Maurice Alexander Ready for Training Camp/Latsch

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Alexander ready for training camp
By Nate Latsch

http://stl.scout.com/2/1426232.html

ST. LOUIS — There may not be any Rams player looking forward to the beginning of training camp on Friday afternoon more than rookie safety Maurice Alexander.
The St. Louis native missed all but one of the team’s OTA sessions because of a knee issue, which meant the fourth-round draft pick wasn’t able to get out on the field and show what he was capable of.

“It was very stressful,” Alexander said. “You just get in here and you’re trying to earn peoples’ trust and all those good things.”

The 6-foot-1, 220-pounder isn’t sure when he hurt his knee. He could still run on it, he said, but he noticed some swelling. There was a tear in there, but it was addressed quickly so he could be ready for camp.

Alexander spent most of the time from OTAs until rookies reported this week rehabbing, working out and getting as many mental reps as possible as he makes the transition from Utah State to the NFL.

That was something defensive coordinator Gregg Williams and the Rams’ head athletic trainer, Reggie Scott, stressed to the rookie and the 23 year old took to heart.

“Yeah. You need to get those mental reps,” Alexander said. “You have to get in that playbook. That’s one of those things Coach Williams and them stressed, and Reggie. You have to get those mental reps since I was injured. I did a pretty good job with that and Reggie stayed on me. I haven’t left here yet. Everybody’s on vacation. I was here.”

Here is also home, so it’s not like he was longing to leave St. Louis to go home and visit his family and friends elsewhere, like his teammates did.

Alexander grew up on the city’s south side and became a standout defensive lineman and linebacker at Eureka High School in the county — Sheldon Richardson of the New York Jets, Montee Ball of the Denver Broncos and T.J. Moe of the Rams also graduated from St. Louis area high schools the same year as Alexander — before heading off to junior college and then Utah State, where he emerged as an NFL prospect as a hard-hitting safety.

Alexander talked to reporters on Tuesday about growing up in St. Louis.

He’s only been up in the Arch once. Probably in middle school, he said.

He’s been to Six Flags, which isn’t far from Eureka High.

“I rode the Batman, the Boss,” he said. “All those good things.”

What about Mr. Freeze?

“Mr. Freeze is the one that goes backwards, right?” he asked. “I got on it one time. That’s it.”

Alexander’s history of growing up in the Gateway City also includes working on the cleaning crew at the Edward Jones Dome after Rams games.

Now he’s working toward a successful NFL career in his hometown.

He was relieved when he got the clearance from team doctors on Monday to be able to take the field and practice this week, beginning with the sessions for rookies on Tuesday and Wednesday and continuing with the official start of training camp on Friday afternoon.

“It’s a blessing,” Alexander said. “I’ve been waiting to get back out here. I didn’t know if they were going to clear me or not. I felt good. The docs, they know it all. Them clearing me is a blessing. I feel great.”

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Eureka native and fourth round draft pick Maurice Alexander is enjoying his first NFL trainin camp with his hometown St. Louis Rams. The safety, who played his college football at Utah State is hoping to stick with his hometown team and make the very young Rams secondary out of training camp.

Watch Alexander Interview At Training Camp

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Sounds good. I'm pulling for the kid. McLeod was terrible. We need safeties to stay deep, and come up making tackles with the occasional hard hits. Make a few plays. I like his skill set....(y)

tahoe

Pro Bowler
im rooting for him, he could be a big enforcer out there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your like a broken record.The knee looks like it could slow him down though.
He played with that broken wrist I believe.Tough kid.Wish him luck,but think he might need time.Then again The Rams are not afraid to start rookies.
I like McCloud as a Ram

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Here's hoping he turns out to be a McDonald clone like some have said. Two McDonald-type players with good length, range and big-hitting ability manning the middle of the secondary would be an excellent asset.