Maybe it's because I'm poor

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
But I look at these players getting 100million + contracts and just shake my head. 40 million wasn't enough? If winning was important, I feel like these players would say "hey, bring me in some more talent." If you can't live the rear of your life off of 40 million. Then you have never been poor. I've ate Raman Noodles and Party pizzas for dinner for a week before. Lol I would shoot my own brother for $40m. Lol (I don't really have a brother)

jjab360

Legend
Having enough money to survive on isn't really the point. The point is to get as much money as possible before you inevitably lose your physical talents and have to find income elsewhere. It's how the business goes.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Whilst i agree with the premise of what you are saying, are you telling me that if you were offered a $100 million contract, you would reject it, and tell them to offer you less?

It's all about the market. If you are (or feel you are) the best person at your position, but someone who isn't putting up the same numbers as you is getting paid 100 mil, you will want more than that. It's the same with every job. You want to be paid what you feel you are worth. And if you are outperforming someone, and they are getting paid more than you, you want to be compensated fairly, regardless of how much it is.

Mister Sin

Formally Known as Juggs
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Sin
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Don't get me wrong I would love $100m. But I don't wanna hear them bitch about not winning.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
El Juggernauto said:
Don't get me wrong I would love $100m. But I don't wanna hear them bitch about not winning.
100% agree with that, if a player is putting that sort of financial burden on their team, and they then whine about a lack of talent around them, or a lack of free agent signings: that's the kind of player that i have no respect for.
At the end of the day, if a player is making 1/5 of his teams total salary cap, that's being a bad team player, but the point is, sometimes these players don't care about winning. They just want to get as much money out of the game as possible, whilst they can. i.e Albert Haynesworth

jjab360

Legend
jsimcox said:
El Juggernauto said:
100% agree with that, if a player is putting that sort of financial burden on their team, and they then whine about a lack of talent around them, or a lack of free agent signings: that's the kind of player that i have no respect for.
At the end of the day, if a player is making 1/5 of his teams total salary cap, that's being a bad team player, but the point is, sometimes these players don't care about winning. They just want to get as much money out of the game as possible, whilst they can. i.e Albert Haynesworth
If a player is complaining to the media about a lack of talent around them, then that's not the kind of player I want on my team no matter how much money they're making.

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
jjab360 said:
jsimcox said:
El Juggernauto said:
If a player is complaining to the media about a lack of talent around them, then that's not the kind of player I want on my team no matter how much money they're making.
Again, i do agree with that, i don't want any player on my team complaining to the media about the talent around him. But when that's the case primarily due to that particular player having a crippling contract. That's worse IMO.

Look at Chris Johnson for example, he got a 6 year $56 million contract, and has then went on to complain publicly about his line for the past year. For me, that makes him look not only greedy, but stupid, and i have no respect for him because of it.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
jsimcox said:
jjab360 said:
jsimcox said:
El Juggernauto said:
Again, i do agree with that, i don't want any player on my team complaining to the media about the talent around him. But when that's the case primarily due to that particular player having a crippling contract. That's worse IMO.

Look at Chris Johnson for example, he got a 6 year $56 million contract, and has then went on to complain publicly about his line for the past year. For me, that makes him look not only greedy, but stupid, and i have no respect for him because of it.

Johnson held out for another contract before his rookie contract expired. Then he held out for his current contract after seeing another running back (believe it was DeAngelo Williams) get more. My respect for Johnson is below zero.

jjab360

Legend
Memento said:
jsimcox said:
jjab360 said:
jsimcox said:
El Juggernauto said:

Johnson held out for another contract before his rookie contract expired. Then he held out for his current contract after seeing another running back (believe it was DeAngelo Williams) get more. My respect for Johnson is below zero.
I think Chris Johnson just doesn't like going to Training Camp, lol.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
jsimcox said:
El Juggernauto said:
Why?

jsimcox

Pro Bowler
Name
Jamie
Because it doesn't allow the team much flexibility to improve. Just my opinion, but if one player takes up that high a proportion of the total salary cap, he is restricting what his team can do, in terms of their ability to sign other players.
If a player was all about being a team-centric guy, then he would care less about what he is being paid compared to other players, and more about what is going to help his team improve.
I'm not saying he takes minimum salary or anything like that, just that he should bear in mind how much room his team are going to have in future.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Instead of the NFL industry just continuing to grow at an astronomical pace... bigger and bigger dollars distributed to owners and players I wish there was a way to continue reasonable growth (through advertising and TV dollars) while controlling the costs for fans.

I mean... one could argue - the fans keep dishing out the money to attend games and buy gear, concessions etc. But the proportionate dollars the fans are putting out continues to grow (based on income) and more and more fans are seeing a transition from have's to have-nots.

Can a low income person attend a game anymore? What about middle income?

With the growing number of champagne sippers gobbling up seats inside the stadiums as part of their social status symbol, more and more average rabid fans are forced to watch at home.

When does the golden goose explode?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
The closer you are to revenue generation, the more you make (if you can negotiate). At a certain point, salary is no longer about affording essentials but job recognition. These two ideas cause some situations that are so disparate that they can be tragic, but are kinda essential to capitalism, IMO.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
I try not to pay attention...and I really don't care. Football for me is an escape path from reality. Nothing more.

Ram_of_Old

We are the fans and we pay for the tickets, the shirts, the mugs and other things that justify these ridiculous contracts. So where do we go from here?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Ram_of_Old said:
We are the fans and we pay for the tickets, the shirts, the mugs and other things that justify these ridiculous contracts. So where do we go from here?

I'm no economist, but I'd imagine that the tickets and the merch are a fraction of a percentage point of the real driver - which would be the advertising revenue for the TV networks which facilitate the deals between Fox, CBS, NBC, ESPN and the NFL.

So as long as we keep watching the games, and keep buying the widgets in the commercials of NFL games, the money will continue going somewhere. Either owners or players. Doesn't really matter to me how it's dispersed as long as they play, because I'm not gonna lie, I'm going to continue to watch games and buy stuff.