McShay: Watch Out for the Rams to Make A Move For Mariota

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Todd McShay discusses the teams that could be interested in drafting quarterbacks Jameis Winston and Marcus Mariota in the 2015 NFL draft. He lists the Rams as a team who might want to move up to get Mariota.

Watch McShay Talk Rams and Mariota

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Unless the guy can READ defenses... Forget it. Mariota looks to me to be a nicer version of Kaep or RG3 with less accuracy.

I'm so not on the Mariota bandwagon... Not even a little bit.

jjab360

Legend
Unless the guy can READ defenses... Forget it. Mariota looks to me to be a nicer version of Kaep or RG3 with less accuracy.

He might be physically similar to RG3 and Kaep, but he has a good head on his shoulders. Can't imagine how good RG3 could be if it wasn't for the injuries and his massive ego.

WestCoastRam

Legend
If he falls to us, take him in a heartbeat. If he's one or two picks away, I'd consider giving something up.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

He comes across as being much more intelligent than both players you mention. Mariota had to think fast in the Oregon system. I think that is an endorsement of his intelligence. I think he can be a good QB.

FrankenRam

Starter
I'm not sure I buy his argument that the Rams had interest in Manziel last yr. I'm still inclined to think, though not remotely certain, that was a big smokescreen.

And given that opinions seem to be SO varied on MM, I think I'd be less than thrilled if the Rams moved up to #2 to get him. If he falls to them at #10, it's a different story. But expending draft capital to get to #2 seems a little too risky to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I'm not sure I buy his argument that the Rams had interest in Manziel last yr. I'm still inclined to think, though not remotely certain, that was a big smokescreen.

And given that opinions seem to be SO varied on MM, I think I'd be less than thrilled if the Rams moved up to #2 to get him. If he falls to them at #10, it's a different story. But expending draft capital to get to #2 seems a little too risky to me.

If he falls they should pick him. But I cant see that happening.

FrankenRam

Starter
If he falls they should pick him. But I cant see that happening.

That's kinda how I'm thinking also. And mostly because of Foles' contract being up this year. If they knew they had Foles for say 3 yr, I'm not sure I'd even take MM at 10.

But if Foles can stay healthy this year, and plays well enough that MM could sit and learn this year, that would be just about ideal, IMO.

Of course, the first time Foles has a 3 interception game, the fanbase will be screaming for MM.

fearsomefour

Legend
Mariotta is a guy that is going to need to sit for a while to me.
I would not trade up for any QB in this class.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If our O-Line isn't fixed 1st I wouldn't take him. I agree with @fearsomefour!! Mariotta needs to sit for a while. and after Him and Winston, I don't think there's a QB worth taking until the late 3rd or early 4th round!

FRO

Legend
If our O-Line isn't fixed 1st I wouldn't take him. I agree with @fearsomefour!! Mariotta needs to sit for a while. and after Him and Winston, I don't think there's a QB worth taking until the late 3rd or early 4th round!
Couldn't agree with this more. We went through all this with Bradford. We had a blue chip QB, and surrounded him with scrubs. That's not a winning proposition. I would take him at 10, because I can still have enough picks to fix the line. I'm not trading up for him though.