Mayock: Bryce Petty compares to Austin Davis

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You can say that Petty is missing the reading defenses or making multiple reads but I think that is a product of the offense he ran rather than his fault. Hundley ran a nfl style offense that requires reading defenses and making multiple reads and just isnt good at it. Ill take Petty every time over Hundley and I think Petty will prove to be the better nfl qb.

Petty is missing composure under pressure, blitz recognition, consistent accuracy, and the ability to fit the ball into tight windows as well as reading complex defenses and moving through progressions quickly. He has a lot of issues.

I don't really care that much who will be the better NFL QB. I don't see either as franchise QBs or long term starters.

But if you asked me to choose, I'd choose Hundley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2015/profiles/brett-hundley?id=2552588
Hundley's analysis sounds much more negative than Petty's
"Someone will draft him, but I don't think he will ever be a starter. He can't read coverages and struggles to process. It is going to take a few years before he looks like a backup in my opinion. He has a long way to go." -- AFC area scout

I've analyzed them both. Both are "tool" guys. Hundley has better tools imo.

And Petty has plenty of bad analysis on his side too...
TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline wrote that Baylor redshirt senior QB Bryce Petty "struggled to make scouts believe he offers legitimate NFL talent" at the Senior Bowl.

"Petty has proven that he's little more than a product of Baylor's high-octane passing offense and has struggled to make scouts believe he offers legitimate NFL talent," Pauline wrote. "He never distinguished himself above the group of mediocre quarterbacks on the North squad and finished his week of Senior Bowl practices by throwing a pair of interceptions on Thursday." Petty had a golden opportunity to overtake Brett Hundley as the perceived No. 3 QB at the Senior Bowl, but scouts and analysts walked away from his showing disappointed. It's fair to mention that Petty faced a steep degree of difficulty last week in transitioning from Baylor's no-huddle, spread offense to the pro-style formations used at the Senior Bowl.

Other issue is that you're citing the NFL.com scouting reports of Hundley and Petty but NFL.com actually rates Hundley higher...and compares him to Jason Campbell while comparing Petty to Austin Davis. Seems like flawed logic to me to point to that to say that Hundley is worse.

Regardless, I don't like either one where they're currently valued.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
You can say that Petty is missing the reading defenses or making multiple reads but I think that is a product of the offense he ran rather than his fault. Hundley ran a nfl style offense that requires reading defenses and making multiple reads and just isnt good at it. Ill take Petty every time over Hundley and I think Petty will prove to be the better nfl qb.
I am probably WAY OFF here, but I really don't consider what Hundley played under Mora in UCLA a pro style offense. I wouldn't even consider what Mora ran in ATL, with Vick, a pro style offense.
Hundley frustrates me when watching him. He does have nice tools to work with, but I just haven't seen him perform the way I would like on the field.

I liked what I saw of Petty as well. It hasn't been much however. Still unsure about him.

I saw the highlight vid of Grayson junkman posted. I wasn't impressed with it at all. I saw a guy throwing hot air balloon s to wr's slowing down and waiting for the ball. He looked more like Austin Davis to me than the Petty comparison.

Hundley appears to have the most upside of the 3, but all 3 look to be a long ways away from doing much, if anything, at the next level.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He must look horrible...Not that Davis looked horrible, but ya get where I'm going with this???