Maurice Alexander and his play

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
856375172.0.jpg

I've posted before that I'm a big fan of the 'homegrown' Rams players and of Maurice, but I've been crazy irritated by his play.
Take a look at this pic...

That shoulder looks pretty heavily wrapped, but I don't recall MA on any injury reports. Could this be what's caused him to not look for contact, not make an aggressive play on the ball (too many times), and take so many bad angles (yea, sorry MA, shoulder don't explain those). But if he's out there toughing it out, might that be cause for hope that he will get back to playing at last year's level? I hope so because he's been the biggest disappointment to me on the D. My very simple uninformed opinion of course.

ausmurp

Starter
Good points. I'm also thinking his role has changed enough in this new D that he's still adjusting. Or maybe he just doesn't fit the new D. Time will tell.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I mentioned in another thread that I think he's been terrible. I hate to sound harsh, especially with a new scheme, but his mistakes are anything but related to scheme! His angles are poor and his coverage recognition and awareness has been bad bad bad.

I think we have enough options on our team to allow him to walk next year. We could move Barron to SS and find an inside backer, or if he improves on his gap responsibility, we could promote Johnson to SS.

TexasRam

Legend
I mentioned in another thread that I think he's been terrible. I hate to sound harsh, especially with a new scheme, but his mistakes are anything but related to scheme! His angles are poor and his coverage recognition and awareness has been bad bad bad.

I think we have enough options on our team to allow him to walk next year. We could move Barron to SS and find an inside backer, or if he improves on his gap responsibility, we could promote Johnson to SS.

Agreed on Alexander. A true evaluation would be so Harsh that I have been avoiding it. But we aren't going anywhere if plays like we saw Sunday with the TE wide open for the TD, and wide open Running lanes with no safety in site, or safety completely juked keep occurring.

I don't like Barron at SS. He has always been destroyed when asked to cover past 10 yards. No recovery speed. I put in J Johnson at Alexanders spot and hope for the best. Barron is doing some nice things inside though he is not a long term solution at ILB due to his lack of size.

But yea, Alexander has little time to make a 180 or he will be eating pine.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
John Johnson continues to get more reps and it's only of matter of time before he takes over for Alexander and I believe the Rams will extend Joyner and be set at safety with J squared for quite some time.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Only real talent they have as a potential replacement is Johnson. If Mo doesn't start improving we'll see him bleed snaps and if things trend that way I just hope they can get the rook up to speed. Right now I still think Mo improving is the best possible option for us but yeah he's been pretty sorry. As has Davis, btw, big dropoff from Joyner.

This next draft is going to be HEAVY on back seven defenders. We need a good cover corner who hopefully has some length to him to replace Tru, a FS who can ballhawk, and for the love of F some ILBs.

And it could be argued that RLB is our biggest need, which would probably eat our round 1 pick if one's there. Big defensive draft comin up next IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and I believe the Rams will extend Joyner and be set at safety

Agreed on them extending Joyner, his flexibility is enormously valuable. But they still need to build some better fits on the DB depth chart. Depth is a problem for us, little bit too much dropoff as they get into it.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Agreed on them extending Joyner, his flexibility is enormously valuable. But they still need to build some better fits on the DB depth chart. Depth is a problem for us, little bit too much dropoff as they get into it.

IMO they will sign a CB next year and draft one high and one late and they will be Phillips type of CB's.

JRobinson

MiLB
Don't know if he's still adjusting or not. But quite frankly it doesn't matter because if he don't start improving, his job will be taken from him. I've seen him miss tackles and such; like most defenders do at times. But I've also seen him blow an assignment or two.

Better get it together.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Only real talent they have as a potential replacement is Johnson. If Mo doesn't start improving we'll see him bleed snaps and if things trend that way I just hope they can get the rook up to speed. Right now I still think Mo improving is the best possible option for us but yeah he's been pretty sorry. As has Davis, btw, big dropoff from Joyner.

This next draft is going to be HEAVY on back seven defenders. We need a good cover corner who hopefully has some length to him to replace Tru, a FS who can ballhawk, and for the love of F some ILBs.

And it could be argued that RLB is our biggest need, which would probably eat our round 1 pick if one's there. Big defensive draft comin up next IMO.

I'm beginning to think that ballhawking FS don't exist outside of Seattle and K.C.

And why do you think we won't sign Tru?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
There have been a lot of missed tackles from the guys at the back and it's been totally frustrating, the last few years that's one thing you could guarantee is that the Rams D hit hard - I hope its just an adjustment thing, and we're getting it together, but we will find it difficult moving forward if our D doesn't improve - I've been frustrated mainly with Tree if I'm honest.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beginning to think that ballhawking FS don't exist outside of Seattle and K.C.

And why do you think we won't sign Tru?

Because Tru is a #2 CB who thinks he's a #1 CB. He has priced himself out of horns.

FS we have a guy who might develop into a true ballhawk type in Joyner, but he's small and him getting dinged up have me worried about the depth. They're hard to find, though, no doubt.

A55VA6

Legend
John Johnson coming for dat ass. The rookie is getting better and better each time he touches the field.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
John Johnson coming for dat ass. The rookie is getting better and better each time he touches the field.

Yea and I remember a lot of people complaining when the Rams drafted him. Well I don't think they were complaining about the pick after the Dallas game.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Yea and I remember a lot of people complaining when the Rams drafted him. Well I don't think they were complaining about the pick after the Dallas game.
I wanted a lot of other players over him and didnt know hardly anything about him and thought we didnt need him. Am very glad to be wrong and that they took him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
his mistakes are anything but related to scheme! His angles are poor and his coverage recognition and awareness has been bad bad bad.

Dude doesn't wanna hit....and can't cover....I mean....I don't know why he's still out there...I saw he was removed from the game often....on passing downs....and with the way he tackles, he needs to come out on running downs. Cody remains unable to tackle RB's that come right at him...downhill...Ole'

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Dude doesn't wanna hit....and can't cover....I mean....I don't know why he's still out there...I saw he was removed from the game often....on passing downs....and with the way he tackles, he needs to come out on running downs. Cody remains unable to tackle RB's that come right at him...downhill...Ole'

If he doesn't show improvement soon they should trade him to Cleveland. He seemed to be much better in Williams' scheme, where he looked to have a future.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I honestly think that he's hurt or something. I wouldn't mind bringing him back on a one year contract. I mean, the kid can play both safety positions. He'd be an excellent backup safety.

jacktheripper85

Starter
There have been a lot of missed tackles from the guys at the back and it's been totally frustrating, the last few years that's one thing you could guarantee is that the Rams D hit hard - I hope its just an adjustment thing, and we're getting it together, but we will find it difficult moving forward if our D doesn't improve - I've been frustrated mainly with Tree if I'm honest.

Ditto on Tree. Watched the whole game again last night and didn't see him lower the shoulder and hit a guy below the pads once. All arm tackle attempts around the shoulder pads. Guy has freaky talent but if he's afraid to hit might as well have Laurenitis back there. I wonder if this CTE stuff is starting to spook a lot of these guys and that's why you see such poor tackling around the league.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Mo Alexander has been a Ram starting safety since gm #10 back in 2015, when TJ McDonald got injured & went to the IR.Mo finished the 2015 season with 5 starts & played major roles in 14 of the 16 games that season. His performance in the SS post was good for a 2nd yr player.

In 2016 Mo won the high safety post as the starter & started 14 games there & received high recognition's from many. So its not like he is an inexperienced safety we are discussing. But this 2017 season has been bad for Mo from the start.

Back on Jun 19, 2017 Mo came up injured (Hip).
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-mo-alexander-nursing-hip-injury/

Then when TC opened up on 7/29/2017 on the non-football injury list,Hip.
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-mo-alexander-opens-camp-on-nfi-list/

Then on Sep 13, 2017 the Rams listed Mo in dealing with a shoulder injury.
http://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...s-washington-redskins-injury-report-practice/
https://www.cbssports.com/fantasy/football/news/rams-mo-alexander-dealing-with-shoulder-injury/

In the Dallas game Mo did not have a single tackle but did manage to help out on a few assists But it was the poor pass coverage that stood out more than his MIA in run support. Not what you would expect from this ex LB'er in college.

One issue could be that shoulder is worse than time can fix, just ask Rodger Saffold about that. Could be Mo is trying to work through this injury & see if he can play effective enough to keep from going to the IR & surgery. Sometime things like this go on. If Mo is unable to preform the duties as we observed last Sunday then maybe Mo has bought enough time so rookie JJ is ready to take over in wk 5 or wk 6?? It would also indicate the Rams have no faith in the reserve strong safety Marqui Christian @ the moment & there is a reason for that too.

In pre season we saw Isaiah Johnson & John Johnson getting a ton of work in the strong safety post. Both looked good JJ looked faster & better in coverage but a bit light in his tackling.....speed bump up to wk 4 & we see a large improvement in JJ's tackling. I know many have issues with stats when I bring them out so I mentioned it but when our 4 yr safety MO could not muster not one tackle our 3rd string high safety got FOUR (4) in a reserve role. Now that one stat tells me something.;)

Last edited: