McDaniels

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
How long of a contract did McD sign, anyone know?

Just wondering if the new regime would keep him.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Two years, so he has a year left if we don't fire him, or he doesn't go somewhere else.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So, I wondered about McDaniels future. And obviously the Rams have not let him go yet. Which leaves me to wonder if he'll interview for HC position?1

BuiltRamTough

Pro Bowler
Name
Edmond
Honestly it's hard to say if his the right guy as OC let alone HC just bc the lack of talent we had on offense plus no offseason and Sam is in his second year I mean I wanted spags to stay I'm still pissed but on Josh I don't know what to think for the reasons I mentioned but I wouldn't mind them to bring in Brad Childress for OC he runs the WCO he might be a good fit.

Anonymous

Here;s Mike Franke on McDaniels.

I agree with a lot of what he says.

Shurmur had if anything less talent last year and did more with it.

Josh McDaniels was the biggest bust of the season and the worst offensive coordinator in team history, combining wretched play-calling with miserable failure to adjust his system to the abilities of his players.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I wouldn't celebrate Franke as being the end all of an objective fan, let alone analyst, although I appreciate what he does, it gets pretty thick. I know that you do not like McDaniels, but please don't start along the path that some have recently taken. He is our one coach that we retained. We support him here. If or when he leaves, do what you like.

Anonymous

[quote="DR RAM"
]I wouldn't celebrate Franke as being the end all of an objective fan, let alone analyst,

He said something I agree with. So I quoted it. I think it's true, what he said.

I can say McD did a poor job this year adjusting to a young offense. I think it's completely true and I think that's what ruined the first third of the season. Why wouldn't I say it if I thought it. And what's the harm in saying it.

And it has nothing to do with whether I "like" him--as it happens, I was big on his bandwagon before the season started. I've also said he produced the best running game the Rams have had since the last 6 games of 2006. And I've also said that when they finally catch on to this offense, it will be a good one. So far though he has been bad for the young players, Bradford included.

I doubt he stays either way. He only has a one year deal, which means that the system switch issue is going to come up again anyway even if he does stay.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I was firmly seated on the McDaniels bandwagon as well but have lost some faith in his abilities throughout the year. The overall production was obviously a disappointment but more so was his seeming inability to react well and/or be smart.

The whole SJ goal line incident springs to mind and in general, the play calling didn't seem to suit the personnel at hand. The trick plays have been downright bad and horribly mistimed.

Luckily(?) there were so many bad things that happened that it's difficult to really evaluate specifically what McDaniels was doing. There's only so far the implementation/shortened off-season, HC getting fired, etc. can go though and the offense's long list of problems has McDaniels hanging by a thread IMO.

Potential and continuity are all that really keep McDaniels as the potential OC in 2012. That Kroenke is enamored with the "War Room" book and Bill Belichick doesn't hurt and is probably why McDaniels survived the coaching clear-out.

I certainly hope a full off season and OTA's and hopefully a playmaker or two make the offense resemble at least what they had in Denver. What New England has had is a pipe-dream at this point.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
[quote="DR RAM"
]I wouldn't celebrate Franke as being the end all of an objective fan, let alone analyst,

He said something I agree with. So I quoted it. I think it's true, what he said.

I can say McD did a poor job this year adjusting to a young offense. I think it's completely true and I think that's what ruined the first third of the season. Why wouldn't I say it if I thought it. And what's the harm in saying it.

And it has nothing to do with whether I "like" him--as it happens, I was big on his bandwagon before the season started. I've also said he produced the best running game the Rams have had since the last 6 games of 2006. And I've also said that when they finally catch on to this offense, it will be a good one. So far though he has been bad for the young players, Bradford included.

I doubt he stays either way. He only has a one year deal, which means that the system switch issue is going to come up again anyway even if he does stay.
It's not about whether or not you think McDaniels is to blame or even if you think he's good or bad. We all have our opinions on that. It's just the hyperbole Franke uses in his analysis. We try to avoid "that" here. I know you didn't say it either - you just pasted it.

Personally I think McDaniels did no favors to this team. He tried to be inventive, and he tried to do the best he could with what he had, but some of what he did on the field was really, really, really counterproductive. Maybe if it was executed properly it could have been good, but that's where the problem lies. You can't get 11 guys on offense to flawlessly execute a game plan you installed a week prior (see the first Seattle game) when you have mostly young guys who never even tried stuff like that before. It should have been basic, vanilla, pre-season football (IMO) until THAT became second nature. Then you can start to get creative.

But anyway, that's just my opinion. We can critique the guy without saying things like:
worst offensive coordinator in team history, combining wretched play-calling with miserable failure to adjust his system to the abilities of his players. That's kinda overkill. He did a poor job. We can enumerate the reasons why we think so without all the hyperbole. Like I did in this post.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
[quote="DR RAM"

It's not about whether or not you think McDaniels is to blame or even if you think he's good or bad. We all have our opinions on that. It's just the hyperbole Franke uses in his analysis. We try to avoid "that" here. I know you didn't say it either - you just pasted it.

Personally I think McDaniels did no favors to this team. He tried to be inventive, and he tried to do the best he could with what he had, but some of what he did on the field was really, really, really counterproductive. Maybe if it was executed properly it could have been good, but that's where the problem lies. You can't get 11 guys on offense to flawlessly execute a game plan you installed a week prior (see the first Seattle game) when you have mostly young guys who never even tried stuff like that before. It should have been basic, vanilla, pre-season football (IMO) until THAT became second nature. Then you can start to get creative.

But anyway, that's just my opinion. We can critique the guy without saying things like:
worst offensive coordinator in team history, combining wretched play-calling with miserable failure to adjust his system to the abilities of his players. That's kinda overkill. He did a poor job. We can enumerate the reasons why we think so without all the hyperbole. Like I did in this post.

This is not irony---but I just think that';s one of the most brilliant points in the history of posting.

Oh. Wait...............

:cool:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
He did a poor job. We can enumerate the reasons why we think so without all the hyperbole. Like I did in this post.

This is not irony---but I just think that';s one of the most brilliant points in the history of posting.

Oh. Wait...............

:cool:
Hyperbole. In that case? Is warranted.

I'll let it slide. :mrgreen:

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I didn't post (originally) to defend or debate McDaniel's or Franke. I just don't want to start seeing numerous posts or arguments about McDaniel's this and McDaniel's that. We went through that with another poster and Spags. That poster is essentially gone because of it. Just a quick warning for everyone here.

Now...
zn wrote:
So far though he has been bad for the young players, Bradford included.

I don't agree with that at all. If players executed plays, you'd think him a genius, we all would. Every offense that he's ever been a part of, including his first year in Denver averaged 27 points a game. This team has shot itself in the foot all year in the Red Zone, and to kill drives, by committing ridiculous penalties. We can look for excuses as to why that happened, but none of us really know. The point is that it happened, and it happened again, and again.

As far as play calling, I can make up excuses too. I can hardly imagine all of what he had to go through to call games. I watched games where he was down to no tight ends. I watched games where receivers and tight ends dropped numerous passes that would have extended drives. I watched games where he Jackson and Williams were both out. I watched games where we lost multiple offensive lineman. I watched games where street free agents and a small school rookie played in games with the benefit of only a walk through the day before a game. We ended up the season with a line consisting of Goldberg, Brown, Wragge, Mattison, and Dahl. I watched games where when we were on the goal line, McDaniel's is trying to call a play and he is having animated discussions with Spags on the sideline as the players watch and wait. I watched games in the chat room with other fans and everyone winced at a play call, to only find out later that we had no fullback, or tight end, and were playing with four backup lineman, and our backup QB.

I gave Spags a flier only because of the perfect storm of shit that happened throughout the year, because I truly believed (still do) that it was (the shit) significant, and that those extenuating circumstances changed what our team really was. I afford McDaniel's that same flier. I know that he had a really unique set of problems to deal with this year. I could go on and on, but I won't.