McLeod hit wasn't a penalty, Fisher says/PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
McLeod hit wasn't a penalty, Fisher says
• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_5ab58e70-4b7e-54b1-b8e7-e56f57edff43.html

After taking advantage of a blown coverage for a 42-yard scoring pass from Peyton Manning to Emmanuel Sanders to cut the Rams’ halftime lead to 13-7, the Denver Broncos felt like they had some momentum going into the second half Sunday.

Four plays into the opening drive of the second half, Manning launched a pass down the right sideline for Sanders. The pass fell incomplete as the Rams’ Rodney McLeod came across from his free safety spot to deliver a hit that drew a flag for unnecessary roughness.

Sanders, who had five catches for 102 yards, left the game with concussion symptoms.

“I don’t think Rodney’s hit was a penalty, but we understand they’re going to call these things,’’ said Rams coach Jeff Fisher, whose team beat Denver 22-7 Sunday in its most complete game of the season. “I don’t think it was a foul. It was shoulder contact to shoulder. They thought it was ... helmet-to-helmet on a defenseless receiver, defenseless player.’’

Fisher, who is on the league’s competition committee, was asked if he’d like to see such plays made reviewable.

“They’re going to talk about it,’’ he said. “I’m sure it will be addressed again this offseason. The issue is where do you draw the line as far as penalties?... Is it that penalty? Is it on a defenseless player? Then do you go to the quarterback, say hands to face or not? I think those things will be discussed, but we’ll just have to see.

“Replay was not designed for that.’’

DEFENSE SHINES

According to unofficial press box stats, linebackers Alec Ogletree and James Laurinaitis paced the Rams Sunday with 13 and 11 tackles, respectively. Ogletree, a first-round draft pick in 2013, also had an interception and defended two other passes.

It was Ogletree’s second consecutive game with a pick.

“Alec’s playing at a really high level the last few weeks,’’ Fisher said. “He’s making a lot of plays for us, tackling well.’’

Ogletree, who came on strong last year to lead the Rams in tackles, has clearly stepped up since being benched late in the loss at Kansas City on Oct. 26. A league source told the Post-Dispatch that Ogletree reported to training camp overweight.

“I think he’s got a much better feel for what we’re doing,’’ the coach continued. “It took him a while to get in good shape — I don’t think he was in the best of shape when he came to camp. We’re using him a lot more behind the ball as opposed to just lining up on the line of scrimmage. ... Alec is playing really good in space.’’

Ogletree’s interception, on the first play of the fourth quarter, helped set up the fourth of five field goals for Greg Zuerlein.

The interception came one play after Laurinaitis sacked Manning.

Later in the fourth quarter, on a fourth-and-4 play from the St. Louis 28, Manning was able to spin away from the Rams’ Robert Quinn but right into the arms of rookie Aaron Donald, who picked up his fourth sack of the year.

On the next Denver possession, Manning tried a pass between two Rams to Demaryius Thomas, but cornerback Trumaine Johnson came away with the interception.

Other tackling leaders for the Rams on Sunday were rookie defensive back E.J. Gaines (eight), safety T.J. McDonald (five) and cornerback Janoris Jenkins (four).

Dressed out for just the third time this season, rookie safety Maurice Alexander, the Eureka High product, paced the Rams on special teams with a pair of tackles.

Others picking up special-teams tackles were Mark Barron, Cody Davis, Trey Watts and Will Herring.

DENVER’S IMBALANCE

The Broncos all but abandoned the run Sunday — throwing on 28 consecutive plays at one point in the second half — as Manning completed 34 of 54 passes for 389 yards. Second-year back C.J. Anderson struggled in his first start, rushing for 29 yards on nine carries.

Anderson, playing in place of injured starter Ronnie Hillman (foot), had eight catches for 86 yards.

Another Denver back, ex-Timberland High standout Montee Ball, was targeted twice in the passing game but left the action early in the second quarter after aggravating a groin injury. Ball, a second-round draft pick in 2013, had missed the previous five games.

“When you throw 50-something times, that’s probably not the ideal scenario that you want to take place coming into the game,’’ said Manning, whose team was four of 12 on third down and zero for four on fourth-down plays Sunday. “I think that plays to their strength a little bit, but those are passes I’ve got to complete.”

“I thought the guys up front fought like crazy against a good pass rush, and I’ve got to complete more of them and find a way to score more than seven points.’’

RAM-BLING

As part of their Day of Service program, Rams staff, players and Rampage will join associates from Edward Jones to participate today in the American Red Cross Holiday Mail for Heroes program. They will team with students from Westridge Elementary and Fairview Elementary in the Rockwood School District to personalize more than 8,000 specially designed holiday cards featuring Rams defensive end Chris Long that will then be set to the troops and veterans.

Running back Chase Reynolds will be part of the program at Westridge, with tight end Justice Cunningham at Fairview.

Jim Thomas of the Post-Dispatch contributed to this report.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Peter King chimes in:

CLEAN HIT. Where do you stand on the terrible call made by the officials in the Rams-Broncos game, when the Rams’ Rodney McLeod was flagged for a personal foul for his hit on Emmanuel Sanders? Yes, it was a very hard hit, but it was shoulder to shoulder, and Sanders was not hit in the head or neck. And McLeod didn’t launch himself or use his helmet as a weapon. I think the refs have become way too cowed over issues of concussions and are now way too quick to throw a flag on a big hit, even when it’s not warranted under the rules.

—George, Boston

I thought it was a hard but clean hit. It did not appear to me that it was a helmet-to-helmet hit. In this age of caution when it comes to debilitating hits on receivers, the emotional reaction to hard hits should not determine the way the officials on the field call the play. As painful a hit as it was, I would not say it deserved a penalty.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/nfl-week-11-mailbag-steelers-titans/

jap

Legend
Peter King chimes in:

CLEAN HIT. Where do you stand on the terrible call made by the officials in the Rams-Broncos game, when the Rams’ Rodney McLeod was flagged for a personal foul for his hit on Emmanuel Sanders? Yes, it was a very hard hit, but it was shoulder to shoulder, and Sanders was not hit in the head or neck. And McLeod didn’t launch himself or use his helmet as a weapon. I think the refs have become way too cowed over issues of concussions and are now way too quick to throw a flag on a big hit, even when it’s not warranted under the rules.

—George, Boston

I thought it was a hard but clean hit. It did not appear to me that it was a helmet-to-helmet hit. In this age of caution when it comes to debilitating hits on receivers, the emotional reaction to hard hits should not determine the way the officials on the field call the play. As painful a hit as it was, I would not say it deserved a penalty.

http://mmqb.si.com/2014/11/18/nfl-week-11-mailbag-steelers-titans/

Since the officials supposedly are part-time players and do not make enough money to be fined, their sponsors, the league office, should absorb the fines and have the offended player(s)|team reimbursed.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Amazing that they saw helmet to helmet in a hit that happened so fast but can't see Quinn being rode like a bull for 2-3 seconds right in front of them.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Since the officials supposedly are part-time players and do not make enough money to be fined, their sponsors, the league office, should absorb the fines and have the offended player(s)|team reimbursed.

Pay the player out of money they've collected from fines.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
They're going to call that hit on Sanders every time as anything close to a penalty that helps the offense is going to be called ... especially when the result of that hit injures an offensive player clean or not. With the obvious exception that any team playing the Rams is free to make any illegal tackle they wish, to include pile drivers.

More important than the penalty against McLeod, is I think that holding is allowed against Quinn.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Amazing that they saw helmet to helmet in a hit that happened so fast but can't see Quinn being rode like a bull for 2-3 seconds right in front of them.
Just amazing huh!
blind referees.png

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
i was sitting a fair distance off the field and it was loud. I swear I could hear the air leave his body. Compares to when Stewart laid out that Zona RB in a thu. game a couple years ago.
Yes it was a legal hit.