Matt Skura, Oday Aboushi and Ty Nsekhe stepped up when called into action

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
If there's a strength with our OL, I think it's quantity. We seem to have a lot of potentials. One or two of these guys might actually pan out (Anchrum? etc.). I still agree with Dang we need to make whatever sacrifices necessary to get a known-quantity vet into our interior this off. What we owe to Stafford, we owe ourselves; we need a legit run threat.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I definitely agree other than we've never seen Noteboom stay healthy for very long or look decent at any other position other than left tackle.
And then there's the price.

I definitely see Shelton as an upgrade at Center, particularly in the run game.
Skura would be the perfect off the bench game day active because he can play so many different positions successfully and again brings that vet attitude that the other players are already confident in.

I noticed that you didn't include Oday Aboushi in our plans.
He did seem to underperform and vet minimum for him could be pretty expensive.

I was actually impressed with Nsheke's first go round with the Rams based on coaches comments but was surprised he was still around.

He and Alaric should be solid at left tackle.
The Rams are stuck with a negative Joe Noteboom salary issue for the season of 2023. The remedy for this issue will have to wait until the 2024 Draft when it might be possible for Snead to utilize him with trade fodder for any ultra-hard-up LT team.

Most will believe that I am throwing :crap:unfairly on Noteboom but he has 5 sacks in only 325 snaps. Compare that with Ty Ksekhe with 423 snaps with only 3 sacks. All of Noteboom snaps took place for a long time starting OG Edwards. Ty who was on the streets started next to Evans/Skura.

I believe the Rams Org will offer 25 yr old RFA OG Chandler Brewer a contract when the new year begins. Why?

#1- A homegrown & groomed UDFA.
#2- A young very large size OG being just under 6-6 @ over 320lbs.

#3- Has lined up in pre-seasons & Regular seasons @ FOUR of the 5 OL positions.
#4- Brewer is a young 25 yrs old who has been working with the McVay offense since 2019.
#5- Has shown great determination & perseverance while continuing to play football while undergoing life-threatening cancer treatment (Chemo) senior yr in college.
#6- Has lurked in limbo for many years on the Practice Squad after starting 52 gms (@ OG & OT) for Middle Tennessee State.
#7- Once finally returned back to NFL playing condition in 2022 after taking a season off due to covid & started the second half of the season @ OG. During those 4 gms, Brewer allowed ZERO sacks & played & finished 1 gm with a Grade Three MCL.:wow2:
#8- Once Brewer returned from that knee injury he started in Weeks #17 and #18 & helped running back Cam Akers close out the season with three-straight games of 100 or more rushing yards.
#9- Brewer will be a Restricted FA in March & Snead has already shown he is willing to offer RFA's OL'ers more than 1 yr contracts .....example, Coleman Shelton.

Ref. UFA OG Aboushi, would be a good cheap veteran OG to have around but the Rams might have enough OG's under contract before the draft:

Alaric Jackson (coming off IR)
Chandler Brewer (coming off IR) RFA
Logan Bruss (Coming off IR)
Tremayne Anchrum (coming off IR)
Coleman Shelton
Zac Thomas

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Chandler Brewer proved dependable at guard | Free Agent Spotlight​

Feb 03, 2023 /Stu Jackson

When Rams head coach Sean McVay was asked about the team's up-and-down 2022 season in mid-November, he said that one of the important things was looking for the small victories.

One of McVay's examples? The toughness showed by offensive lineman Chandler Brewer prior to Brewer going on Injured Reserve with a knee injury.

"I look at Chandler Brewer the last couple weeks," McVay said on Nov. 16. "It's so unfortunate that he has a Grade Three MCL. But if you say, looking at how well he played in those two games, and the toughness that he exuded, and the confidence that he can take from that experience game, that's a small victory."

Brewer rebounded from that knee injury and returned in late December, helping provide continuity toward the end of the season on an offensive line decimated by injuries. Now, he is scheduled to become a restricted free agent when the new league year begins on March 15.

So, what's next for Brewer and the Rams?
As discussed in the previous Free Agent Spotlight, that's primarily dictated by what restricted free agency entails.

Teams can place various one-year tenders with draft compensation and/or right of first refusal attached on a restricted free agent, but even when tendered, that player can still negotiate with another team. If the player signs an offer sheet from another team and his original team declines to match it, the original team is entitled to the corresponding draft compensation, unless it is a right of first refusal tender only.

The deadline for placing those tenders is prior to 1 p.m. pacific time March 15 – the start of the new league year. If a team withdraws that qualifying offer, the player becomes an unrestricted free agent. If it does extend one of those qualifying offers, the player has until April 21 this year to sign an offer sheet, while his original team has until April 26 to exercise right of first refusal.

Thus, one option is for L.A. to tender Brewer, who began the season on the practice squad then capitalized on the playing time he received after being moved to the active roster. Upon returning from injury, he was part of the starting offensive line combination in Weeks 17 and 18 that helped running back Cam Akers close out the season with three-straight games of 100 or more rushing yards.

If the Rams decide to go in a different direction and not bring back Brewer, Alaric Jackson could be a potential internal replacement, who has experience at both guard (four starts) and tackle (one start). Another internal option could be Logan Bruss, who competed with Coleman Shelton for the starting right guard job in training camp but saw his rookie year end prematurely with a torn ACL sustained in the preseason. As is the case with any position, Los Angeles could also opt to go the external route and find a replacement via free agency or the draft.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
It looks like Aleric Jackson's blood clot issue is under control, Chandler Brewer has recovered from knee surgery and played well the last two games. Also T Anchrum is projected to be fully recovered from a fractured fibula and be ready for 2023 TC in late July. These guys will no doubt be competing for starting positions on the OL. Personally I see all three as starters. Jackson at LT, and Brewer and Anchrum at G. Anchrum has yet to prove himself in regular games, but did very well in TC and preseason last year.
I think the OL will be fine. I don't think Noteboom will be back in time for TC and the start of the season. Edwards will be gone, Bruss needs another year ad redshirt, Ty Nehke should be signed as a backup
Most importantly, I hope the Rams try and get bigger at C. Allen is too oft injured and Shelton who is under 300lbs is too light. Either through FA or draft.
Rams OL has not controlled the LOS in the last two years, not even close. They need to get bigger, starting with center.

John schmitz Minn, 6'4" 308, Rickey Stromberg Ark., 6'4" 315 should both be available and an upgrade at C for the Rams.

Still waiting on a new OL coach.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It looks like Aleric Jackson's blood clot issue is under control, Chandler Brewer has recovered from knee surgery and played well the last two games. Also T Anchrum is projected to be fully recovered from a fractured fibula and be ready for 2023 TC in late July. These guys will no doubt be competing for starting positions on the OL. Personally I see all three as starters. Jackson at LT, and Brewer and Anchrum at G. Anchrum has yet to prove himself in regular games, but did very well in TC and preseason last year.
I think the OL will be fine. I don't think Noteboom will be back in time for TC and the start of the season. Edwards will be gone, Bruss needs another year ad redshirt, Ty Nehke should be signed as a backup
Most importantly, I hope the Rams try and get bigger at C. Allen is too oft injured and Shelton who is under 300lbs is too light. Either through FA or draft.
Rams OL has not controlled the LOS in the last two years, not even close. They need to get bigger, starting with center.

John schmitz Minn, 6'4" 308, Rickey Stromberg Ark., 6'4" 315 should both be available and an upgrade at C for the Rams.

Will see how the prediction goes.Don’t see any it like that at all.Not going to go out of my way figuring out this far out.Like you said,no Offensive Line coach even.
The draft - is it a Centers draft? Just sucks this wasn’t addressed the season before Brian Allen became a FA.Austin Blythe was that Twinner C/G. I liked Lance Dickerson & Humpries.Don’t know if Dickerson jacked his shoulder up,but if you like O”Line play(WOW) both players are in the Superbowl.

LG 69 Philly - Dickerson
C 52 KC - Creed Humphrey

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

Do you have a link to an update on Jackson’s blood clot issue? I have not seen anything about it.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Was mentioned on a recent athletic podcast. Also a recent tweet by Jackson. Sounded like it was nothing to be too concerned about, but who knows, TC is still months away.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I sorta got the idea from when Alaric Jackson was tweeting that it indicated that he was not concerned about his future in the NFL or the next upcoming season as a starter in this Ram OL.

Veteran Center Matt Skura size is far from being considered small when you are 6-3 315 lbs. MS was forced to start 12 gms & finish two others @ LG for 466 snaps, it should be remembered that MS was a center in college & was for the most part of his NFL career.

I wonder how MS would perform if he was moved back into his best playing position @ center for his 7th season if he was resigned by the Rams??? he certainly has the size most are hoping for & this would be a good pairing with Coleman Shelton.

Could the Rams get improvement if the OL ends up close to the below:
LT-Jackson/ Nsekhe/ Noteboom
LG-Brewer/ Thomas/ 3rd day Drafted pick
OC-Shelton/ Skura/ 2nd day Drafted pick
RG-Anchrum/ Bruss
RT-Havenstein/ Arcuri/ Pircher

Last edited:

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
The Rams are stuck with a negative Joe Noteboom salary issue for the season of 2023. The remedy for this issue will have to wait until the 2024 Draft when it might be possible for Snead to utilize him with trade fodder for any ultra-hard-up LT team.

Most will believe that I am throwing :crap:unfairly on Noteboom but he has 5 sacks in only 325 snaps. Compare that with Ty Ksekhe with 423 snaps with only 3 sacks. All of Noteboom snaps took place for a long time starting OG Edwards. Ty who was on the streets started next to Evans/Skura.

I believe the Rams Org will offer 25 yr old RFA OG Chandler Brewer a contract when the new year begins. Why?

#1- A homegrown & groomed UDFA.
#2- A young very large size OG being just under 6-6 @ over 320lbs.

#3- Has lined up in pre-seasons & Regular seasons @ FOUR of the 5 OL positions.
#4- Brewer is a young 25 yrs old who has been working with the McVay offense since 2019.
#5- Has shown great determination & perseverance while continuing to play football while undergoing life-threatening cancer treatment (Chemo) senior yr in college.
#6- Has lurked in limbo for many years on the Practice Squad after starting 52 gms (@ OG & OT) for Middle Tennessee State.
#7- Once finally returned back to NFL playing condition in 2022 after taking a season off due to covid & started the second half of the season @ OG. During those 4 gms, Brewer allowed ZERO sacks & played & finished 1 gm with a Grade Three MCL.:wow2:
#8- Once Brewer returned from that knee injury he started in Weeks #17 and #18 & helped running back Cam Akers close out the season with three-straight games of 100 or more rushing yards.
#9- Brewer will be a Restricted FA in March & Snead has already shown he is willing to offer RFA's OL'ers more than 1 yr contracts .....example, Coleman Shelton.

Ref. UFA OG Aboushi, would be a good cheap veteran OG to have around but the Rams might have enough OG's under contract before the draft:

Alaric Jackson (coming off IR)
Chandler Brewer (coming off IR) RFA
Logan Bruss (Coming off IR)
Tremayne Anchrum (coming off IR)
Coleman Shelton
Zac Thomas
I'm a big Brewer fan now.

I figured there was a reason they were keeping him around, I just had to see it to believe it totally.