Marty Schottenheimer battling Alzheimer's

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/f...chottenheimer-is-battling-alzheimers-disease/

Marty Schottenheimer, who coached four NFL teams from 1984-2006 and won 206 games, has been battling Alzheimer's disease for five years.

"He's in the best of health, [but] sometimes he just doesn't remember everything," Schottenheimer's wife, Pat, told ESPNCleveland.com's Tony Grossi. "He functions extremely well, plays golf several times a week. He's got that memory lag where he'll ask you the same question three or four times.

"He remembers people and faces, and he pulls out strange things that I've never heard, but he's doing well. It's going be a long road. We both know that."

Still, the 73-year-old coach remains upbeat.

"I'm sitting here looking at a lake and it's a spectacular setting," Schottenheimer told Grossi. "Pat and I, the Lord's blessed us. I mean, there's no other way I can identify it. We're doing really good."

Schottenheimer and Pat will attend the 30th anniversary of the 1986 Brownsteam that Schottenheimer coached -- and was this close to making the Super Bowl. Cleveland finished atop the AFC Central with a 12-4 record before falling to Denver in the conference championship game.

To put Schottenheimer's Cleveland accomplishments in perspective, he's the last Browns coach to have won more games than he lost. In five seasons, he went 44-27, including four playoff appearances. In fact, Schottenheimer never had a losing season with the team. Meanwhile there have been a dozen coaches since, and only two won at least 45 percent of their games: Bud Carson and Bill Belichick.

"Well, that's unfortunate, I guess, for the Browns," Schottenheimer told Grossi, when informed of all the losing that followed him.

"It is amazing," said Ernest Byner, who played for Schottenheimer on those Browns teams and organized the 30th reunion. "But it goes to show you that you can't get rid of good coaches. If you've got a good coach, then you should try your best to keep the coach. You can bring in as many talented guys as you want, but if you don't have a guy that can mold the team and lead the team in such a way like Marty, then you're itching for failure. I'm telling you, if it wasn't for Marty, that [1986] team would not have been what it was."

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
My thoughts and prayers go out to the Schottenheimer family Alzheimer's is a terrible disease and it tears at the very fabric of the family. I pray for Marty during this journey and for the family to have the strength each and every day.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
My mother suffered from Alzhiemers. Strange how it affects the mind. Memories of the distant past bubble to the surface and they relive it as reality til the next memory bubbles up. Sitting with my mother at the hospice in her last days, she hadn't spoken in over 5 years. She reached over , grabbed my hand, looked me in the eye with total recognition and said "I've lived a good life, and thank you for being such a good son". She died at 101 yrs old three days later. I thank God every day for that parting gift after Mom dealt with alzheimers for over 20 years.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Sad News! I wish him well, he was a really good coach!! I never could understand why the Chargers let him go, when he was Winning!?! Maybe they didn't like the idea of having a winning Team!!

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Sad. My maternal grandfather was felled by Alzheimer's ... former professor and brilliant man who basically lost his mind.

My condolences to the Schottenheimer family.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
My grandma has it. Such a horrible disease. The destroying, fragmenting, misplacing and recaterorizing of one's own memories, thoughts and knowledge is the most fucked up shit possible. Hope for the best with him and his family.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
"It is amazing," said Ernest Byner, who played for Schottenheimer on those Browns teams and organized the 30th reunion. "But it goes to show you that you can't get rid of good coaches. If you've got a good coach, then you should try your best to keep the coach. You can bring in as many talented guys as you want, but if you don't have a guy that can mold the team and lead the team in such a way like Marty, then you're itching for failure. I'm telling you, if it wasn't for Marty, that [1986] team would not have been what it was."
Words to heed....