Matt Stafford doesn't want to work with QB guru

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap20...hew-stafford-doesnt-want-to-work-with-qb-guru

Matthew Stafford is happy to be guru-free.

Asked this week if he'd be willing to work with a passing coach this offseason, the Detroit Lions quarterback shot the idea to the floor.

"Probably not," Stafford said, per Justin Rogers of MLive.com. "It's not something that I feel would be my style or beneficial to me."

Legions of NFL passers have toiled with coaches-for-hire like Steve Clarkson and George Whitfield to improve their play in between campaigns. Stafford, to the naked eye, appears ripe for tutoring after another season sideswiped by questionable mechanics and a 52.5 completion rate over his past seven starts.

Stafford heads into Sunday's regular-season finale against the Minnesota Vikings with 19 interceptions, one short from the career-worst 20 he tossed during his 2009 rookie campaign. Lions coach Jim Schwartz has repeatedly -- and maddeningly -- come to his quarterback's defense, insisting that Stafford's mechanics are clean. Too much game film suggests otherwise.

Stafford has piled up passing yardage again this season, but his recent starts have been hampered by sloppy throws. Multiple picks in four of his last five games have contributed to the Lions tumbling out of the NFC playoff picture.

With immense physical talents, Stafford looms as a player who could take the next step with proper coaching. He's not in a prime position to be turning down help from the masters.

The latest "Around The League Podcast" delivered a Christmas gift, analyzing the chaotic playoff picture in both conferences.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Steve Clarkson is really good at what he does. Stafford would be wise to seek out someone like him.
And that's why he won't.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Steve Clarkson is really good at what he does. Stafford would be wise to seek out someone like him.
And that's why he won't.

That's exactly why I put this topic up... Why would he pass up on the help?

"It's not something I feel would be my style or beneficial to me"... WTH does that mean?

I guess once you sign your 2nd big contract you got it all figured out.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
Stafford is a guy with talent, but he's had the benefit of throwing it to Megatron. Talk about being spoiled. I would only imagine what Bradford could do with a WR like that.

V3

Hall of Fame
Why wouldn't he get help if it was offered? What's the harm? That's what I don't get about these players. A different pair or eyes at worst will do nothing and at best make him a Pro Bowler. If you give me an investment that says at worst I'll break even and at best I'll make lots of money, I'm making that investment. :slap:

RAM$

UDFA
I can see where he's coming from though, he has so many different deliveries. He probably thinks a qb guru would try and change what he has been doing his whole life, although those side arm throws aren't very accurate from the games Iv'e seen of him.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Linehan has spoiled the kid with his too laid back style IMO

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
He probably doesn't want someone to tell him he's got to tone it down a little. He's a gunslinger and gambling a bunch works for him. Unfortunately, it also works against him, and these type of QB's rarely win it all. Brett Favre did it, but he also blew a bunch of chances.
I think this type of guy has absolute confidence in his own ability to make EVERY throw EVERY time, and that gets them into trouble, because nobody can. That same confidence is what leads them to think they don't need any help. My two cents...

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
He probably doesn't want someone to tell him he's got to tone it down a little. He's a gunslinger and gambling a bunch works for him. Unfortunately, it also works against him, and these type of QB's rarely win it all. Brett Favre did it, but he also blew a bunch of chances.
I think this type of guy has absolute confidence in his own ability to make EVERY throw EVERY time, and that gets them into trouble, because nobody can. That same confidence is what leads them to think they don't need any help. My two cents...

Yeah he either has to be humbled by a taskmaster who says "if you want to play " or have someone come in and just blow him away with all he doesnt know,regardless IMO the next coach will have a come to Jesus meeting with him and Houston might trade for him,cuz they think that team's read and just needs the right QB, maybe it' GOES DOWN LIKE THIS TRADE FIRSTS AND STAFFORD GOES TO HOUSTON

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I can see where he's coming from though, he has so many different deliveries. He probably thinks a qb guru would try and change what he has been doing his whole life, although those side arm throws aren't very accurate from the games Iv'e seen of him.

With all the bad throws and pics he's making someone needs to at least look at his mechanics Thats for sure.

moklerman

Warner-phile
I recall Warner having to deal with REALLY changing his approach to QB'ing when Whisenhunt and Haley came along. He was willing to do what it took to fix his problems. Gotta give him credit for that. I don't think Stafford's at a point where he thinks there is a problem. Which I can understand. Admitting there's a problem is thinking less of your ability and a QB can't have those thoughts.

You have to think you're the best and that what you're doing is the right way but at the same time, continue to try and get better.

RFIP

Stafford is on the fast track to Eliville, without and trophies to show for it. And as Calvin starts breaking down more and more Matt's decent will increase.

Best thing to happen to him and the Lions would be to hire a defensive guy like Lovie Smith who will make Stafford more accountable and less reckless and introduce the Lions with a foreign concept; The running game. :rofl:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Stafford is on the fast track to Eliville, without and trophies to show for it. And as Calvin starts breaking down more and more Matt's decent will increase.

Best thing to happen to him and the Lions would be to hire a defensive guy like Lovie Smith who will make Stafford more accountable and less reckless and introduce the Lions with a foreign concept; The running game. :rofl:

Hard to argue with this.

Kurt Warner rags on Stafford quite a bit for his loose attributes. Another example of someone "who knows better" than Stafford but he won't benefit from because it's not his style... Lol Detroit.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
That's exactly why I put this topic up... Why would he pass up on the help?

"It's not something I feel would be my style or beneficial to me"... WTH does that mean?

I guess once you sign your 2nd big contract you got it all figured out.

It means he thinks he's pig headed.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
It means he thinks he's pig headed.

pig-head-lifesize-resin-replica-taxidermy-image_4.jpg

RFIP

If he got to where he is without using a guru, why would he assume that using one is guaranteed to improve his game?

Better question; Where is he?

The guy is caught up in a world of FF, as a "reality" football QB he's a mess.