McShay first 2019 NFL mock draft Rams bolstering defense

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I found LA Champ... in the comment section of SB Nation...

I dunno how I feel about that...

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I could see him going to the other team formerly known as San Diego.
See I think they're more of a taking Lawrence in front of us type pick but either could happen. Their interior DL has been bad for ages.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
That doesn't seem bad, but I don't think I'd prefer a DT with questionable run stopping skills. Even if he lacks extensive pass rushing skills, I want someone to help the run defense.
Jones, from what I know is more 3 tech DL. He is listed as 6-3/286 lbs on the smaller side for DT's. Do the Rams really need to use the first round pick on a smaller 3 tech pass rushing DT?

If you're going to draft a 3 tech prospect I would wait & draft Terry Beckner 6-4 295 with first of two 3rd round draft picks we will end up with after the Comp picks are awarded. If Beckner is off the board then take Gerald Willis, 3 tech DT, Miami instead. Willis is small but he is a high-quality run stopper with a great burst off the ball that will catch Wade attention fast.

The Rams 2018 DL unit was one of the smaller units in the NFL. 3 tech DT Aaron Donald is most likely the smallest starting DT in the NFL. His back up @ the 3 tech was Tanzel Smart who is 6-1 295lb'er has more pass rush that run stopper in him, plus Smart is awful short.

The 6-5 305lb Micheal Brockers will be the only returning DL'er in 2019 who has any starting experience @ playing the Nose Tackle post. Rams will have 6th rd 2018 drafted NT Sebastian Joseph-Day returning & he is 6-4 310 pounders but he never saw a regular season game either.

I would expect John Franklin-Myers to win the starting 5 tech DL post this season. JFM has some size to him @ 6-4 288 lbs. I would also expect RFA Morgan Fox to sign back. Fox, who is 6-3 275 lbs to return to the reserve role @ the 5 tech post to back up JFM.

I would hope that NT Dexter Lawrence fails down to #31 st pick. If not I would wait till the 3rd rd. to get a complete DT who can stop the run & has some pass rush in him. Wade will not just go for a run stuffer. Wade will demand that he have the ability to bring pressure too.

1maGoh

Hall of Fame
Jones, from what I know is more 3 tech DL. He is listed as 6-3/286 lbs on the smaller side for DT's. Do the Rams really need to use the first round pick on a smaller 3 tech pass rushing DT?

If you're going to draft a 3 tech prospect I would wait & draft Terry Beckner 6-4 295 with first of two 3rd round draft picks we will end up with after the Comp picks are awarded. If Beckner is off the board then take Gerald Willis, 3 tech DT, Miami instead. Willis is small but he is a high-quality run stopper with a great burst off the ball that will catch Wade attention fast.

The Rams 2018 DL unit was one of the smaller units in the NFL. 3 tech DT Aaron Donald is most likely the smallest starting DT in the NFL. His back up @ the 3 tech was Tanzel Smart who is 6-1 295lb'er has more pass rush that run stopper in him, plus Smart is awful short.

The 6-5 305lb Micheal Brockers will be the only returning DL'er in 2019 who has any starting experience @ playing the Nose Tackle post. Rams will have 6th rd 2018 drafted NT Sebastian Joseph-Day returning & he is 6-4 310 pounders but he never saw a regular season game either.

I would expect John Franklin-Myers to win the starting 5 tech DL post this season. JFM has some size to him @ 6-4 288 lbs. I would also expect RFA Morgan Fox to sign back. Fox, who is 6-3 275 lbs to return to the reserve role @ the 5 tech post to back up JFM.

I would hope that NT Dexter Lawrence fails down to #31 st pick. If not I would wait till the 3rd rd. to get a complete DT who can stop the run & has some pass rush in him. Wade will not just go for a run stuffer. Wade will demand that he have the ability to bring pressure too.
I didn't mean to suggest they get a pure run stuffer, but if the DT they choose was a better run stuffer with limited (but flashing) pass rush skills, that wood be my preference. As opposed to those 280 ish pound guys you're taking about with a repertoire of pad rush skills but without the size/desire/skill to stand ground, shed blockers, and stuff the run.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I didn't mean to suggest they get a pure run stuffer, but if the DT they choose was a better run stuffer with limited (but flashing) pass rush skills, that wood be my preference. As opposed to those 280 ish pound guys you're taking about with a repertoire of pad rush skills but without the size/desire/skill to stand ground, shed blockers, and stuff the run.
I agree with you. I happen to be in favor of having a pure run stuffer around myself. Look how well it served the Patriots against us. The gave pure run stuffer Danny Shelton about a dozen snaps in the SB with that other DT Guy on early downs. Both those NT's blew up our interior OL the entire game on big run stops. I would suggest the Rams consider giving UFA NT Danny Shelton a look in Free Agency.

It's not hard to find veteran well-seasoned run stuffing NT's looking for one more big payday season before riding off to the buffet retirement center. Maybe the Chargers UFA Mebrane will check out the Rams facilities this upcoming season;). The draft would save the Rams some salary cap $$$ though. If Wade keeps lightweights Cory Littleton/Mark Barron combo as our starters inside he might want to consider several pure run stuffers.

Usually those type of guys are not highly desired on the first & second days of the draft. Not sure what Wade has in the former starting NT from Rutgers SJ-D yet. Could be the Rams just wanted him to get bigger & stronger. I believe we will see that in TC & Preseason this summer.

If Wade keeps Cory Littleton/Mark Barron combo as our starters inside he might want to consider several pure run stuffers.

http://draftanalyst.com/sebastian-joseph

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/sebastian-joseph?id=32462018-0002-5610-7994-b55f1ac0944d

https://ramblinfan.com/2018/04/28/l...stian-joseph-selection-in-the-2018-nfl-draft/

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Hoping and praying Dexter Lawrence falls to us.
Okay here's a Mock Draft for us from Draft Countdown .....

Selection #31-Los Angeles Rams: Dexter Lawrence DT | Clemson
DexterLawrence19Mock.jpg

It’s often difficult to identify obvious needs for teams that just appeared in the Super Bowl, but that isn’t the case with Los Angeles. There are actually three or four areas that will have to be addressed this offseason, but the defensive front seven may be the most glaring. Ndamukong Suh is a free agent after only signing a one-year deal and with so much high-priced talent to pay the Rams will have to make some tough decisions. Even if Suh returns the run defense still ranked in the bottom third of the league and there is little or no depth on the interior.

There may not be a more freakish blend of size, strength and athleticism in this class than Lawrence, who at one time was being talked about as a potential #1 overall pick. An immovable object in the middle, Lawrence excels at eating gaps, stuffing the run and occupying multiple blockers. Lawrence isn’t a dynamic pass rusher but uses an outstanding combination of quickness and power to disrupt in the backfield and make plays up front.

Team Needs: DE | LB | DB

http://www.draftcountdown.com/mock-draft/2019-mock-draft/page/3/

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Can't see Lawrence being available @31. Just my 2 cents. He's the type of player that gets over drafted