Marshawn Lynch hasn't filed his retirement papers

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on...the-seahawks-might-have-to-cut-marshawn-lynch

The Seattle Seahawks should probably tell Marshawn Lynch that tweeting out a retirement announcement doesn't actually make you retired in the NFL.

Although the Seahawks running back officially announced his retirement back on Feb. 7, Lynch is still technically on Seattle's roster because he hasn't filed his retirement papers yet.

Thanks to the salary cap, the act of officially filing your papers is kind of a big deal in the NFL, and it's a move that Lynch still hasn't done.

The problem for the Seahawks is that since Lynch hasn't filed the papers, his contract still counts against the team's salary cap. As of right now, Lynch is on the books for an $11.5 million cap hit in 2016.

That number will drop to $5 million once Lynch's retirement becomes official.

So when will it become official? No one seems to know.

Seahawks general manager John Schneider was asked at the NFL owners meeting this week if there was any particular reason Lynch hasn't filed his retirement papers yet.

"Not really," Schneider said, via the Seattle Times. "We just haven't received his papers yet. He's been out of the country riding camels and stuff."

That explanation kind of makes sense because Lynch has been out of the country for almost three weeks -- and yes, he's been riding camels in Egypt.

On the other hand though, Lynch didn't leave for the trip until Feb. 26, which means he had 19 days to file his papers before he left.

If Lynch is having second thoughts about retirement and decides to not file his papers, the Seahawks could just cut him.

By releasing Lynch, the team would either take a $5 million cap hit in 2016 or a $2.5 million hit in both 2016 and 2017. (If Lynch were to be cut with a post-June 1 designation, the salary cap hit would be spread over the remaining two seasons of his contract.)

Cutting Lynch would also instantly free up some cap room since the team wouldn't have to wait for him to file his retirement papers.

"We haven't decided that yet," Schneider said of cutting Lynch. "It would create some cap room. I'm not sure we're at the point where we specifically need that. We just haven't decided whether or not we're going to wait until then to do it. But it would create some cap room."

As of right now, Lynch is retired, but not officially, which means he's still on the Seahawks roster

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Seriously? Do people forget who Manchild Lynch is? Here is a partial list of other things Marshawn has failed to do:
  • Filed for Selective Service
  • Filed taxes
  • Filed his nails
  • Filed it away for later
  • Emptied the garbage
  • Brought his plate up and rinsed it for mom.
  • Sat up straight
  • Said please or thank you
  • Actually PURCHASED a bag of Skittles
  • Turned his homework in on time
  • Uttered the word "homework" :burp:"I'm just in class so I don't get expelled, boss"
  • Dotted an "I" or crossed a "T"
  • Screwed in a lightbulb...
Well, that's all I got for now. You get the idea. Who is shocked by this "news"?

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
  • ...held an intelligent conversation
  • Held a news conference
  • Held his own. (Well, maybe...) (n)
  • Made a reservation
  • Confirmed a reservation
  • Met an obligation
  • Made an omelette.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Seriously? Do people forget who Manchild Lynch is? Here is a partial list of other things Marshawn has failed to do:
  • Filed for Selective Service
  • Filed taxes
  • Filed his nails
  • Filed it away for later
  • Emptied the garbage
  • Brought his plate up and rinsed it for mom.
  • Sat up straight
  • Said please or thank you
  • Actually PURCHASED a bag of Skittles
  • Turned his homework in on time
  • Uttered the word "homework" :burp:"I'm just in class so I don't get expelled, boss"
  • Dotted an "I" or crossed a "T"
  • Screwed in a lightbulb...
Well, that's all I got for now. You get the idea. Who is shocked by this "news"?
Not only am I not shocked, I don't care!!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/category/rumor-mill/

On Friday, retired NFL running back Marshawn Lynch turned 30. But there’s still one curious glitch regarding Lynch’s retirement. He still hasn’t officially retired.

Unofficially, Lynch announced his retirement during the fourth quarter of Super Bowl 50. The Seahawks officially acknowledged the move. But the Seahawks have yet to make the official roster move that goes along with a player retiring.

While Lynch doesn’t show up on the team’s online roster, he has not been placed on the reserve-retired list. That can’t happen until Lynch files his retirement papers.

It’s possible that Lynch is delaying retirement intentionally, hopeful that the Seahawks eventually will release him, so that he can sign with another team whenever he wants: During training camp, at the outset of the regular season, during the regular season, or prior to/during a playoff run.

Regardless of the reason, both the team and Lynch’s camp aren’t saying anything about the situation. Which possibly says plenty.

For now, the only reasonable thing to say is this: There’s still a chance Lynch will play in 2016, and a very real chance that will happen with another team. Perhaps it will be his hometown team, the one that still plays in Oakland.

Mikey Ram

Hall of Fame
Name
Mike
He plays the Richard head card right till the end...JMHO, of course...I just don't like anything about him...