McNabb: The Rams are “A QB away”: Cutler/RG3?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

moklerman

Warner-phile
Turnovers. He is leading the league in INT's with 18 and he has fumbled 12 times losing 6 of them. 24 turnovers will raise eyebrows unless its the GSOT offense where it didn't matter. A lot of this is his OL, which is not good, and a lot of it him being reckless. Can Fisher change that? I dunno.........
But he's not really turning the ball over any more frequently than he has throughout his career. Like I said, 3.4% Int rate is what he's at this year and that's his career average too. Maybe he's fumbling more but he's put up more TD's and completed a pretty respectable percentage of passes to0, which IMO, would offset that.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Cutler because I think he's underachieved for much of his career, it just strikes me as curious that all of this criticism is being levied now when he's having one of, if not the best statistical year of his career.

anode8

Professional lurker, occasional poster.
Name
Ron
Cutler, yes. RG3, NO!

I can't tell if Cutler is a less than desirable person or just not an outgoing person. He might be part of the problem but he's far from the only problem.

I think that Cutler is an extreme introvert, and that comes off as being aloof in the sports culture where there are so many loud personalities. It's a shame that most people watching seem to think that the QB has to be the voice of the team publicly, when not everyone is wired that way. Put him on a strong team to take some of the pressure off, and I think he's a success.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Brutal. Ummm...I kind of feel exactly the same way about him. Never got it. He was a jerk to the media, and then they accepted him into the media, where he generally continues to be a jerk. No way is he a Pro Bowl caliber player, or a HOF'er.

When you see the production some of the years he went to the PB and look at the numbers it's eye opening that he got voted in........see for yourself....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm

@mocklerman he is an easy target and I don't know why either. He's been labeled as a few different things and I don't see those things when I listen to him.

He's an enigma.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Cutler, yes. RG3, NO!

I think that Cutler is an extreme introvert, and that comes off as being aloof in the sports culture where there are so many loud personalities. It's a shame that most people watching seem to think that the QB has to be the voice of the team publicly, when not everyone is wired that way. Put him on a strong team to take some of the pressure off, and I think he's a success.

I hadn't thought of that angle, he seems affable when he is on a podium in front of the press. Maybe you're right and he is aloof.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
RG3 is as risky as Bradford. He makes no sense.

Cutler makes much more sense.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
It's interesting how down on Cutler people are right now. At least, my perception is that they are down on him more than usual compared to the rest of his career.

But for all the talk of how he's lost it and is playing poorly, his completion % (66.1) is the highest in his career, he's thrown more TD's in 14 games(28) than any season total in his career, his INT% is right at his career average (3.4%) and his passer rating is the highest of his career(89.5).

He's statistically performing at a higher level than at any other point in his career. I wonder why so many are ready to throw him to the scrap heap at a point when he's playing better than he ever has?

Because a lot of people look at his face and have already made up their mind about him as a player rather than looking at the numbers. The fact that he's been scapegoated on a team whose defense is the reason they're not a contender is just icing on the cake.

moklerman

Warner-phile
@mocklerman he is an easy target and I don't know why either. He's been labeled as a few different things and I don't see those things when I listen to him.

He's an enigma.
What I really don't understand about the whole situation is why the Bears would be getting rid of both the head coach AND Cutler. Seems to me they'd hang onto their investment in Cutler and fire Trestman OR be fed up with Cutler and let Trestman start fresh with his own guy. Not both.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
What I really don't understand about the whole situation is why the Bears would be getting rid of both the head coach AND Cutler. Seems to me they'd hang onto their investment in Cutler and fire Trestman OR be fed up with Cutler and let Trestman start fresh with his own guy. Not both.

I agree it's hard to fathom. I'm leaning towards them not dumping Cutler though because if they do that what are the options available.......maybe a trade with the Rams straight up for Bradford.

This is going to be a very interesting off season for Rams fans and Fisher/Snead/Demoff.

LazyWinker

Pro Bowler
Name
Paul
Me neither, he was totally and completely over rated and the media for some reason adored him and pumped him up all the time. He was a JAG nearly his entire career.

Another example of a running QB that everyone gets hyped up about that is going to "change the game" that amounts to nothing. The fact that he got voted to the pro bowl several times with below average production and in some cases terrible production always made me mad.

When I hear talking heads mention his name and the HOF it is really disgraceful. His stats AND the eyeball test tell me that he doesn't belong.

When you see the production some of the years he went to the PB and look at the numbers it's eye opening that he got voted in........see for yourself....

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/McNaDo00.htm

Calm down fellas, what made McNabb great was his ability to throw a dart where the defense couldn't catch it. He was great and getting it to receivers feet.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Calm down fellas, what made McNabb great was his ability to throw a dart where the defense couldn't catch it. He was great and getting it to receivers feet.

HAHA I've seen him throw that type of pass plenty. I used to wonder if he had stickum on his hands LOL.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I agree it's hard to fathom. I'm leaning towards them not dumping Cutler though because if they do that what are the options available.......maybe a trade with the Rams straight up for Bradford.

This is going to be a very interesting off season for Rams fans and Fisher/Snead/Demoff.
I agree. Seems too extreme for them to sour on Cutler that quickly after signing him to such a big deal. I mean, without him pulling a Ray Rice move or bad-mouthing the organization or something. There's certainly a disconnect between him and the coaches and if management is backing Cutler, then it's the staff that will get the boot.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
After giving it a thought, I would be fine with getting Cutler. We just need to put the right pieces for him to succeed, especially the interior O-line. Although his success or possibly lack of will likely determine Fisher and co's future with the Rams

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
It's interesting how down on Cutler people are right now. At least, my perception is that they are down on him more than usual compared to the rest of his career.

But for all the talk of how he's lost it and is playing poorly, his completion % (66.1) is the highest in his career, he's thrown more TD's in 14 games(28) than any season total in his career, his INT% is right at his career average (3.4%) and his passer rating is the highest of his career(89.5).

He's statistically performing at a higher level than at any other point in his career. I wonder why so many are ready to throw him to the scrap heap at a point when he's playing better than he ever has?
All good points and he 'd be an option to look at if not for his contract! Hope Sam can be back next season at his prior level! No to rg me!

moklerman

Warner-phile
All good points and he 'd be an option to look at if not for his contract! Hope Sam can be back next season at his prior level! No to rg me!
Yeah, not really lobbying for Cutler to the Rams myself, just shooting for perspective. It's also interesting to note that Bradford, in far less favorable playing conditions IMO, has a higher single season passer rating "best" than Cutler does. Just barely, but Bradford got into the '90's whereas Cutler's best is 89.