McDonald breaks leg, could return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Nick Wagoner
<a class="postlink" href="http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9733561/st-louis-rams-place-tj-mcdonald-ir-designation-return" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/97335 ... ion-return</a>

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- St. Louis Rams safety T.J. McDonald suffered a broken leg against the San Francisco 49ers on Thursday night, but the injury will not end his rookie season after just four games.

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said Friday that McDonald's fractured right leg was not displaced and will not require surgery, which puts him on a trajectory to return before the end of the season.

Given that diagnosis, the Rams used their lone injured reserve with the designation to return tag on McDonald, allowing them to replace him on the active roster while not officially ending his season.

"It times up with the doctor's estimation of when he'll be back, so it's not season-ending," Fisher said. "So that's, in a lot of ways, good news for us."

The designated to return provision began last season, and the Rams used it then on center Scott Wells.

Under the rule, which requires the player to sit out eight games, McDonald will have to miss the next six weeks before he can return to practice. From there, he has two weeks to begin practicing before a decision must be made.

Losing McDonald is another blow to an already struggling secondary. In four games, the rookie out of USC was fifth on the team in tackles with 18 and was a key contributor on special teams.

"He was playing well," Fisher said. "In addition to those things defensively, you know, he was close to blocking punts and he was playing well for us on special teams."

After McDonald exited Thursday's game, the Rams used veteran Matt Giordano in his place. Giordano and Darian Stewart figure to get opportunities with McDonald out, and the team promoted rookie Cody Davis from the practice squad for depth.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
There's a piece of good news!

The more games he gets under his belt this year the better.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
At least he'll be available to contribute during the playoffs.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Jim-Mora-playoffs.jpeg

ramsince62

Hall of Fame
Under the rule, which requires the player to sit out eight games, McDonald will have to miss the next six weeks before he can return to practice. From there, he has two weeks to begin practicing before a decision must be made.

Is that 8 games or 8 weeks? The bye week comes into play during that period. Therefore, he could possibly return for either the Chicago game or the 12th game versus SF.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
X said:
Selassie I said:
Jim-Mora-playoffs.jpeg
I literally LMAO.
Thanks for that :lmao:

Good news on TJ. His style of play and intelligence on the field was really starting to grow on me. Too bad he's gonna miss valuable time, but at least it's not an IR rehab see ya next year injury.