Marshall Faulk shares financial wisdom with NFL rookies

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Marshall Faulk shares financial wisdom with NFL rookies
Lindsay H. Jones, USA TODAY Sports

1401415107000-AP-Hall-of-Fame-Fanfest-Football.jpg

(Photo: Mark Duncan, AP)

LOS ANGELES – Marshall Faulk could have used his hour in front of nearly 40 of the NFL's most famous rookies to talk about football, about winning Super Bowls or even about being inducted in the Hall of Fame.

But Faulk walked into the Lowes Hollywood Hotel in a suit Thursday to talk about being a businessman – and the ability these players have now to turn their first post-college job into a lifelong career. It worked for Faulk, who attended the first rookie premiere 20 years ago after being drafted by the Indianapolis Colts, and now works as an analyst for the NFL Network.

"I hope they understand the business of the NFL and the platform that they have," Faulk said.

Over three days here in Hollywood, a select group of rookies – players deemed to be the most marketable by group of league sponsors and trading card companies – will embark on the process of building their personal brand. They'll sign more than a 1,000 trading cards, get their faces scanned to be included in the new Madden football video game and pose for pictures in their authentic team uniforms.

The group of invited players included four of the top five picks, including No. 1 pick Jadeveon Clowney, 10 quarterbacks, from No. 3 pick Blake Bortles through undrafted Browns quarterback Connor Shaw, 13 wide receivers and 11 running backs. Shaw's teammate Johnny Manziel is expected to arrive in Los Angeles on Friday to participate in the premiere.

"This is fantastic exposure for these guys, especially the non-quarterback guys. Quarterbacks get exposed to this, but if you're a running back or a defensive lineman, you just don't get this exposure and it gives companies a chance to really see who you are as a person," Faulk said. "We get a chance to talk these kids about building that brand, and selling that brand to these companies."

Follow Lindsay H. Jones on Twitter @bylindsayhjones.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Good thing he's not lecturing on the importance of strappin up:LOL:
That dude got his own bball squad with all his kids

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Faulk is a great role model and former player, one of the best. Great to see him inspiring others even after he retired.

My favorite player all time.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Good thing he's not lecturing on the importance of strappin up:LOL:
That dude got his own bball squad with all his kids
Actually he'd be the perfect one to convey the message that BUT FOR his irresponsible behavior early and maybe even still, he wouldn't need the NFL Network job.

I won't go on my adulation screed here, but, I married all my kids mom and stayed with her till they were grown,guys who do that are my heroes,the ones who don't, well unless ya do that getting into my HOF is pretty hard.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Faulk is a great role model and former player, one of the best. Great to see him inspiring others even after he retired.

My favorite player all time.

I disagree, he is a lousy role model. He still has money and didn't blow it all on a "posse" and living beyond his means but they guy has kids all over, 8 of them with 4 different women I believe.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I disagree, he is a lousy role model. He still has money and didn't blow it all on a "posse" and living beyond his means but they guy has kids all over, 8 of them with 4 different women I believe.

So!!! He's got a big heart, too big to share with just just one woman. I gurantee those women aren't complaining about how much that child support check is. Those kids are very well off.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
So!!! He's got a big heart, too big to share with just just one woman. I gurantee those women aren't complaining about how much that child support check is. Those kids are very well off.

We don't really know that. And I bet you don't come from a broken home or didn't have a father that banged your mom, got her pregnant then took off and just cut a check now and then. Just sayin'.......

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We don't really know that. And I bet you don't come from a broken home or didn't have a father that banged your mom, got her pregnant then took off and just cut a check now and then. Just sayin'.......

I don't judge a player by how many baby Mamma's they have because I don't really don't care. Marshall one hell of a player, competitor, teammate, and kept his nose clean. It would be hard for me to lay off all the hot women that flaunt themselves at me if I was heralded as "Super Man" in the NFL. I'd have a woman for every day of the week on speed dial and knock the bottom out. I respect Faulk even more, now. Thank you for that.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I don't judge a player by how many baby Mamma's they have because I don't really don't care. Marshall one hell of a player, competitor, teammate, and kept his nose clean. It would be hard for me to lay off all the hot women that flaunt themselves at me if I was heralded as "Super Man" in the NFL. I'd have a woman for every day of the week on speed dial and knock the bottom out. I respect Faulk even more, now. Thank you for that.

How good he was as a football player cannot be denied. But he is no role model. Why do you respect him more for having kids out of wedlock that he has little or nothing to do with? That strikes me as odd.......so I assume that you are joking and just didn't use the blue font.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
As a football player Faulks a great, I wouldn't piss in the rain for a hundred like him off the field,BTW he didn't "keep his nose clean" there were domestic disturbances he was involved in but St. Lou has a way of shielding it's sports stars.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
How good he was as a football player cannot be denied. But he is no role model. Why do you respect him more for having kids out of wedlock that he has little or nothing to do with? That strikes me as odd.......so I assume that you are joking and just didn't use the blue font.

I do all my Rams stuff by phone, no blue font.

Morale conversations are like politics, lots of various opinions. My supposed "more respect" is as rediculous as you throwing stones for his personal life. You peg him as wrong, I'm more open minded. Even if you belive his actions are wrong, it's not your part to judge in that manner. He's a great person to role model and I'm sure his teammates would second that, guys that know him. You're actually than only guy I've ever heard say anything negative about him and it had nothing to do with football. It's narrow minded of you to do so. Look for the bad and you will find it in anybody.

He's giving speeches to rookies to help them in their journey in the NFL and you say he's a bad role model. I doubt you'd admit you're wrong, too. You get off the high horse at anytime, it's garbage.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
As a football player Faulks a great, I wouldn't pee pee in the rain for a hundred like him off the field,BTW he didn't "keep his nose clean" there were domestic disturbances he was involved in but St. Lou has a way of shielding it's sports stars.

Let me redefine "keeping your nose clean." He never got suspended and nothing off the field effected his play on the field. Obviously some would call that "not good enough," I call that being judgmental as well as hypocritical. The ones talking haven't been in his shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.