Maybe next year Ogletree to OLB??

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Assuming they can keep him, thinking he may be a better fit on the edge since he is better in space. He would not be the full-time edge rusher... but he would be a more athletic option then the Quinn/Barwin/Longacre types that are more DE types.

So he would drop in coverage nore, but i think he would be a better outside run defender. Then add a couple of inside thumper types.

Just a thought

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Meh. I need to see a LOT more from Mr. Ogletree before I consider locking him down. He needs to show he can do the job at ILB in this scheme or it's sayonara and go sign with a 4-3 team as OLB so we can get that round 3 pick compensation.

It's ILB or bust in this scheme IMO. If they felt he might cut it rushing the passer that would have happened by now.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
I agree @Merlin it looks like he's miscast in this D. I don't see a place he fits.
We need a thumper ILB, either in the draft or F/A -- who's going to be available that fits this D?? I think we need a replacement for Quinn too. Barwin as well. Maybe even a true NT, Brockers could be the guy but he's getting upfield too fast & not bull-dozing the pocket like a NT should in this scheme, leaving the C / OG to get to the 2nd level on run plays. I better stop.... here's hoping for a better showing Thursday night.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree @Merlin it looks like he's miscast in this D. I don't see a place he fits.
We need a thumper ILB, either in the draft or F/A -- who's going to be available that fits this D?? I think we need a replacement for Quinn too. Barwin as well. Maybe even a true NT, Brockers could be the guy but he's getting upfield too fast & not bull-dozing the pocket like a NT should in this scheme, leaving the C / OG to get to the 2nd level on run plays. I better stop.... here's hoping for a better showing Thursday night.
This is a good list, but there's no one recipe. Maybe each one of those guys could succeed in a Wade Phillips scheme, but the question is if they all can succeed in this scheme at the same time, because it's a team concept that depends on complementary factors. For example if you have a Von Miller that's gonna be the highlight reel homerun hitter, you need the no-name 6th round ILB Trevathan carrying the lunchpail to be there when Von strikes out.

So for this D, there's nothing wrong with Brockers penetrating -- it should be a great thing -- it's only a problem if we don't have the right complementary ILBs that have the skillset to fill the gaps left by that penetration. This was just game 2 with pretty much zero preseason time, so maybe they learn to play together as a team and complement each other, and focus on doing those things their teammates need them to do, before everyone has to go.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
This thread is depressing. Defense was our best side of the ball and a top one at that, and now we're talking about blowing it up? If that many players are affected by a regime change, maybe its not the players?

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Unless Tree takes less than Barron got, which is extremely doubtful, I'm thinking he won't be a Ram next year...unless he seriously ups his play.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I do expect Ogletree to improve in this scheme as the season goes on, because he's an all-in guy who leaves it all on the field and in spite of his stringbean type build he's very strong. So I don't want people thinking I'm too down on him based on my last post.

Last post was just about not paying dudes until they earn it. To include Ogletree. He had similar performances last year at MLB btw. Rams knew that going in, that he'd need to work at it and improve. I think he will. Just don't do the damn contract until he does it on the field, and if he doesn't, well, then you make that hard decision and let him walk.

HellRam

Starter
This thread is depressing. Defense was our best side of the ball and a top one at that, and now we're talking about blowing it up? If that many players are affected by a regime change, maybe its not the players?

It's hard to bet against Wade Phillips. But I agree, the defensive personnel was defitnely built for a 4-3. I've heard it mentioned that scheme wise, the D wasn't going to change that much up front. However from what I've seen, there is a noticeable difference.

Luckily for us Phillips has a good track record or I'd be more worried no doubt.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
However from what I've seen, there is a noticeable difference.

We knew going in the changes would primarily be on the LB position. DL didn't change all that much, at least with key dudes like Donald playing exactly the same technique.

I think we need to remember that Wade simplifies things for his guys. Their play last Sunday wasn't bad because they were confused, it was bad because they got their @$$es kicked. Wade can't do much about that other than sub some different guys in and push McVay to have some more padded practices for the next few weeks of preparation.

Niners gonna do the same thing, or try to. Let's wait and see how the Rams defense responds. I am pretty confident that Wade will get them back on track, as that's what he tends to do.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Rams have a much bigger problem with Mark Barron & his 2016 $45 million contract we still owe 39 mil. now that's a more important issue to deal with than Tree (at the moment). I would want a legit 34 Inside LB'er starting next to Tree to see what we have in him in this new 34 "D"!

The Rams may have bound/partnered Tree with SS/Weak OLB'er who is has look totally inept @ ILB'er next to him thus far. IF I had this problem & was responsible for this I would be working hard to find a better prepared & legit ILB'er to partner with Tree before throwing Tree under the bus.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Relax guys...it's a new scheme remember? Shit....4 days ago people around these parts were saying we had multiple Pro Bowlers in the front seven. I have faith that Wade will make the right adjustments. I think Tree is fine, just needs to learn the new system.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
He would be better off playing outside now. I really doubt they make an effort to resign him. Not really a fit and they need the cap other places.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
This is why I miss Forrest. He seemed a good option for the ILB post in this scheme. At least to rotate in on running downs when you need a big dude to clog a lane.

JIMERAMS

Pro Bowler
Name
Bill
sorry but the other LB has nothing to do with Tree missing tackles and taking bad angles. he looked worse than Barron Sunday. he actually gave up on some plays. Barron has nothing to do with Tree.

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
This is why I miss Forrest. He seemed a good option for the ILB post in this scheme. At least to rotate in on running downs when you need a big dude to clog a lane.

On September 2, 2017, Forrest was waived/injured by the Rams and placed on injured reserve. He was released on September 9, 2017 Forrest (knee) reached an injury settlement with the Rams on Saturday, Myles Simmons of the Rams' official site reports.

Forrest is now free to sign elsewhere if he is healthy enough to play. The 25-year-old was placed on injured reserve with a knee injury last year as well, but it's unclear how severe the injury is this time around.

HellRam

Starter
We knew going in the changes would primarily be on the LB position. DL didn't change all that much, at least with key dudes like Donald playing exactly the same technique.

I think we need to remember that Wade simplifies things for his guys. Their play last Sunday wasn't bad because they were confused, it was bad because they got their @$$es kicked. Wade can't do much about that other than sub some different guys in and push McVay to have some more padded practices for the next few weeks of preparation.

Niners gonna do the same thing, or try to. Let's wait and see how the Rams defense responds. I am pretty confident that Wade will get them back on track, as that's what he tends to do.

What worries me about a simplified D is our LB's ability and there strengths.

Barron is a former Safety.
Tree is a true 4-3 OLB.
Quinn is probably better at DE in a 4-3, well see on that one.
Barwin fits the position, he's just not as effective as he use to be.

Also I thought I seen Donald line up outside the Tackle more then usual this last game. I'm still watching the DLine closely, still looks different to me.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Olb in a 4-3 yes but he wouldn't fit too well in this 3-4 where the olb is usually blitzing or setting an edge . Ogletree can be very good at MLB in this defense but he needs to stay in his lane and read the play not just react. Him and barron are too aggressive and I'm sure wade will fix this .

This is usually the problem with very fast defenses ,once they get going it's hard to switch direction .