Marshall Faulk on Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
David Carr just gave you a like.

RamWoodie

Legend
This^

My only question is this. Seriously - what does a rookie QB "learn" on the bench.
Is it becoming "acclimated" to the NFL, watching the (speed of) the games, etc.?
I really don't know.

Not saying he should or shouldn't start, but I don't think Rodgers "learned" anything on the bench.

IMO, he either knows the playbook, or he doesn't. I understand there's familiarity with receivers, and the O line, and and and, but what does he learn that prepares him for being in a game...other than being in a game?
Don't underestimate reps in practice. We know there are "full speed" practices...so that in itself can help any QB get acclimated.

The problem comes in when the season starts, as the starters get most of the reps in preparation for the game. I guarantee you if you ask any QB do they learn anything on the bench, they'll tell you yes.

When it comes to Rodgers I know he did...he said as much.

Psycho_X

Legend
The only way Fisher and Snead don't look stupid is if Goff comes out and starts from day 1 and isn't a complete disaster. If Keenum starts and plays well and we win the media will be in an uproar about how we wasted so many picks for Goff for no reason. If Keenum sucks and we start off losing 3 or 4 the media will be yelling about why they wasted all of those picks to have Goff sit while losing a bunch of games and putting us likely out of the playoffs before the half way point. If Goff starts and sucks it'll be a bunch of wasted picks again. Only way a coach and GM wins picking a QB with the number 1 overall is if the player plays within the first few games and is at least mildly successful over the course of a whole season. Otherwise it'll be a disaster. Is it fair? Probably not but it's just the way it is with today's media coverage and hundreds of millions of dollar investments being made every year.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I'm thinking about the highlight film of Goff.

And I'm thinking what he will be like when he has consistent time in the pocket. :)

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
@RamWoodie - you're right of course. Especially about the reps, but I just wonder when the learning curve starts leveling off.
4-8 games? - dunno. To be honest - my opinion is hugely colored by the fact I want to see him play.