Matt Daniels Shined in Return

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

biggame1190

Starter
Name
CB
While Rodney McCleod and even Cody Davis are getting a lot of fans attention (And both are playing well BTW: no pun), Matt Daniels returned to live game action Saturday and looked very good out there.

Upon re-watching bits and pieces of the game I keyed in on #37 Matt Daniels. He displayed good disapline on play action, coverage, wrap-up and drive tackling ability and he took away some of the QBs options this past weekend. Daniels played all over the field with the 2nd unit defense, deep single Safety, rover LB, and box safety, etc.

Very excited to see Matt the Hat continue to develop and I hope he makes the squad again. Been a fan ever since I watched his play with Duke just before and after the draft last year. The coaching staff obviously likes him, this shows because they patiently waited for his recovery from the injury and than did not hesitate to move him right back with the 2nd unit Safeties in camp.

While this Safety tandem we have is very young and raw, I see talent and potential in almost all our guys and I think the one or two who do not make the team will have no issue catching on another roster. I think McCleod is a lock because of his ability to play gunner on PR coverage and his versatility to play slot CB if needed (not to mention his solid play at both Safety spots). Davis and Hall have both impressed me during times in the first two preseason games and I think one of them will be practice squad'd while the other makes the final spot (assuming we keep 5 safeties again). Giordano has no chance and obviously im rooting for Daniels to be one of those 5 (to go along with Stew and McDonald obviously).

But yea, excited to see more of Daniels. He is a bigger cat at 215 pounds who IMO shows good movement and instincts in coverage.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Been waiting on Matt the hat to return too. I liked what I saw of him on video while at Duke. Really good demeanor and understanding of football to go along with his hard-hitting style. Unfortunately, it might take another year before we have a couple of viable starters back there. Steep learning curve this year.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I think the jury is still out on Daniels... but the outlook is positive.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I was also impressed with Daniels in this game. I really hope he makes the team; we could use his sure tackling.

Darian Stewart might actually have trouble making the team if McLeod, Davis, Daniels, and Pointer keep playing the way they're playing.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Memento said:
I was also impressed with Daniels in this game. I really hope he makes the team; we could use his sure tackling.

Darian Stewart might actually have trouble making the team if McLeod, Davis, Daniels, and Pointer keep playing the way they're playing.
Let me give you another name of a guy that seems to always be in the right place...Rashard Hall. He has impressed me too.

Memphis Ram

Legend
I really wish that safety position was a open competition. Now it may be for all we know, but it sure seems like Stewart and McDonald were just given the starting spots back there and both scare me.

From what I've seen, McDonald REALLY seems to struggle to break down and make open field tackles if the player doesn't run in a straight line. And Stewart couldn't even beat out Dahl last year.

HE WITH HORNS

Hall of Fame
I'm thinking we need to keep 5 safeties for sure, especially with Stewarts injury problems, and all the young guys we have. I think we have 5 good backup safeties right now. Quality starters, none at this point.

albefree69

Hall of Fame
Name
Alan
HE WITH HORNS vocalizing my fears:
I think we have 5 good backup safeties right now. Quality starters, none at this point.
I think you're right about this. I'm still hopeful that I was wrong about McDonald and he really steps up. He hasn't looked that good in the games but I think he's had some very good practices.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memphis Ram said:
I really wish that safety position was a open competition. Now it may be for all we know, but it sure seems like Stewart and McDonald were just given the starting spots back there and both scare me.

From what I've seen, McDonald REALLY seems to struggle to break down and make open field tackles if the player doesn't run in a straight line. And Stewart couldn't even beat out Dahl last year.

Ouch!

nighttrain

Legend
CGI_Ram said:
Memphis Ram said:

Ouch!
From several accounts Davis is playing very well, wraps up his tackles and with his 4.4 speed closes best of class
train