McDaniels looks back on tough season

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Jeff Gordon
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football/professional/mcdaniels-looks-back-on-tough-season/article_29a1a3a1-5fc2-5592-ab4e-ce9ce5cd9b7c.html#ixzz1iAO6yh6p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stltoday.com/sports/football ... z1iAO6yh6p</a>

[wrapimg=left]http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/stltoday.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/0/78/0782f4a3-2a2f-5777-ad24-49b1c9ec666b/4e4b0cc2b2884.preview-300.jpg[/wrapimg]The Rams hired offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels to expand their attack and make quarterback Sam Bradford a more effective downfield passer. This ambitious move drew mostly positive reviews from industry experts.

But unmitigated disaster ensued, largely because of catastrophic injuries at wide receiver, offensive line and quarterback. The Rams' offense has struggled through a historically bad season.

What did McDaniels learn from the fiasco?

"I think that you can't ever assume anything," he said. "You have to put the time and the effort in to make it all work. Bringing me here, doesn't mean that I'm going to do anything that I've done in the past. Bringing an individual player here doesn't mean they're going to do the same thing, you have to mesh together. It's a group of individuals that has to become a team and has to work together, has to fit together the right way.

"Every time that I've switched venues, I've learned that in a different way. I went from New England to Denver and learned that once, and then from Denver here and learned it again. I think it's about how people interact and people mesh together and you have to continue to work in this business to make sure that you have the right group of guys together."

The team's failure has subjected McDaniels to a great deal of job speculation. Should the Rams fire him, McDaniels could reunite with Kansas City Chiefs general manager Scott Pioli. The two worked together in New England, where McDaniels had success with current Chiefs quarterback Matt Cassel.

As for his decision to come to St. Louis …

"No regrets. No regrets," McDaniels said. "Every year is different. Every year is a challenge in this league. You're blessed to have the opportunity to coach in the National Football League. You have to do everything you can to try to help the team win. This organization has been great to me. I have no regrets about being here and we're going to try to close it out the right way."

Clemens expected to start again

As expected, quarterback Kellen Clemens worked with the first offensive unit Friday and prepared to start his third consecutive game.

Bradford still has limited mobility while recovering from his high ankle sprain. Back-up A.J. Feeley is unable to grip the football properly with his still-healing broken thumb.

"Every team, every offensive coach wants to have the same quarterback for 16 games," Rams coach Steve Spagnuolo said after Friday's practice. "It just makes the continuity. Last year that's what we had. It was a rookie quarterback, but it was 16 games, so each game that goes by you build and everybody gets more comfortable. We just haven't had the luxury this year. From that point it's frustrating."

Running back Jerious Norwood (illness), defensive tackle (illness), Chris Long (ankle) and Josh Gordy (oblique) practiced Friday after missing time earlier in the week.

No blackout

Despite their 2-13 record, the Rams avoided the television blackout for the season finale. The last blacked-out Rams game came during the final game of the 2009 season.

Only nine Rams regular-season games have been blacked out during their 17 seasons in St. Louis.

Battlefield promotion

Tight end Ben Guidugli is finishing out this season on the active roster. He initially made the 53-man roster coming out of training camp, then got cut. He re-signed as a practice squad player and made himself useful on the scout team, playing fullback and linebacker in addition to tight end.

"He's been the jack of all trades all year long," Spagnuolo said.

Guidugli, an undrafted free agent from the University of Cincinnati, gains some extra money and exposure with his Week 17 promotion.

"I definitely appreciate it," he said. "It's a good reward for a year of hard work. Playing linebacker, playing fullback, playing tight end, playing slot receiver and the special teams, whatever they need me to do. I try to give them the best look I can and hopefully they will use me Sunday."