Mason makes Rams debut as rookies get more of a chance --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

Mason makes Rams debut as rookies get more of a chance

• By Joe Lyons

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_cc4b1937-d230-5471-9350-ce8b6b81d8b6.html

After spending the first three games and the bye week waiting, Rams running back Tre Mason got his chance Monday night in the team’s 31-17 loss to San Francisco at the Edward Jones Dome.

“It was good to be out there and get my feet wet,’’ the third-round draft pick said after making his NFL debut. “I really think that having to wait my turn, having to sit and watch, really made me that much hungrier.’’

Mason was a Heisman Trophy candidate at Auburn last fall after scoring 24 touchdowns and rushing for 1,813 yards to break Bo Jackson’s single-season school rushing record. But like most rookies, he had to go through a transition period while learning the finer points of NFL football. Through the learning process, he worked to stay upbeat.

“God has a plan and I live by that,’’ the 21-year-old said. “That’s how I was raised. All I could do was try to keep working to make sure I was ready for this opportunity. Patience is a virtue.’’

And Mason’s patience paid off Monday night. He led the Rams in rushing, with 40 yards in eight carries — including a 24-yard run in the first quarter that helped set up a 22-yard touchdown pass from Austin Davis to Lance Kendricks that put the Rams on top 14-0.

Mason also had a 12-yard pass reception.

He was thrilled to get a chance to play but said the experience was bittersweet.

“I’m happy with the way I played, but at the same time, I know there are things I need to do better,’’ he said. “And honestly, when you don’t win the game, it’s hard to feel too good about your individual performance.

“Again tonight, we showed at times that we’re a good football team, a team that can compete. But we just need to come together as a team and learn how to finish off games..”

Mason was one of several Rams rookies to make considerable impact in Monday’s game. First-round picks Greg Robinson and Aaron Donald made their first pro starts — at left guard and defensive tackle, respectively.

Donald, drafted 13th overall out of the University of Pittsburgh, has been a regular contributor all season and, according to press box stats, had four tackles Monday.

“As a starter, I was on the field for a few more plays, but it wasn’t that different. Football is football,’’ Donald said. “I felt like I played OK, but I also know there’s still a lot of room for improvement. I have to make more plays, I have to take my game to the next level. If I could’ve made some more plays, maybe make a big hit or cause a turnover, you never know how that might’ve changed things.

“We started out good, but San Francisco really battled us. We have a strong team and the guys in this room believe in each other. All we can do is get back to work and start preparing for Seattle.’’

The Rams host the defending Super Bowl champion Seahawks Sunday at noon.

Safety Maurice Alexander, a Eureka High product drafted in the fourth round, played on special teams in his first home game. His previous NFL experience came in the team’s victory in Tampa Bay.

Two other rookies have been regulars in the secondary. Second-round pick Lamarcus Joyner is starting at nickel back and E.J. Gaines, the sixth-round pick from the University of Missouri, has been solid as a starter at cornerback.

Gaines was credited with three tackles and a pass defense while Joyner had two tackles on defense and two more to lead the Rams’ special teams.

“I had some mistakes last week,’’ Joyner said. “But the coaches worked with me this week and I felt like I made a few more plays, both on defense and on special teams. I feel like I’m doing what I need to do. I felt like I had a pretty decent game on defense. I was on Anquan Boldin, a veteran receiver, and I felt I held my own.

“And on special teams, I feel like I’m doing pretty well at the gunner position. Getting downfield and making some plays.’’

Gaines, who had his first fumble recovery and his first interception in last week’s loss in Philadelphia, matched up with another of the 49ers’ top guys, Michael Crabtree, and also performed well. But ...

Crabtree beat Gaines with a double move late in the third quarter, scoring a 32-yard touchdown that stretched the San Francisco lead to 24-14.

“It’s a move that I hadn’t seen before — I feel like it’s something they put in for this game — but it’s something I have to do a better job on,’’ Gaines said. “For the most part, I felt like I competed pretty well tonight. But giving up touchdowns, even against a great receiver like Crabtree, definitely puts a negative on the night overall. This team is counting on me and I need to do better.”