McCoy, Suh, Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah I liken it to being something like how when everybody a few years back was on Sanchez, Freeman, and Locker and the guy from Miami nuts but how are they doing now? Do they have half the potential that Sam did and does? No. That's How I feel about Brian Quick.... He's going to have a breakout season next year I feel IMO.

That's what I'm hoping for although Jeffery won't burn out like those guys. He's a big guy with deceptive speed and extremely strong hands. He'll be good for awhile. Regardless, we don't have Jeffery. We do have Quick so I am rooting for Quick to be a star.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I honestly DO think Quick is going to be real good. I dunno if he will be all pro type but he seems to work hard and will do what he is asked to do. That may not spell star but all teams need team players and he may be just another one of those. Hope the best for him and would love him to be a star but I'm ok with him being a real contributor.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
That's what I'm hoping for although Jeffery won't burn out like those guys. He's a big guy with deceptive speed and extremely strong hands. He'll be good for awhile. Regardless, we don't have Jeffery. We do have Quick so I am rooting for Quick to be a star.
As long as his mind doesn't get in the way. I do believe that was one of the main knocks against Alshon. Not that he's stupid - just not that into being his best. Honestly, I think that criticism has sparked him. But I get why people passed on him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The only valid critique of Sam in my book is his ability to stay healthy. He owns proving that.

Otherwise, he's here the next 10 years.
Agree. Sam has got to stay on the field. He can't be getting injured every other year. And I don't care if people call it bad luck. He's got to play smarter and avoid injury.

I personally believe a savvy QB avoids this last injury.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
It sure helps Alshon Jeffery he has other nice teammates such as Brandon Marshall that takes away multiple coverages and roll backs his way doesn't it? It always helps the offensive coordinator didn't have head stuck in butt roughly half the season or his teams offensive philosophy isn't run first like it is the Rams. Brian Quick is doing just fine in his progression IMO and no one will obviously ever know how Alshon or anybody else would do in our offense.

It bugs me when a mere fan thinks he knows more than most Team personnel after researching players with a few hours of youtube tape. However, I do see where you are coming from and think I have similar tastes you have with our pick as I wanted DeCastro and liked David as well. However with our personal, play calling, coaches, and philosophy who knows if they would have panned out negatively or positively with us.

Rammer you might be in the wrong place if you don't like fans playing GM. Forum fans especially, do this on a regular basis. We love making our own evaluations and suggesting picks. We also love to do mock drafts and even revisit players that we were high on that are playing successfully. We also know that we are not always right.

It sounds like you are basically saying that you hate it when people have opinions that don't jive with the pros? And that pro coaches and GMs always are smarter than fans? I disagree, but lets see how that fits into this line of thinking. I guess you think that Jerry Jones should continue running the Cowboys exactly the way he does? You think Daniel Snyder trying to buy players instead of developing them is a good strategy? Do you think that the Rams wasting a pick on Lawrence Phillips was a good choice? Scott Linehan drafted better than all the fans could have? Teams don't ever make worse choices than fans would?

Some posters on here are very good at player evaluations and there is nothing wrong with them second guessing the GMs, coaches and scouts.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
We needed a QB more than a DT. Sam was the best of them all in the draft. It was an easy choice. I like Bradford and laugh when i see comments on sites or forums about how much Bradford sucks. They base most of it on stats but never figure in the games he missed back in his 2nd season, and they hate on him because he isn't "mobile" like Kap or Wilson. Since you know, mobile Qb's always lead their team to the SB and a SB win......oh wait.......

We are going to destroy the NFL next year with Bradford leading the ship.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
that's OK delete my posts.... thanks. ClanRam2.0

No one is trying to attack you. People are just explaining their different viewpoints and I agree with them. There are a lot of supremely knowledgeable people working in NFL Front Offices...and then there are some that aren't. Fans may not know more football than the majority of these guys but they still should be able to express an opinion...and the one thing that fans do have is less pressure...which means they're less likely to over-analyze players and second guess their gut feelings.

Which to me seems like an issue a lot of NFL personnel evaluators have from time to time.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Agree. Sam has got to stay on the field. He can't be getting injured every other year. And I don't care if people call it bad luck. He's got to play smarter and avoid injury.

I personally believe a savvy QB avoids this last injury.

Please explain how a "savvy" QB avoids that, going out of bounds (which is what most QBs do) and another guy comes barreling at him.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Please explain how a "savvy" QB avoids that, going out of bounds (which is what most QBs do) and another guy comes barreling at him.

Glad you asked.

When you watch Sam running toward the sidelines, he tried a fake pass that slowed him down a bit getting out of bounds. He just looked awkward from the fake pass up until he got near the sideline. He has got to protect himself first. Don't put yourself in a vulnerable position.

And that has been a problem for him. He had to learn how to protect himself from landing awkwardly on his shoulder. Fisher has said that some players know how to avoid taking injury type hits. Sam has not been one of those players.

Watch Russell Wilson play. The guy has eyes in the back of his head.

So I don't think Sam is fragile at all. I just think he is prone to being in a vulnerable position.

Phil Simms had the same problem.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Glad you asked.

When you watch Sam running toward the sidelines, he tried a fake pass that slowed him down a bit getting out of bounds. He just looked awkward from the fake pass up until he got near the sideline. He has got to protect himself first. Don't put yourself in a vulnerable position.

And that has been a problem for him. He had to learn how to protect himself from landing awkwardly on his shoulder. Fisher has said that some players know how to avoid taking injury type hits. Sam has not been one of those players.

Watch Russell Wilson play. The guy has eyes in the back of his head.

So I don't think Sam is fragile at all. I just think he is prone to being in a vulnerable position.

Phil Simms had the same problem.

I don't get it...you can't help when you land awkwardly no matter how much you practice how to fall. Especially w/ freak injuries like this. He's done that same move many times. I don't think you can say that he isn't protecting himself when a dude is coming after him full speed OBs.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I don't get it...you can't help when you land awkwardly no matter how much you practice how to fall. Especially w/ freak injuries like this. He's done that same move many times. I don't think you can say that he isn't protecting himself when a dude is coming after him full speed OBs.

I see it the way I see it. Hopefully, he can stay on the field for more than one season in a row. He hasn't done that in 5 years. So, that remains a valid concern. And I'm not gonna put my head in the sand and say it's just bad luck and it could happen to any QB.

fearsomefour

Legend
So if as you say they tried to deal the pick and weren't able to do so ( that I say is as much a function of demanded price as being completely unable)it's a pretty good indication the Rams themselvs didn't think Sam was a no brainer pick,and no one with the wherewithal to move into position to pick him did either.
But once again the insistence that the cat MUST be skinned this way, won't ever fly with me.
One of the best no picks I've seen was Houston refusing to draft Reggie Bush and opting for Mario Williams and neither set the world on fire,ADD TO THAT the acknowledged paradigm that choosing the wrong "franchise " QB sets a franchise back worse than the wrong DT because the QB is always given more time to become the answer and often plays ahead of someone even outsiders believe would produce better ( as in RG and Cousins)

I was speaking of taking a QB first overall, not Bradford specifically. The money dictated a QB be taken first overall. I dont think Bradford was a no brainer pick given his injury history and the O he was playing in. If the Rams had Bradford rated at a 92/100 grade (making up numbers) and another QB rated at a 88/100 on the same scale and they were a team full of holes it would be foolish to not entertain trade offers. It may be nothing more than a team was not willing to give what the Rams wanted to move up to get a QB with that injury history. I agree about different ways to reach the point goal.
As for value a GM could be very conservative and always trade down 1s and 2s and draft sheer numbers with late draft picks. That does not insure anything either. I do believe the Rams were "stuck" with that pick and would have traded down if they got a good enough offer.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I was speaking of taking a QB first overall, not Bradford specifically. The money dictated a QB be taken first overall. I dont think Bradford was a no brainer pick given his injury history and the O he was playing in. If the Rams had Bradford rated at a 92/100 grade (making up numbers) and another QB rated at a 88/100 on the same scale and they were a team full of holes it would be foolish to not entertain trade offers. It may be nothing more than a team was not willing to give what the Rams wanted to move up to get a QB with that injury history. I agree about different ways to reach the point goal.
As for value a GM could be very conservative and always trade down 1s and 2s and draft sheer numbers with late draft picks. That does not insure anything either. I do believe the Rams were "stuck" with that pick and would have traded down if they got a good enough offer.
Gotcha,but ya know Minnesota passed on a pick and let sometime ahead of them don't remember who they were avoiding "having to draft" but this story is sort of a fungible one seems they were they weren't they were they weren't and it's not a hill of beans now, I'm sayin' though that the dogmatic way it gets viewed just doesn't fly for me,the can't miss evaluation, the you have to do this stuff, just seems to NEVER bear out,ok rarely turns out,the feeding frenzy.
BTW I'm glad we did what we did,I"M SOLD on Sam,but it's a recent sale.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I see it the way I see it. Hopefully, he can stay on the field for more than one season in a row. He hasn't done that in 5 years. So, that remains a valid concern. And I'm not gonna put my head in the sand and say it's just bad luck and it could happen to any QB.

I see it similarly.

As great of an athlete he is, and Sam is one tough son of a gun... He reminds me of Drew Bledsoe athletically. He sort of lumbers when running and it's just not the kind of athlete he is.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I see it similarly.

As great of an athlete he is, and Sam is one tough son of a gun... He reminds me of Drew Bledsoe athletically. He sort of lumbers when running and it's just not the kind of athlete he is.

Venturi called Bradford a linear athlete. He is very straight line-ish. He isn't slow footed, he's just not nimble. But Brady is even slower and less nimble. However, Brady is more savvy than Sam.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Venturi called Bradford a linear athlete. He is very straight line-ish. He isn't slow footed, he's just not nimble. But Brady is even slower and less nimble. However, Brady is more savvy than Sam.

That's a good assessment of where he's at right now.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Bradford has heavy feet and build up speed. Very little quick twitch ability and burst. Plus...he's a bit of an awkward mover without great balance. Sam's gotta work on his savvyness and moves. They improved this year though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Bradford has heavy feet and build up speed. Very little quick twitch ability and burst. Plus...he's a bit of an awkward mover without great balance. Sam's gotta work on his savvyness and moves. They improved this year though.

I agree with this too.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
No one is trying to attack you. People are just explaining their different viewpoints and I agree with them. There are a lot of supremely knowledgeable people working in NFL Front Offices...and then there are some that aren't. Fans may not know more football than the majority of these guys but they still should be able to express an opinion...and the one thing that fans do have is less pressure...which means they're less likely to over-analyze players and second guess their gut feelings.

Which to me seems like an issue a lot of NFL personnel evaluators have from time to time.
Not what Im trying to say I post and my posts get deleted.alll I have to say. I thought the mods here where different...guess not