Marshall Faulk on Jared Goff

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Barring an injury or horrible play in preseason, it's hard to picture JG not starting in game #1 of the season. I would much rather see him sit for a season and learn how they do things in the pros but with our present QB situation and the need to make a splash in LA, that seems unlikely.

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Marshall is a good football mind, and a sober thinker. I think the key here is to set the expectations for it to be ok for Jared to have early failures. Interceptions. Three and outs. Etc. So as not to put additional pressure on him.

All the while, setting him up for success, with a powerful run game, easy play action reads and quick passes early on. Reliance on veteran players, (Britt, Tavon, Kendricks) early on as targets. Breaking in some of the rookie targets slowly. (Cooper, Higbee and Thomas)

This philosophy also may be an early indicator of some bias in favor of veterans in the offensive line battles. Would anyone be shocked by an opening day line of: GRob-Reynolds-Barnes-Saffold-Havenstein for example? Gradually working in a Brown or Wichman as the season progresses.

It is nice to see guys like Marshall and Torry show their presence in the new LA environment. Maybe the smell of success will be contagious.

Ram65

Legend
Goff 1-11 first year in college. I would call that adversity. Two years later a bowl game victory. Would have been nice to hear MF go out on a limb and say he should start. He has shown he has the DNA to come back from adversity.

Last edited:

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
I wish Faulk was in the booth for every ram game. Best commentator there is for us. One of the smartest football minds ever, and not an annoying turd like most.

jap

Legend
I wish Faulk was in the booth for every ram game. Best commentator there is for us. One of the smartest football minds ever, and not an annoying turd like most.

Marshall and Mad Mike would make great co-color commentators.

RamWoodie

Legend
Camp is going to tell the story along with pre-season. I'm one who says don't rush the kid. You gave up a lot to get him. Let Keenum have the helm unless it's absolutely clear Goff beat him out as starter.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Goff 1-11 first year in college. I would call that adversity. Two years later a bowl game victory. Would have been nice to hear MF go out on a limb and say he should start. He has shown he has the DNA to come back from adversity.

I'm sure Marshall just doesn't want to pile any more pressure on.

jap

Legend
Camp is going to tell the story along with pre-season. I'm one who says don't rush the kid. You gave up a lot to get him. Let Keenum have the helm unless it's absolutely clear Goff beat him out as starter.

I don't expect Jared to be given the wheel until he has beaten out Case. However, I wouldn't mind an accelerated program for Jerad this pre-season to learn an effective nucleus of plays and to establish good-to-great rapport with all his fly guys (WRs, TEs, & RBs).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I agree, but if the Rams get off to another 1-3 or 2-4 start and the offense is floundering put in the rook and tell him it's YOUR team now...do your thing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Keenum as the initial starter makes sense from a team concept. He knows the system, he's got some familiarity with Gurley, Britt, Tavon...and has won some games. If Keenum struggles early then the decision to hand the car keys to Goff is a no brainer.

I guess my point is that even if Goff isn't 100% ready(if Keenum struggles) it's better to lose with Goff rather than Keenum. Goff needs NFL experience.

Of course, the plan isn't to lose games. I'm just throwing out scenarios.

OntarioRam

Hall of Fame
If Goff is not ready to start the season I hope they sit him. Keenum has proven is capable of handling our opening stretch.

You can never look past anybody in the NFL. Especially if you are the Rams - a team that is notorious for playing down to the level of "less competition", and is no better than .500 until they finally prove otherwise.

Having said that, our first three games are against San Fran, Seattle, and Tampa Bay. We *should* be able to come out of the first month of the season 2-1, even with quarterback play on par with what we have seen the previous few seasons. The optimist in me thinks we might even be able to post a 3-0 start for the first time in what feels like forever. Even against the Seahawks, we match up very well against them with our dominant defensive line vs their offensive line being their achilles heal, always play them tough, and will have home field advantage.

Ultimately, I think it's a moot point. I think Goff will be ready to go. He's a sharp kid, so the mental part should not hold him back. And QB prospects of years past have started seasons just fine despite not being touted as "NFL ready" as Goff coming out.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Keenum as the initial starter makes sense from a team concept. He knows the system, he's got some familiarity with Gurley, Britt, Tavon...and has won some games. If Keenum struggles early then the decision to hand the car keys to Goff is a no brainer.

I guess my point is that even if Goff isn't 100% ready(if Keenum struggles) it's better to lose with Goff rather than Keenum. Goff needs NFL experience.

Of course, the plan isn't to lose games. I'm just throwing out scenarios.

This^

My only question is this. Seriously - what does a rookie QB "learn" on the bench.
Is it becoming "acclimated" to the NFL, watching the (speed of) the games, etc.?
I really don't know.

Not saying he should or shouldn't start, but I don't think Rodgers "learned" anything on the bench.

IMO, he either knows the playbook, or he doesn't. I understand there's familiarity with receivers, and the O line, and and and, but what does he learn that prepares him for being in a game...other than being in a game?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
This^

My only question is this. Seriously - what does a rookie QB "learn" on the bench.
Is it becoming "acclimated" to the NFL, watching the (speed of) the games, etc.?
I really don't know.

Not saying he should or shouldn't start, but I don't think Rodgers "learned" anything on the bench.

IMO, he either knows the playbook, or he doesn't. I understand there's familiarity with receivers, and the O line, and and and, but what does he learn that prepares him for being in a game...other than being in a game?
My 2 cents would be learning the full playbook, watching NFL defenses live without taking any bullets, interacting with coaches on the sideline and watching how the whole process functions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I personally do not subscribe to the theory QB's are ruined by playing them too early. If the player is that fragile and unable to handle a little adversity in his learning curve, I'd argue the player wasn't going to make it anyway.

Once he knows the offense, that's when he should start. My guess is that's week 1.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Give him some meaningful time in preseason games, and please don't call 8 runs and a WR screen then send him back to the bench for the game.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
My 2 cents would be learning the full playbook, watching NFL defenses live without taking any bullets, interacting with coaches on the sideline and watching how the whole process functions.
Totally agree. So....how many games?
Goff specifically. I 'd say the magic number is 4. Two home, two away.
Not gonna' lie and say I wasn't super pumped when we got Bradford - I was. Liked Spags as well( shows what I know).

I just really have a different feeling about Goff. Oklahoma was a powerhouse, with a (oh btw) NFL offensive line. Cal obviously wasn't.

Plus, (and this is huge), I'm not sure I've EVER heard Goff say "hopefully".

Bradford used it in every other sentence.

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
What ruins young QB's isn't starting them right away exactly. It's starting them right away behind a shitty OL. And doesn't playing behind bad OL's ruin most QB's regardless of XP?