Mason Brodine converts to TE

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
The Rams have converted DE Mason Brodine to tight end.

Brodine had less than zero chance of making the Rams with them so loaded at defensive line. The position switch gives him at least a puncher's chance. He's now one of five tight ends on the team. Brodine is 6-foot-7 and 284 pounds.

-Rotoworld

Well, there is one DL out of the running.

jjab360

Legend
I'm interested in seeing that. Hope they gave him a heads up after the season ended so he could get with a professional and practice running routes in the meantime.

wrstdude

Rookie
Looks like he could have a chance as an inline blocker in the run game-prob doesn't need to catch much.

jjab360

Legend
Looks like he could have a chance as an inline blocker in the run game-prob doesn't need to catch much.
He'll probably be primarily a blocker but he at least needs to know how to run routes and catch otherwise it will tip off the play when we put him in the game.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
This will make it a lot easier for Sam to make the roster. Less competition.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
This switch indicates one thing. Too many camp bodies at DE...so switch him to TE until cut day.

Brodine= JAG, here for camp only.

F. Mulder

Starter
I hate to say this to the (?) number of Matt Brodine fans but it might as well say "Brodine switches to certain future waiver wire"

RamsAndEwe

Rookie
It would be like having two offensive tackles next to each other. Help the running game!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Ya he's gone when training camp comes. don't see him beating out anybody unless its' the Equipment manager for a spot

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
I hate to say this to the (?) number of Matt Brodine fans but it might as well say "Brodine switches to certain future waiver wire"

Completely agree. I would find it highly unlikely that a defensive end who was forced to change to a position on offense (which he has probably never played before) just before training camp will overcome the NFL caliber talent already at the position and make the team. It would make for a great story if he does though...

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Completely agree. I would find it highly unlikely that a defensive end who was forced to change to a position on offense (which he has probably never played before) just before training camp will overcome the NFL caliber talent already at the position and make the team. It would make for a great story if he does though...

As a defensive linemen, he already showed some physicality and nastiness. If he could translate that to blocking (and since he already knows a lot of moves linemen/linebackers use, that also helps) he could be special in that department.. His size is fantastic. But obviously this move is just his best chance to make the roster.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I thought he was a DT and figured once Carrington was on board that either Brodine or Cudjo was out. Throw in Donald and both Brodine and Cudjo are gone.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
DE's
Quinn
Long
Hayes
Sims

DT's
Brockers
Langford
Donald
Carrington

Other guys
Cudjo
Conrath
Sam

IIRC we carried nine DLinemen last season?

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
DE's
Quinn
Long
Hayes
Sims

DT's
Brockers
Langford
Donald
Carrington

Other guys
Cudjo
Conrath
Sam

IIRC we carried nine DLinemen last season?

I believe so. Watch out for Westbrooks too. Reminds me a lot of a Rivers type of player we had last season. Raw, but unbelievably talented.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I for one like what Sims brings to the rotation. He's only 28 yrs old. Had 20 tackles, 2 sacks and a safety last season.
He's made some plays. He's comfortable in this defense, knows his role as the 4th DE. Great size(6'6" 269lbs). He's been durable.

If Sam wants to make the final roster i would think that Sims is the guy he needs to beat out.

nighttrain

Legend
and then again, Fisher & co might think they drafted a real athelete. Myself, cant see any other reason for this switch, already plenty of camp bodies
train

rdw

Pro Bowler
Has any previous Rams player ever made a switch from one side of the ball to the other and been successful? Can't think of any, but then again my brain may not be working properly...

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Leonard Little. Switched from LB to DE. Never mind. I missed the O/D switch part of the question. I can't think of any either.