Matt Kalil "set to return" to USC

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
by Rob Rang

Southern California left tackle Matt Kalil is "set to return" for his senior season according to a source close to the situation.

Kalil, 6-6 and 295 pounds, just finished his second season as the Trojans' starting left tackle. He earned First Team All Pac-12 honors and is currently rated by NFLDraftScout.com as the No. 3 overall prospect in the country. Though his older brother, Ryan, returned for his senior campaign at USC prior to the center being drafted in the second round of the 2007 draft by the Carolina Panthers, most expected Matt to leave early.

A high-ranking NFL scout confirmed that he'd also heard Kalil was "definitely leaning towards returning" and that the decision surprised he and his scouting peers, as well.

"If he does indeed return, it would be a bit surprising. He's the top offensive tackle in the country. The senior class [at offensive tackle] is a weak group. At worst, he'd be looking at a top ten pick. That fact alone would send most guys into the draft."

Kalil's remarkable combination of size and athleticism had kept the Dallas Cowboys' 2011 first round pick Tyron Smith playing on the right side during his career with the Trojans. That didn't keep Jerry Jones and his staff from selecting Smith with the No. 9 overall pick. Smith, incidentally, has performed well this season as the Cowboys' starting right tackle.

Kalil has long been projected to enter the 2012 draft. Chad Reuter and I have each projected him as a potential top five pick in our current first round mock drafts.

Should Kalil return, it could set off of chain reaction pushing other talented USC underclassmen -- including quarterback Matt Barkley -- to shun the NFL and return for their senior seasons. The Trojans' bowl ban ends this year. Considering the talent this team has potentially coming back, a return to national title contention would appear possible.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/13682485/33752962" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entr ... 5/33752962</a>

Ugh. This could be bad news for us and any other teams fans that like Barkley. If this happens we should probably be setting our sights on Blackmon or trading down.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I should also add that there are some draftniks/analysts skeptical over this report, and things could easily change. I think this will just make people realize that Kalil and Barkley returning to USC is a definite possibility so they can graduate and have the opportunity to play in a bowl game.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Oof.

I guess the decision to stay in school and be the BMOC is a little more tempting now that there's a cap on your fortunes when entering in the NFL. This could get weird now if the Rams sit at #2.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
X said:
Oof.

I guess the decision to stay in school and be the BMOC is a little more tempting now that there's a cap on your fortunes when entering in the NFL. This could get weird now if the Rams sit at #2.

Yeah this could really change things for us. Only way I see us getting at OT in the 1st round is if we trade down. If we dont trade down we could be looking at Blackmon or Claiborne. The Vikings are also in a very similar position to us because they have pretty much the same top needs as us (OT, CB, WR).

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
...Fuck.

:evil:

bluecoconuts

Legend
Yamahopper said:
If he does stay in school a weak draft just got anemic.

Barkley did apply to get a draft projection a few days ago, so there's hope that it's all just speculation/hope from USC fans that he is going to come back.

We have to wait and see, but that would suck if he does stay in school, because I don't think we'll be in position to draft him next year.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
Yamahopper said:
If he does stay in school a weak draft just got anemic.

Barkley did apply to get a draft projection a few days ago, so there's hope that it's all just speculation/hope from USC fans that he is going to come back.

We have to wait and see, but that would suck if he does stay in school, because I don't think we'll be in position to draft him next year.

Good.