority and plays with great patience and vision, showing natural (and underrated) pass-catching skills. And I've never seen anything like his run-blocking ability from the RB position. He won't be asked to do that much in the NFL, but his toughness cannot be overlooked.

When I'd take him: Top 15 isn't crazy by any stretch.

Shaq Lawson, DE, Clemson

What I like: Lawson won me over. I thought he was stiff initially, but the more I watch his tape, the more I love his game. While he has some athletic limitations, Lawson plays like a junkyard dog, with a combination of quickness, power, technique and relentlessness that is hard to stifle for a full 60 minutes. It wasn't a fluke that he led the nation with 25.5 tackles for loss and was tops on the Tigers with 12.5 sacks last season. Lawson won't consistently threaten as a pass-rusher, but he has the long arms and speed-to-power capabilities to make a leap in that area.

When I'd take him: Mid-first round.

Sheldon Day, DT, Notre Dame

What I like: I saw Day's last practice at Notre Dame, two days before he played in the Fiesta Bowl. A senior with nothing to prove, he twisted his ankle during two-minute-drill practice. The coaches tried to sub him out for obvious reasons, but Day told the sub to beat it and proceeded to play his tail off. Critics will focus on a lot of negative measurables -- he's too short, lacks bulk and only put up 21 reps on the bench. I don't care. This guy just makes plays (32 tackles for loss, 7.5 sacks and 24 QB hurries in 48 career games). His motor is second to none at the defensive tackle position.

When I'd take him: Steal if he slides to Round 3.

Jerell Adams, TE, South Carolina

What I like: At 6-5 and 247 pounds, Adams has excellent speed (4.64 40) -- and his workout numbers match the big-play potential we've seen on tape. Adams has the skill set to separate from man-to-man coverage with his feet, which not many tight ends can do. He had good production in 2015 (421 yards, 15.0 ypc, 3 TDs) despite a bad QB situation. Adams added 20 pounds of good weight last season, and fights hard as a blocker.

When I'd take him: Solid value late Round 2; steal in the third.

Karl Joseph, S, West Virginia

What I like: If not for durability concerns (season-ending knee injury in 2015), Joseph would be our top-ranked safety in this class. He didn't run at the combine, but on tape, he shows outstanding closing burst. His recognition skills improved last season, picking off five passes in four games. Quite simply, Joseph is a heat-seeking missile versus the run and when the ball is in the air. He's one of the more violent and efficient tacklers we've studied in the past five years at the safety position.

When I'd take him: Early Round 2.

Pharoh Cooper, WR, South Carolina

What I like: Cooper's versatility and big-play ability stand out to me. He averaged nearly 16 yards per catch throughout his three-year career in Columbia, while also returning punts and carrying the ball 71 times. At 5-11, he's slightly undersized, but he's thickly built (203 pounds) and has proven to be durable (25 consecutive starts in his final two seasons). While his measurables will lead him to drop, Cooper plays fasters on tape than the 4.60 40 he posted at South Carolina's pro day. Plus, he comes with great intangibles -- his grandfather, dad and brother are all Marines, so he knows the importance of discipline.

When I'd take him: Would feel great about using a third-rounder on him.

Paul Perkins, RB, UCLA

What I like: A great competitor, Perkins showed a lot of toughness battling through injuries while at UCLA. He senses creases before they open, and has quick eyes to match his outstanding foot quickness, which he shows off often with a filthy jump-cut. Perkins makes a lot of safeties look bad in the open field because of his ability to avoid tacklers while going full speed. Durability is a bit of a concern with his frame (5-10, 208) and collegiate workload (702 offensive touches).

When I'd take him: Could pay major dividends on Day 3.

Others considered
Adam Gotsis, DT, Georgia Tech
Nate Sudfeld, QB, Indiana
Tyler Matakevich, ILB, Temple

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'd like Adams and Cooper a lot. Also Perkins if he's there in the 6th would be hard to pass up.

woofwoofmo

65 Toss Power Trap
I'd like Adams and Cooper a lot. Also Perkins if he's there in the 6th would be hard to pass up.

I like Adams as well. Rams need an upgrade at TE, might be a bit of a reach to spend one of the 2nd rounders, but doubt he'll be there mid-3rd. Need big targets bad for this offense.