McDaniels/Cable bow out of 49ers coaching search/Kyle Shanahan to be offered job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Shanny in SF beats Shanny in AZ... by 1000

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I would bet big money he implodes in San Francisco. I just cannot see his ego meshing with Jed York's ego. He's a great x's and o's guy, but it takes A LOT more than strategy to be a head coach. I say give it 2 years before this guy s canned. Just my opinion tho.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Why take the first thing that comes along, without even looking at all the options?

Did you forget about all the others we interviewed? If you find "the guy" that fits everything you want to do, you don't risk losing him by waiting to interview another candidate that may be "the guy". They may have thought the 9ers were going to offer him the job. Obviously they didn't think as highly of Shanahan as some of us did.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Rams didn't want to wait and fell in love with mcvay

That appears to be what happened.
And it's extremely stupid.

Now, I'm not saying it can't work out for the Rams, it's just a dumb thing to do.

FRO

Legend
If I'm Shanahan, I give it another year. Indy, Detroit, Arizona, Houston, Cincy, Carolina, etc.. could all be looking for coaches next year, and all are more attractive than working for that idiot in the Bay, imo.
San Francisco is a blank canvas. That is always intriguing for coaches. The owner sucks, but there are many bad owners in the league. With the number 2 overall pick and a ton of cap space Shanahan may want the job.

wmc540

Pro Bowler
San Francisco is a blank canvas. That is always intriguing for coaches. The owner sucks, but there are many bad owners in the league. With the number 2 overall pick and a ton of cap space Shanahan may want the job.

At the same time, it'd be pretty funny if he backed out also

FRO

Legend
At the same time, it'd be pretty funny if he backed out also
It would be ideal for sure, because they'd be left with nothing. I'm pretty sure they've had strong assurances from the Shanahan camp that he is coming over.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That appears to be what happened.
And it's extremely stupid.

Now, I'm not saying it can't work out for the Rams, it's just a dumb thing to do.

If you can interview everyone on 1 day then great, you can make a sound decision at the end of that day, but this process isn't like that at all.

Due diligence would have been done well in advance of interviews taking place, seeing who would work with who etc. It sounds like McVay had Phillips in his sights and that worked for the Rams org.

Sometimes when you interview candidates you 'just know' and it sounds like this is what happened. Demoff said that they weren't in a hurry to name a HC but wanted the right one, and he did say if that means waiting post SB then so be it. I just think McVay won the job.

Now don't get me wrong I get the, but we should have interviewed everyone - by which time its possible that McVay and or Phillips weren't available. It WAS / IS a bold move, but I think it's one that had to be made. I think they sought plenty of advice from third parties and didn't 'rush' into it. I truly think it's a good decision and so far has been great appointments to the coaching staff.

I think the fact that McVay took an ok team and played some great football - dropping them in the top 3 in offensive stats for most categories is something to be impressed with.

Lets just celebrate that we have a new HC, and get behind the decision.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We never did interview Shanahan, did we?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
So what if the Rams had waited for the Shanny's and they still chose the whiners? Who would even be available in THAT scenario? I am fine with the Rams decision personally. Shanny Sr has a history in SF and probably would have swayed Jr to go there over LA anyway.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
If you can interview everyone on 1 day then great, you can make a sound decision at the end of that day, but this process isn't like that at all.

Due diligence would have been done well in advance of interviews taking place, seeing who would work with who etc. It sounds like McVay had Phillips in his sights and that worked for the Rams org.

Sometimes when you interview candidates you 'just know' and it sounds like this is what happened. Demoff said that they weren't in a hurry to name a HC but wanted the right one, and he did say if that means waiting post SB then so be it. I just think McVay won the job.

Now don't get me wrong I get the, but we should have interviewed everyone - by which time its possible that McVay and or Phillips weren't available. It WAS / IS a bold move, but I think it's one that had to be made. I think they sought plenty of advice from third parties and didn't 'rush' into it. I truly think it's a good decision and so far has been great appointments to the coaching staff.

I think the fact that McVay took an ok team and played some great football - dropping them in the top 3 in offensive stats for most categories is something to be impressed with.

Lets just celebrate that we have a new HC, and get behind the decision.

I've interviewed/hired people for years, I get the 'gut' feeling thing, however I have to disagree with 'falling in love' with one candidate and excluding others. I think you limit yourself by doing that. Ironically I recall Snead saying we have to avoid "falling in love" with one player and excluding others.

Same thing here. I believe we limited ourselves by doing so. I hope it works out.

I guess I'm concerned that McVay did not handle all of the OC duties at Washington and is now jumping to HC. Like I said, it could work out and for sure I hope it does. I'll gladly eat my share of crow, I'm just saying I'm concerned with the choice, that's all.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
So what if the Rams had waited for the Shanny's and they still chose the whiners? Who would even be available in THAT scenario? I am fine with the Rams decision personally. Shanny Sr has a history in SF and probably would have swayed Jr to go there over LA anyway.

They didn't have to wait for Shannahan.
They had him scheduled for an interview the week they hired McVay, they just cancelled the interview because they "fell in love" with McVay.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Who knows if Mike Shanahan has spoken to them or not? That would circumvent the whole policy issue

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. Sounds like he'll take the 49ers job. Will be interesting to compare he and McVay over the next 3 years.

I still think there's that outside chance he realizes the danger of taking that job. If he goes in there and the owner is a pain in the @$$, he probably won't be able to get the team over the hump and it's back into the NFL coach spin cycle the first time York has a tantrum. His Dad is going to be part of that conversation with him I am sure, and even if he is interested in the job that does not mean it will happen because if he's smart he's going to want assurances on some things. York could very well F that up once they sit down and start talking in earnest.

But assuming he's the hire there, yeah it's going to make the NFC West look pretty intriguing. Rams are going to continue to be a tough matchup defensively with Wade running our defense, and hopefully a rising offense. Shanny will immediately maximize the talent on that SF offense, think they're a year or two away in terms of talent, but he'll get the most from them. It's going to be really enjoyable to watch things settle in, and I really like our chances of things going well.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Well, really what else could they say? Everyone else has rejected them.
I think, Unless this Young-Punk Owner/CEO of the 49ers is willing to give up a lot of Power/Control to Shanahan, he'll stay in HotLanta for another Year!! The 49ers have more problems than any other Team in the League, including The Cleveland Browns!! JMHO!!

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
They didn't have to wait for Shannahan.
They had him scheduled for an interview the week they hired McVay, they just cancelled the interview because they "fell in love" with McVay.
They didn't cancel because they "fell in love" with McVay. They cancelled because of weather delays if I recall correctly. Completely out of their control.