Matt LaFleur interviewed for Titans HC job/Mike Vrabel hired instead

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
I’m not sure if it would be considered a lateral move, or not. But I will be surprised if he goes there to be OC.

One year as coordinator, when your head coach really does the bulk of the heavy work may be a recipe for disaster. Lefleur may want to build confidence and experience for a couple more years first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well if he was going to allow LaFleur to call plays next season then no. But if he isn’t, and Tennessee is giving him complete control, that seems like a promotion to me

In terms of title, it's not a promotion. We'll see what happens.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Well if he was going to allow LaFleur to call plays next season then no. But if he isn’t, and Tennessee is giving him complete control, that seems like a promotion to me

also have to consider he has been there one year.... he almost owes McVay more than one year to take a lateral move

Name
Rod
I think we have a fantastic coach, yet it still amazes me how people in the NFL are so quick to jump on the bandwagon. After all McVay has only been here 1 year. Let's see how the Rams do next year before we get too carried away. I still think McVay's main asset is his tremendous "football intelligence". This guy seems to be brilliant.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't know what LaFleur did for us last year. McVay called the plays and why would we want to let LaFleur do it this year for his benefit? I want the Rams to win and could give a rip about LaFleur getting a shot to call plays when our HC's strength is designing and calling plays? With McVay, OC isn't that important of a coaching position, IMO.

Last edited:

Farr Be It

Hall of Fame
The more I think about it, the more foolish I think it would be for Lefluer. It would kind of send a message: Hey here is the guy responsible for the Rams offensive turnaround.

A bit of a slap in the face to McVay. And a “too big for his britches” move for Lefluer.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I really don't know what LaFleur did for us last year. McVay called the plays and why would we want to let LaFleur do it this year for his benefit? I want the Rams to win and could give a rip about LaFleur getting a shot to call plays when our HC's strength is designing and calling plays? With McVay, OC isn't that important of a coaching position, IMO.

I think LaFleur is a valuable guy to have, but if he walks, I think McVay will be able to replace him with another guy who is quite good at working with QBs.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think LaFleur is a valuable guy to have, but if he walks, I think McVay will be able to replace him with another guy who is quite good at working with QBs.
What does he do? Organize practices?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Interesting thought tbh. Not to mention that McVay knows damn well LaFleur won't get any cred up until he calls the plays, if then. Being under the shadow of the expert on the same side of the ball can slow the respect side of things.

McVay's a good dude and all, so I'd have to think he considers it. Might leave it up to LaFleur, who btw might not want to go to Tennessee. It isn't like Mariota hasn't had good offensive staff behind him, after all...

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
LaFleur was Ryan's' QB coach in Atlanta and I believe he has really been helping coach up Goff.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure he does everything that any other OC does except for calling plays. And I bet he works a lot with Goff.
Yeah... McVay may design and call the plays... but someone has to coach these players up.. technique... discipline... I think that's where their value comes in.

Can others do the same? I'm sure... but McVay would have to find such coaches.

He built this staff and it worked out very well... I'll have to have faith he can find good replacements.