McLeod named starter

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I don't have the tweet on my phone, but word is Snead announced that McLeod is our other starting safety. I'm sure Stewart will mix in when healthy, but he seems to have lost his job.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

mcleod looks the goods. very sure tackler and positions himself well to make plays.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/169/rams-gm-snead-mcleod-to-start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... d-to-start</a>

During the broadcast of Thursday night's preseason finale, St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead made an appearance in the booth and made an interesting comment about safety Rodney McLeod.

Snead was discussing the lack of playing time for Rams starters against Baltimore when he pointed out that a few of the starters were getting some different looks to open the game. One of those starters he mentioned was McLeod, who started at safety last week in place of injured Darian Stewart (hamstring).

[hilite]"You saw a Rodney McLeod who is gonna start at safety for us, come in and play nickel with this group because he’s going to be our backup nickel," Snead said.[/hilite]

Snead's intent clearly was to discuss that McLeod is the backup nickel corner behind Trumaine Johnson, but did he also let the cat out of the bag in a (somewhat) unofficial way in terms of McLeod's role? Until coach Jeff Fisher acknowledges the move, it remains to be seen whether McLeod has won the starting job on a permanent basis or if Snead was simply referring to McLeod as the starter in the context of Stewart's continued absence.

If McLeod does indeed win the starting job, it won't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Before the Rams played Denver last week, it was clear he'd have the opportunity to win the job with a couple of solid performances. He played well against the Broncos and drew praise from Fisher.

I asked Fisher on Sunday if that job was now up for grabs, and he didn't exactly turn the idea away.

“Typically guys don’t lose their jobs because of injury, but we’ll just re-evaluate when Stew comes back,” Fisher said.

A55VA6

Legend
Good. McLeod and McDonald play great together.. and it's good having great chemistry at that position.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Good for him. I guess when there's "holes" at safety w/ no vets, might as well play 2 rookies (I know Rodney Mcleod is a 2nd year player but he's still a rookie IMO) out there.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
bluecoconuts said:
I don't have the tweet on my phone, but word is Snead announced that McLeod is our other starting safety. I'm sure Stewart will mix in when healthy, but he seems to have lost his job.
I thought he played well enough and grab the starting spot. Let's see how he does with it.
Some of the UDFA the Rams signed last year: McLeod, Daniels, Johhny Hekker, Conrath, Austin Davis are decent players. I'm glad who ever the people that are scouting these guys and getting them to sign are around now.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
brokeu91 noticing and appreciating the difference:
Some of the UDFA the Rams signed last year: McLeod, Daniels, Johhny Hekker, Conrath, Austin Davis are decent players. I'm glad who ever the people that are scouting these guys and getting them to sign are around now.
A testament to both our lack of depth and a great eye for talent. As our team gets better I wouldn't expect this rate of success to continue.

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
X said:
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/169/rams-gm-snead-mcleod-to-start" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/p ... d-to-start</a>

During the broadcast of Thursday night's preseason finale, St. Louis Rams general manager Les Snead made an appearance in the booth and made an interesting comment about safety Rodney McLeod.

Snead was discussing the lack of playing time for Rams starters against Baltimore when he pointed out that a few of the starters were getting some different looks to open the game. One of those starters he mentioned was McLeod, who started at safety last week in place of injured Darian Stewart (hamstring).

[hilite]"You saw a Rodney McLeod who is gonna start at safety for us, come in and play nickel with this group because he’s going to be our backup nickel," Snead said.[/hilite]

Snead's intent clearly was to discuss that McLeod is the backup nickel corner behind Trumaine Johnson, but did he also let the cat out of the bag in a (somewhat) unofficial way in terms of McLeod's role? Until coach Jeff Fisher acknowledges the move, it remains to be seen whether McLeod has won the starting job on a permanent basis or if Snead was simply referring to McLeod as the starter in the context of Stewart's continued absence.

If McLeod does indeed win the starting job, it won't come as much of a surprise to anyone. Before the Rams played Denver last week, it was clear he'd have the opportunity to win the job with a couple of solid performances. He played well against the Broncos and drew praise from Fisher.

I asked Fisher on Sunday if that job was now up for grabs, and he didn't exactly turn the idea away.

“Typically guys don’t lose their jobs because of injury, but we’ll just re-evaluate when Stew comes back,” Fisher said.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the quote concerning McLeod by Wagoner is inaccurate. I believe what Les said was; "McLeod is (A) safety for us", not that he is (THE) safety.

Then again, to quote her highness "what difference does it make?" :yawn:

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
My Dad and I were at the Fudge Packer game and I coulda sworn that Stewart was pulled for McLeod Jr., little did I know Stewart got injured. To my amusement McLeod Jr. played lights out ever since he was put in that game....I really happy to say:

Ba da bop bop baaaaaa, I'm lovin the McSafties :cool: