McShay: Pound for pound, the best athlete in the draft...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ESPN Draft Insider Todd McShay breaks down Alec Ogletree's tape and
thinks he may be, pound-for-pound, the best athlete in the draft.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAWdMF3NtCE[/youtube]

paceram

Pro Bowler
Re: McShay: Pound for pound, the best athlete in the draft.

The Dude said:
ESPN Draft Insider Todd McShay breaks down Alec Ogletree's tape and
thinks he may be, pound-for-pound, the best athlete in the draft.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MAWdMF3NtCE[/youtube]

Thanks for sharing - I was hoping for Austin and Fluker

but I might be shifting to Austin and Ogletree (Well, if the

Rams can get two players out of Austin, Patterson, Warmack,

Cooper, Fluker and Ogletree I will be thrilled!)!

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh

Funny, I just listened to Marshall tell Maurice Drummond [at the following link] that we definitely need to draft a playmaker at LB.

<a class="postlink-local" href="http://ramsondemand.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13246" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13246</a>

Could Alec fit that role?

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind taking him @ 22 at all if the brass agrees with McShay. Guy plays violent as shit. Character issues? He'd fit in this defense nicely. I want to roll some fucking heads next year.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

I was just watching more clips on Ogletree today, and I like him quite a bit, although I am leery of his non football related problems. Been watching a lot of Georgia clips, and Ogletree shows as much or more than anybody on that really good defense. Been thinking about mocking him at #22.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Username said:
I wouldn't mind taking him @ 22 at all if the brass agrees with McShay. Guy plays violent as shit. Character issues? He'd fit in this defense nicely. I want to roll some fucking heads next year.

:good1:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

I do not like Ogletree. I believe that he's far too immature and inexperienced. I would rather have Arthur Brown at #22. He has just as much potential to be a stud as Ogletree, if not more.

Honestly, I feel that Ogletree's an athlete, not a football player.

bluecoconuts

Legend

I saw Mayock classified him as an inside backer, I'd rather an OLB, probably Brown as well.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Memento said:
I do not like Ogletree. I believe that he's far too immature and inexperienced. I would rather have Arthur Brown at #22. He has just as much potential to be a stud as Ogletree, if not more.

That's not what I see, but his obvious immaturity scares the hell out of me. Who gets a DUI right before the combine? This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's a major red flag. As a player, I see an instinctual, explosive player, who flashes all over the field. He has legit NFL size and ability. This is a SMALL LB class. I'd be OK with switching Dunbar, but he really showed strides last year as our Will. I don't think you'd have to give up a #22 for Brown or Greene. Do you? Do you see a big difference between these two players?

I really like Sio Moore, BTW, wish all of these guys were just a little bigger in this new NFL, multi-TE teams. I do like that Alec was a former safety, seems like his ball skills would be an advantage in coverage responsibilities. This doesn't appear to be a deep LB group to me.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

DR RAM said:
Memento said:

That's not what I see, but his obvious immaturity scares the hell out of me. Who gets a DUI right before the combine? This isn't the first time this has happened, but it's a major red flag. As a player, I see an instinctual, explosive player, who flashes all over the field. He has legit NFL size and ability. This is a SMALL LB class. I'd be OK with switching Dunbar, but he really showed strides last year as our Will. I don't think you'd have to give up a #22 for Brown or Greene. Do you? Do you see a big difference between these two players?

I really like Sio Moore, BTW, wish all of these guys were just a little bigger in this new NFL, multi-TE teams. I do like that Alec was a former safety, seems like his ball skills would be an advantage in coverage responsibilities. This doesn't appear to be a deep LB group to me.

Not for Greene; he's clearly a second-round player. But where I see Thomas Davis (perhaps a touch better than Davis, even though Davis was a first-round pick) in Ogletree, I see a Lavonte David/Ray Lewis hybrid in Brown. Absolutely love Brown's leadership qualities, he's a real difference-maker against the run (from what I've seen of Ogletree, he struggles to get off blocks, and I want a player who can compliment Laurinaitis and penetrate into the backfield to get TFLs in the running game), and he's much better against the pass than people think. Brown is definitely worth a first round pick in this year's class and certainly worth #22 in a weak class like this one.

Brown's my number two outside linebacker (Jarvis Jones is still the obvious number one) followed by Jelani Jenkins (who I believe would've been a legitimate first round pick in this year's class, had he not been injured) and Khaseem Greene (who is way underrated by a lot of experts). Ogletree is fifth on my board. His major character concerns and light weight (I have to politely disagree on the size aspect with Ogletree; 222 lbs. is very light for a linebacker, even a WILL) are the most concerning aspects.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau

Memento said:
DR RAM said:
Memento said:

Not for Greene; he's clearly a second-round player. But where I see Thomas Davis (perhaps a touch better than Davis, even though Davis was a first-round pick) in Ogletree, I see a Lavonte David/Ray Lewis hybrid in Brown. Absolutely love Brown's leadership qualities, he's a real difference-maker against the run (from what I've seen of Ogletree, he struggles to get off blocks, and I want a player who can compliment Laurinaitis and penetrate into the backfield to get TFLs in the running game), and he's much better against the pass than people think. Brown is definitely worth a first round pick in this year's class and certainly worth #22 in a weak class like this one.

Brown's my number two outside linebacker (Jarvis Jones is still the obvious number one) followed by Jelani Jenkins (who I believe would've been a legitimate first round pick in this year's class, had he not been injured) and Khaseem Greene (who is way underrated by a lot of experts). Ogletree is fifth on my board. His major character concerns and light weight (I have to politely disagree on the size aspect with Ogletree; 222 lbs. is very light for a linebacker, even a WILL) are the most concerning aspects.
Hmmmm, 242 lbs is his official weight at the combine, you know different? Again, character concerns for me are not good. If there were no character concerns, where would you have him? And...he doesn't jump off tape for you when watching the team in general? 2 less TFL's is not huge. Nothing against Brown, and I agree, it's a weak class at #22. He may be in play, and he's a good player, but not a playmaker, O FF, and 3 INT's over his career.

nighttrain

Legend

I do like that Alec was a former safety, seems like his ball skills would be an advantage in coverage responsibilities. This doesn't appear to be a deep LB group to me.

Ball skills and a thumper, Kids do stupid things. Now if was the 2nd or 3rd time, a flag..I really want this guy..Take him at 22 in a heartbeat.
train

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory

nighttrain said:
I do like that Alec was a former safety, seems like his ball skills would be an advantage in coverage responsibilities. This doesn't appear to be a deep LB group to me.

Ball skills and a thumper, Kids do stupid things. Now if was the 2nd or 3rd time, a flag..I really want this guy..Take him at 22 in a heartbeat.
train

I'd be happy with this, unless Vacarro, Austin, or Warmack were still available.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member

bluecoconuts said:
I saw Mayock classified him as an inside backer, I'd rather an OLB, probably Brown as well.

Maybe in a 3-4. He's not a 4-3 MLB. He plays the position very raw too. Frank Bush n Fisher could mold him into a player for sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

By Doug Farrar | Shutdown Corner
<a class="postlink" href="http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/shutdown-50-georgia-lb-alec-ogletree-000029518--nfl.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutd ... um=twitter</a>

27ogletree.jpg

With the 2012 NFL season in the books, and the scouting combine in the rear-view, it's time to take a closer look at the 50 players we think will be the biggest difference-makers at the next level from this draft class. To that end, we're happy to continue this year's Shutdown 50 scouting reports (Hint: There may actually be more than 50). You can read last year's group here. The final 50 players were chosen and ranked based on game tape, combine and Pro Day results, overall positional value, and attributes and liabilities on and off the field.

#27: Alec Ogletree, LB, Georgia

We continue this year's series with Georgia linebacker Alec Ogletree, who undoubtedly scares NFL teams with his off-field record just as much as his on-field exploits will have those same teams sure of his first-round talent. Ogletree was suspended from his first-ever game with the Bulldogs after he was caught stealing a scooter helmet, was suspended the first four games of the 2012 season after a failed drug test, and was arrested for a DUI just a few days before the scouting combine. Not at all smart.
At the combine, Ogletree tried to explain his past.

"I’m a good person at heart," he said. "Everybody makes mistakes. I feel real bad about the situation. I’m learning from it and I’m moving forward. I don’t really know what it’s going to do. But, like I said, I feel bad about it and I’m very sorry about it. I just have to move forward and take whatever I get."

Ogletree was one of a few players trying to re-do his image at the combine -- LSU's Tyrann Mathieu and Notre Dame's Manti Te'o were two more -- but Ogletree did himself no favors when he ran a 4.68 40-yard dash at the Indianapolis event. Ogletree, who looks much more like a 4.5 athlete on tape, didn't do much better at his pro day, though he was better in the agility drills.

NFL teams will still take a good look at him in the first round, though, because he's precisely the kind of half-field defender required at the next level. With so many teams playing much more nickel and dime coverage, range linebackers are the new prototype, while the old-school thumpers are on their way out to a degree. And though he switched from the safety position after the 2010 season (giving him just two years experience at linebacker) and missed those first four games in 2012, Ogletree still amassed 63 solo tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, 3.0 sacks, and an interception in his final collegiate season.

There's no question that the 6-foot-3, 243-pound Ogletree has everything it takes from a pure football perspective to join Seattle's Bobby Wagner, Tampa Bay's Lavonte David, and Carolina's Luke Kuechly as a star-level optimal range defender. But his off-field question marks may take him out of the first round entirely -- especially when there are more players like him in the 2013 NFL Draft.

Pros: Former safety who plays with that kind of range -- can run quickly to just about any area on the defense from linebacker depth. Reads keys and diagnoses backfield action well -- will patiently wait from his position and then unleash his speed to make plays. Has the height and jumping ability to cover tight ends in the seam. Outstanding half-field defender who seems made to play in nickel -- will close quickly to either sideline. Surprisingly good wrap tackler for his size. Doesn't bounce off a lot of plays and doesn't get dragged too often by power backs. Zeroes in on the ballcarrier with accuracy and doesn't misdirect, which is impressive for all his velocity.

Understands angles and will cut around blockers almost as a receiver would cut away from a defensive back. Possesses the pure burn off the edge to produce as a blitzing linebacker, and will occasionally zoom into the pocket from coverage depth to pressure quarterbacks. Has the backpedal, hip turn, and short-area speed to cover well in man or zone. Dynamic special teams player.

Cons: Thin player who will struggle against blocks -- can be easily walled off. Bounces off blocks at times, but doesn't use his hands to functionally disengage. Needs a bigger line with fairly dominant players to open up gaps for him; he's not a power player at all. Missed tackles are precisely the issue you would expect from a less powerful player who's flying around all the time. Long list of off-field issues will debit him with teams, and he wasn't specifically impressive when explaining his past during media session at the scouting combine.

Conclusion: Though Ogletree is without question the best pure speed linebacker in this draft class and he's able to do more things at a position that is increasing in value all the time, I would severely hesitate before selecting him with a first-round pick -- or any pick at all, for that matter. If I had the choice to take Ogletree or Kansas State's Arthur Brown, Rutgers' Khaseem Greene, or Missouri's Zaviar Gooden, I would probably go with a player who possessed slightly less athleticism, but who wouldn't land me in GM Jail a few years down the road because he can't stay out of trouble.

Generally speaking, those people who can't keep their lives straight in college don't tend to mature in the right ways when you give them far more money, fame, and freedom. NFL teams will have to weigh the potential nightmare scenarios presented by Mr. Ogletree against his freakish and impressive talent. And the guy who takes his number had best hope he's got the right kind of support system in place.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZy_y0on4u8[/youtube]

NFL Comparison: Lavonte David, Tampa Bay Buccaneers (on-field only)

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame

Anyone know what his BAC was when he got his DUI?