McShay on Tavon Austin

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
The dude had a lot of carries at running back. You ever had carries at running back in college? You have to be physical. You have to be tough. So...Austin is tougher? Debate continues.... Him and Danny will platoon? I see greater needs, and better uses.

Austin is special as far as his quickness and smoothness, but he's 5' 9". 179 lbs. Patterson is special at 6'3" 210 lbs.

Intelligence may be the factor to where he is drafted--Patterson.

Thanks for your insight.

Him and Danny won't "platoon". I mean that him and Danny could alternate between outside and the slot. You're not drafting Austin to put him on the bench.

Yea, Austin is a tough kid...was very durable in college too.

While Patterson is special for his size...Austin is, to be entirely blunt, better than him at it and is special for anyone who has played the game. So then the question becomes, what advantages does Patterson's size afford him? The biggest is that he can shield out defenders with his frame but the other big advantages you'd expect him to have are negated because he doesn't actually have them...by that I mean physicality and the ability to go up and get the football.

I rank Austin above Patterson. I think they're similar in what they offer but Austin is better at it.
Fair enough.

I'd rank Patterson on top, and think his career will be better by a margin. Agree to disagree.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

I'd rank Patterson on top, and think his career will be better by a margin. Agree to disagree.

Yep, we will have to. While stats certainly have their limitations, I think it's interesting to consider that in half of Patterson's games against SEC competition, he had 31 or less receiving yards. And he had 0 100 yard receiving games and only 2 games of 75+ yards receiving.(although to be fair, he had 3 or 4 big plays called back on penalties)

When you watch the film, he had a habit of disappearing. As physically talented and intriguing as the kid is, there has to be some reservations there.

On Austin, he did have 11 catches for 187 yards against LSU in 2011, the last SEC opponent he played.

Patterson has a ton of upside and I don't ever fault someone for going with upside but at the same time, so does Austin and I think he's proven more on film than Patterson has. Yes, Patterson has better size and thus more overall upside but you gotta believe he is going to and can reach it.

For me, I have some doubts so I'd take Tavon.

iced

jrry32 said:
On Austin, he did have 11 catches for 187 yards against LSU in 2011, the last SEC opponent he played.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8Y-PLYi7M" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bd8Y-PLYi7M</a>

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

Yep, we will have to. While stats certainly have their limitations, I think it's interesting to consider that in half of Patterson's games against SEC competition, he had 31 or less receiving yards. And he had 0 100 yard receiving games and only 2 games of 75+ yards receiving.(although to be fair, he had 3 or 4 big plays called back on penalties)

When you watch the film, he had a habit of disappearing. As physically talented and intriguing as the kid is, there has to be some reservations there.

Patterson has a ton of upside and I don't ever fault someone for going with upside but at the same time, so does Austin and I think he's proven more on film than Patterson has. Yes, Patterson has better size and thus more overall upside but you gotta believe he is going to and can reach it.

I certainly agree that Tavon is a better player now, in college. Those are sick numbers vs LSU. I'm not even completely sold on Patterson, but his skills are remarkable. I might even like his teammate better, Justin Hunter, who always seems open by a mile.

I know of Austin, seen tons of highlights, he's frightening in the open field.

iced

DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

I certainly agree that Tavon is a better player now, in college. Those are sick numbers vs LSU. I'm not even completely sold on Patterson, but his skills are remarkable. I might even like his teammate better, Justin Hunter, who always seems open by a mile.

He did have one bad play against LSU where he didn't catch the ball and it went for a pic - but man there were some throws that were badly missed by Geno Smith. Keep in mind LSU had Claiborne and Mathieu too - and he was given them fits. Austin has done it against NFL talent - has Patterson? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
iced said:
DR RAM said:
jrry32 said:
DR RAM said:
Fair enough.

He did have one bad play against LSU where he didn't catch the ball and it went for a pic - but man there were some throws that were badly missed by Geno Smith. Keep in mind LSU had Claiborne and Mathieu too - and he was given them fits. Austin has done it against NFL talent - has Patterson? I honestly don't know that's why I'm asking.
I don't know either that's why I was asking.

Vols schedule last year:
Sept. 1 - North Carolina State (at Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA)
Sept. 8 - Georgia State
Sept. 15 - Florida*
Sept. 22 - Akron
Sept. 29 - at Georgia*
Oct. 13 - at Mississippi State*
Oct. 20 - Alabama*
Oct. 27 - at South Carolina*
Nov. 3 - Troy
Nov. 10 - Missouri*
Nov. 17 - at Vanderbilt*
Nov. 24 - Kentucky*

I'm going to move this to a new thread to see if anyone else can weigh in. I'm really not trying to compare the two.

nighttrain

Legend
X said:
McShay's coworker Kevin Weidl responded with "not getting out of the first round." Austin is a joystick with the ball in his hands in the open field, but did have his set of struggles when facing Kenny Vaccaro in the slot. He is the type of playmaker teams look for in the first-round, despite his less than ideal size.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131020/tavon-austin" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.rotoworld.com/player/cfb/131020/tavon-austin</a>

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now I know why Russ Lande mocked both of them to the Rams.
Don't want Tavon to have to face Vaccaro anywhere, so just draft him. :lol:

dont you think drafting Austin would mean passing on resigning DA? I do...And with DA's inablity to stay of the field + big money, might be for the best..
train

nighttrain

Legend
On Patterson,we already have Quick. Given is for real, and i'm beginning to like Pettis, especially in the red zone. I just cant see Patterson, it would mean Snead/Fisher have already said quits on Quick, and i dont think so
train

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I flippin' love Austins game. I have said it before and will say it again, I have NEVER seen a player as quick and explosive in college. Will it translate to the NFL? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. This guy is an ankle breaker. Lateral quickness and burst off the charts. If he finds a seam, send out Legatron for the PAT. Seriously.

Who is going to cover him in the slot? For that matter, who is going to cover him outside if Danny is in the slot and Givens or Quick are on the other side? Speed kills, period. I see limitless possibiliies with this kid in our offense and PRAY that we find a way to draft him, even if it is with the #16. Yes, I am THAT queer for him. :razzed:

iced

Faceplant said:
I flippin' love Austins game. I have said it before and will say it again, I have NEVER seen a player as quick and explosive in college. Will it translate to the NFL? I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. This guy is an ankle breaker. Lateral quickness and burst off the charts. If he finds a seam, send out Legatron for the PAT. Seriously.

Who is going to cover him in the slot? For that matter, who is going to cover him outside if Danny is in the slot and Givens or Quick are on the other side? Speed kills, period. I see limitless possibiliies with this kid in our offense and PRAY that we find a way to draft him, even if it is with the #16. Yes, I am THAT queer for him. :razzed:

:clap:

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
Walterfootballs opinion updated today. <a class="postlink" href="http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013taustin.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013taustin.php</a>

Strengths:
Elite speed
Stretches the defense
Explosive
Threat to score on any reception
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Reliable hands
Dangerous as a ball-carrier
Good vision as a runner
Strong route-runner
Athletic

Weaknesses:
Very undersized
Durability in the NFL
Short
Thin
Won't be able to function as a possession receiver

Summary: Austin was one of the most electric play-makers in college football over the past two season. He produced a ton of yards and touchdowns for West Virginia. Defenses were unable to match up effectively against him.

Austin made his presence felt as a sophomore with eight touchdowns on 58 receptions for 787 yards in 2010. He and quarterback Geno Smith lit up the secondaries in 2011. The junior caught 101 passes for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns.

Austin totaled 114 receptions for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns this year. He also had 72 carries for 643 yards and three touchdowns. Austin was an electric play-maker who was able to consistently produce long scoring plays.

Austin's 40 time at the combine is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if he runs slowly or quickly. There is no doubt that Austin has great football speed. Generally, it is a given that he is the fastest player on the field.

Austin looks like a deep threat receiver who will stretch NFL defenses. He can burn secondaries with his explosive speed and will be a threat to score on any touch. Austin may need to be protected to avoid injury given his size. A lot of carries and receptions will lead to him getting injured.

Austin has the flexibility to play in a West Coast offense or a pro-style offense. He would be a definite first-rounder if he weren't so undersized. There are few receivers who stick in the NFL who are so small, but Austin looks capable of breaking the mold.

It is extremely unlikely that Austin will be able to duplicate his college production, but he should be a productive receiver as long as he can stay in the lineup. The diminutive wide out's big-play ability makes him likely to go in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: DeSean Jackson. The similarities between Austin and Jackson are uncanny. They are nearly identical in their size, speed and playing style. Jackson was a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft and Austin looks likely to be second-rounder in 2013. Like Jackson, Austin should be an electric play-maker, but he also could have the same injury issues.

NFL Matches: Kansas City, Jacksonville, Buffalo, New York Jets, Miami, New England, Seattle

There a number of teams that might go after Austin. To start out the second round, both the Jaguars and Chiefs could use more receiver talent. Austin would bring a big-play threat to each team, and Jacksonville really lacks play-makers of Austin's ability.

All four teams in the AFC East could potentially take Austin. Buffalo could use more help at receiver. Austin could form a nice duo with Stevie Johnson. The Jets need talent at wide receiver, and Austin might interest them to help turn around Mark Sanchez. Miami has the worst receiving corps in the NFL and has to find some weapons for Ryan Tannehill. New England has veteran wide outs with uncertain futures. Austin could be a great long-term replacement for Wes Welker.

The Seahawks should build up their receiving corps for Russell Wilson, and Austin's big-play ability will appeal to Seattle. The Seahawks selected an undersized speedy athlete from West Virginia in the first round in the 2012 NFL Draft.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Username said:
Walterfootballs opinion updated today. <a class="postlink" href="http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013taustin.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://walterfootball.com/scoutingreport2013taustin.php</a>

Strengths:
Elite speed
Stretches the defense
Explosive
Threat to score on any reception
Forces teams to keep a safety deep
Quick release off of the line
Reliable hands
Dangerous as a ball-carrier
Good vision as a runner
Strong route-runner
Athletic

Weaknesses:
Very undersized
Durability in the NFL
Short
Thin
Won't be able to function as a possession receiver

Summary: Austin was one of the most electric play-makers in college football over the past two season. He produced a ton of yards and touchdowns for West Virginia. Defenses were unable to match up effectively against him.

Austin made his presence felt as a sophomore with eight touchdowns on 58 receptions for 787 yards in 2010. He and quarterback Geno Smith lit up the secondaries in 2011. The junior caught 101 passes for 1,186 yards and eight touchdowns.

Austin totaled 114 receptions for 1,289 yards and 12 touchdowns this year. He also had 72 carries for 643 yards and three touchdowns. Austin was an electric play-maker who was able to consistently produce long scoring plays.

Austin's 40 time at the combine is completely irrelevant. It doesn't matter if he runs slowly or quickly. There is no doubt that Austin has great football speed. Generally, it is a given that he is the fastest player on the field.

Austin looks like a deep threat receiver who will stretch NFL defenses. He can burn secondaries with his explosive speed and will be a threat to score on any touch. Austin may need to be protected to avoid injury given his size. A lot of carries and receptions will lead to him getting injured.

Austin has the flexibility to play in a West Coast offense or a pro-style offense. He would be a definite first-rounder if he weren't so undersized. There are few receivers who stick in the NFL who are so small, but Austin looks capable of breaking the mold.

It is extremely unlikely that Austin will be able to duplicate his college production, but he should be a productive receiver as long as he can stay in the lineup. The diminutive wide out's big-play ability makes him likely to go in the second round of the 2013 NFL Draft.

Player Comparison: DeSean Jackson. The similarities between Austin and Jackson are uncanny. They are nearly identical in their size, speed and playing style. Jackson was a second-round pick in the 2008 NFL Draft and Austin looks likely to be second-rounder in 2013. Like Jackson, Austin should be an electric play-maker, but he also could have the same injury issues.

NFL Matches: Kansas City, Jacksonville, Buffalo, New York Jets, Miami, New England, Seattle

There a number of teams that might go after Austin. To start out the second round, both the Jaguars and Chiefs could use more receiver talent. Austin would bring a big-play threat to each team, and Jacksonville really lacks play-makers of Austin's ability.

All four teams in the AFC East could potentially take Austin. Buffalo could use more help at receiver. Austin could form a nice duo with Stevie Johnson. The Jets need talent at wide receiver, and Austin might interest them to help turn around Mark Sanchez. Miami has the worst receiving corps in the NFL and has to find some weapons for Ryan Tannehill. New England has veteran wide outs with uncertain futures. Austin could be a great long-term replacement for Wes Welker.

The Seahawks should build up their receiving corps for Russell Wilson, and Austin's big-play ability will appeal to Seattle. The Seahawks selected an undersized speedy athlete from West Virginia in the first round in the 2012 NFL Draft.
I think that's a fair assessment of his strengths and weaknesses, but I think he will go in the bottom 10 picks of the first. I also think that based on my eyeballs, that Austin makes people miss more than Desean, but as we know he won't always be able to see what is coming. I can't really make the comparison to Desean, but then it's hard to compare him to anybody; he's special and unique; more like a scat-back than any receiver I can think of.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
DR RAM said:
I think that's a fair assessment of his strengths and weaknesses, but I think he will go in the bottom 10 picks of the first. I also think that based on my eyeballs, that Austin makes people miss more than Desean, but as we know he won't always be able to see what is coming. I can't really make the comparison to Desean, but then it's hard to compare him to anybody; he's special and unique; more like a scat-back than any receiver I can think of.

My thoughts exactly. I get the Jackson comparisons, but Austin is a different type of player.