Mayock's Risers and Fallers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Has Arizona State LB Vontaze Burfict fallen off the draft board entirely?
Mike Mayock breaks down his risers and fallers with less than a month until the 2012 NFL Draft.

[flv]http://ll.video.nfl.com/films/s2012/path-draft/offseason/120329_nfln_ptd_on_the_draft_board_700k.mp4[/flv]
http://www.stlouisrams.com/media-center ... 5aa66d6a73

steferfootball

Starter
I haven't paid attention to Vontaze Burfict, but wow.

“The guy is completely out of control. There’s no way you could trust him. I can’t believe they [ASU coaching staff] didn’t cut him loose,” one scout told Feldman.
“I played average,” Burfict explained to reporters in Indy. “I could've played better. That's what hurt me at times. The coaches kind of messed me up. I didn't know if I would start a game or be benched. It hurt me, but I tried to fight through it.”
"You just scratch your head at some of the knucklehead things he does on tape," said one NFL coach. "It was the same thing over and over and over again with him. He seemed to personify why that team always seemed to underachieve."

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Wasnt he mocked late in the 1st round a lot before these issues? Seemed like a risk the Pats or Ravens would take. He already had enough concerns going into the combine and other pre-draft stuff, and hes just been digging a deeper hole for himself. Wouldnt be shocked at all if he doesnt get drafted.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
JdashSTL said:
Wasnt he mocked late in the 1st round a lot before these issues? Seemed like a risk the Pats or Ravens would take. He already had enough concerns going into the combine and other pre-draft stuff, and hes just been digging a deeper hole for himself. Wouldnt be shocked at all if he doesnt get drafted.

He was actually rated as a top fifteen pick by the majority (some said top ten). A few said that he was the best middle linebacker prospect to come out since Willis. I never bought the hype on him; I thought that guys like Kuechly and Manti Te'o (Notre Dame, 2013 draft) were always better prospects.

In my opinion, the Ravens are the only team that could be comfortable taking a chance on Burflict; they have a strong veteran defense with quality locker room guys like Lewis, Reed, Suggs, and Ngata. They're still taking a significant risk, though; Burflict got into all sorts of trouble when he was on the team (such as punching a teammate for accidentally bumping into him in the locker room and blaming the teammate afterward). I know that if he was on Oklahoma, Mizzou, or any other school that doesn't tolerate kids who pull shit like that, he would have been kicked off for good.

steferfootball

Starter
JdashSTL said:
Wouldnt be shocked at all if he doesnt get drafted.
I think the general consensus is that he isn't going to be drafted.

He is overweight, out of shape (really bad combine numbers), bad football instincts (according to mayock), and is blaming this all on his coaches..
what?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Geez Mayock the tape the same as Blackmon. :lmao: What they just showed is what Floyd is... a big, slow receiver in games. No run after catch, etc. I'm losing respect for you buddy, they are not even close...plus you have the off the field issues.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
Geez Mayock the tape the same as Blackmon. :lmao: What they just showed is what Floyd is... a big, slow receiver in games. No run after catch, etc. I'm losing respect for you buddy, they are not even close...plus you have the off the field issues.

Man I disagree with you on this one DR.

I think they are very similar on tape. I think Blackmon maybe a bit faster, but its not that big of a difference, if any. Floyd has a tendency to look for the ball a little early which slows him down, thats a habit than can be broken. He has the speed to get open deep.

Blackmon is stronger. He breaks a few more tackles. Thats negated by Floyd's top notch run blocking.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

I think they are very similar on tape. I think Blackmon maybe a bit faster, but its not that big of a difference, if any. Floyd has a tendency to look for the ball a little early which slows him down, thats a habit than can be broken. He has the speed to get open deep.

Blackmon is stronger. He breaks a few more tackles. Thats negated by Floyd's top notch run blocking.
OMG, watching the clips they look similar at all to you? We have WAY different eyes in terms of evaluating talent. Did you see any explosiveness from Floyd? Did he break any tackles, ever have seperation? Ever see him catching a deep ball downfield behind the defenders? I guess we are WAY off. Floyd looks like a slow turd to me....and his alcoholism negates any blocking advantage that he may have.

I will gladly agree to disagree on this one. I've seen too much of both these guys. I wouldn't draft Floyd, unless he fell into the third round.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
How do you two feel about Sanu?

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
X said:
I'd take him over Floyd. He flashes more explosiveness, has size and power.

I'm sorry, lib, I was a little harsh in my last post. I will be the first one to admit I was wrong if Floyd turns into a really good player, I just don't see it. I thought he had a great combine though.

superfan24

Starter
DR RAM said:
libertadrocks said:
DR RAM said:

OMG, watching the clips they look similar at all to you? We have WAY different eyes in terms of evaluating talent. Did you see any explosiveness from Floyd? Did he break any tackles, ever have seperation? Ever see him catching a deep ball downfield behind the defenders? I guess we are WAY off. Floyd looks like a slow turd to me....and his alcoholism negates any blocking advantage that he may have.

I will gladly agree to disagree on this one. I've seen too much of both these guys. I wouldn't draft Floyd, unless he fell into the third round.

Gotta disagree too Dr. Last year ND threw the ball to Floyd on slants, screens, basically anywhere to get the ball in his hands. He was also their punt returner at the end of the year because of his ability to break tackles. He goes up and get the ball at its his highest point and I can clearly remember him trucking defenders at least 3 times.
Finally, I believe Mike's alcohol problems have been over with since last summer. He has worked extensively in the South Bend community and has only has had very positive interactions with fans from those that I have talked too. He has also changed his diet and has gotten in much better shape and stronger instead of just relying on his talent. Extremely impressive work ethic.
I'm a big Floyd fan for what he did with the Irish O with a shitty QB and team leader. Wouldn't mind either Floyd or Blackmon.

superfan24

Starter
Also Mayock and every other analyst on national TV for ND games were impressed by Floyd's run blocking. Best Wr blocker in the country imo

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:

I'm sorry, lib, I was a little harsh in my last post. I will be the first one to admit I was wrong if Floyd turns into a really good player, I just don't see it. I thought he had a great combine though.

Since we are all respectfully disagreeing, Sanu is only a 2nd rounder if he's drafted to play the slot. A 4th rounder if he has to play outside the numbers. He tends to resemble Brandon Gibson the closer he gets to the sideline. His strength is over the middle and in the seems.

As far as Blackmon/ Floyd, they might look the same but are opposites in that Blackmon is good over the middle and Floyd can only play outside. They are not interchangeable.

And I wouldn't draft either in the first.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
DR RAM said:
X said:

OSU's offensive system played right into Blackmon's strength. The defense was always so spread out all he had to do was break one tackle and stroll into the endzone. He also had a much better QB.

You wanna talk about a guy that lacks explosiveness and speed. Thats Sanu. He will have serious separation issues.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2L416Cr-J8Q[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
superfan24 said:
Also Mayock and every other analyst on national TV for ND games were impressed by Floyd's run blocking. Best Wr blocker in the country imo
He can block...great. He can catch...great. He can drink...not great. If blocking is what a great WR make, then Dom Curry would be an all-pro.

He looks more like a joker tight end than a WR to me. You will find that I am in the minority. Everyone has him as their number 1 or 2, but not me. I'm OK with that. Part of my evaluation on him is that he is not the type of receiver that I think the Rams need. Again, I may be in the minority, but I stick to what I see and say. If he goes in the top 10, I would absolutely be floored.

@ Libertadrocks, Sanu does have some of those issues...I totally agree. He would not be what I'd deem as a fit for the WR that I want for the team. That tape...what impressed you about it? I truly don't get it. I saw one very good sideline catch and nothing else.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXJKIE2jTL0[/youtube]

I'm not all in for Sanu, but compare the two clips for footspeed and explosiveness. See the difference? See Sanu after the catch? I'd take Sanu over Floyd.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
While speculating I would knock the wheels off of this at #39

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qTJkl-4s2k[/youtube]

And if not for sure this ball catcher in the 3rd. Plus he has already had his complimentary knee injury.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=igisji7gj0I[/youtube]

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yamahopper said:

And if not for sure this ball catcher in the 3rd. Plus he has already had his complimentary knee injury.

I like both of those guys.

Thoughts on Toon, Hill, Streeter, Adams, and Wright?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
Im not sure Floyd is better but I think they are certainly closer on teams draft boards than the media eludes. I think that is what Mayock is suggesting as well.

I think Blackmon should be ranked between 10-15 and Floyd between 12-17. The difference is rather insignificant. Floyd is blessed with more natural ability. Just like you have Poe ranked highly based on his potential, the same case could be made for Floyd.

Also DR, you say you take into account what kind of WR the Rams need. Who would you say each player compares to? I think the Blackmon AQ comparison is fair. Im not sure thats the type of WR we need, although it would be nice to have.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
DR RAM said:
Yamahopper said:

I like both of those guys.

Thoughts on Toon, Hill, Streeter, Adams, and Wright?

I like Jones and Randle as well as Criner. All of them are solid prospects. McNutt is another guy to keep an eye on (he's my favorite in this class, as you all know).

Toon's a great prospect. Toon is a guy whose numbers would be higher in a more pass-oriented system. He's not fast, but he's got great hands and has enough route running skills to get separation.

Hill is a physical freak who has the most upside out of this class. I could really see him being the best out of all of them. Of course, he also has the lowest floor. Like Toon, Hill played in a run first offense. This offense, however, was a triple-option offense that almost never threw the ball, so his statistics are misleading.

Streeter's tall and fast for his size, but I wasn't impressed with his stats compared to the others in this class (didn't eclipse 1,000 yards or get to ten touchdowns, despite being the only redzone target to throw to), and he's a very poor route runner. He should have stayed in school to increase his stock.

Adams is purely a slot guy. He was a slot receiver at Arkansas, and if he's going to succeed in the NFL, he'll have to do the same thing. He has a lot of speed, but he's way too undersized to fight off a jam at the line of scrimmage (he's 179 lbs, by the way). Donnie Avery is what I see in him.

Wright is a totally different story than Adams. He's fast in pads, but also has the strength to beat the press. The only real weakness I see is that he's not six feet, but then again, Desean Jackson and Percy Harvin aren't six feet, and they've had a lot of success in the NFL with their speed.

This is an extremely deep class. I wouldn't be shocked to see us take a wideout in the third round instead of the first two.

Edit: Wait, do you mean Jarius Wright or Kendall Wright? My thoughts are on the latter. The former is a lot like Adams. Same school, around the same size. If I had to pick another slot guy, it would be T.Y. Hilton; he can at least return kicks and punts.