Marshall Faulk Audio

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

Amazing to hear Marshall speak on certain things in this interview. I won't lie Mad Mike pissed me off every now and again (SB36) but he was a Coach that changed how the NFL was played after our GSOT Rams.

Last edited:

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Some good talk from Torry, maybe with the influences of our future Hall of Famers and current ones ( Aeneas Williams and Marshall) we will start getting some air play and respect on NFLN.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If I had to put into, just a few words, my opinion of Marshall Faulks, I'd call him a Brilliant Player/Coach! he really earned his spot in the HOF!!

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
If I had to put into, just a few words, my opinion of Marshall Faulks, I'd call him a Brilliant Player/Coach! he really earned his spot in the HOF!!
I'm more thinking he'd be a great GM if anything tbh. Seems very personal and business savvy

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
"I look forward to the day that Martz gets his due" Marshall

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
It was a treat listening to those guys talking about the greatest show on turf. Thanks for the links!

Is Mike Martz the perfect example of the Peter principle in action? That is, is he an example of being an expert at a job but then being promoted beyond one's level of competence? By all accounts the man was a brilliant quarterback coach and offensive coordinator but not so much HC. One has to wonder if leadership remained in tact ... that if Vermeil had stayed as HC and we kept Lovie at DC and mad Mike Martz at OC how things would have unraveled differently.

Last edited:

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
It was a treat listening to those guys talking about the greatest show on turf. Thanks for the links!

Is Mike Martz the perfect example of the Peter principle in action? That is, is he an example of being an expert at a job but then being promoted beyond one's level of competence? By all accounts the man was a brilliant quarterback coach and offensive coordinator but not so much HC. One has to wonder if leadership remained in tact ... that if Vermeil had stayed as HC and we kept Lovie at DC and mad Mike Martz at OC how things would have unraveled differently.
If the NFL doesn't collude with the Patriots to throw SB36 then we're not even having this conversation about Martz's HC capabilities. No way in hell does that Patriot team beat that Rams team if there isn't lots and lots of help behind the scenes.

Username

Has a Well-Known Member
He got a standing ovation in 2010 when the Rams honored Isaac. He introduced him, and got a long ovation when he took the podium. It was awesome. I think the fans have have settled their differences with Mike. He didn't always make the best decisions for the team, but he sure as hell was far from the worst HC we've had. The players played hard for him, and his teams were a blast to watch win or lose. He polished a lot of turds into talent on offense too.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
He got a standing ovation in 2010 when the Rams honored Isaac. He introduced him, and got a long ovation when he took the podium. It was awesome. I think the fans have have settled their differences with Mike. He didn't always make the best decisions for the team, but he sure as hell was far from the worst HC we've had. The players played hard for him, and his teams were a blast to watch win or lose. He polished a lot of turds into talent on offense too.
I'd have to totally agree with your sentiment Username...
Even though he did make some bone headed decisions, he close to the worst we've had. Hearing his interviews now and he has had time to reflect on things not coaching he sounds like he realized a lot of his mistakes he made.

fearsomefour

Legend
Can't really have things both ways. Martz approach was always risk/reward. Whether that was risking turnovers or a QBs health that was the trade off of having an explosive offense. Martz could put together game plans that worked partly because they were so non traditional (I remember him opening a game vs San Diego with 16 straight passes or something). The downside is there were times when he couldn't see things that were obvious....a T giving up pressures and sacks and Martz just refusing to give him help. Sometimes he could adapt....pounding the ball in the second half of the NFC Title game vs the Eagles....and times he got conservative, playoff game vs the Panthers.
I didn't mind his strange game management....much more experienced HC do strange thing with time outs. His real weakness was as a talent evaluator when it came to the draft....disaster.
To me Martz is an all time Ram. The Rams would not have smelled a title without him.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
To me Martz is an all time Ram. The Rams would not have smelled a title without him.
I think Hanifan deserves an honorable mention too. That offense required all kinds of blocking, and he was a great teacher.

fearsomefour

Legend
I think Hanifan deserves an honorable mention too. That offense required all kinds of blocking, and he was a great teacher.
True. That was a pretty stacked coaching staff. Hanifan was sort of easy to dismiss because he was old at that point but he did a heck of a job.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

True. That was a pretty stacked coaching staff. Hanifan was sort of easy to dismiss because he was old at that point but he did a heck of a job.

I love his audio bits! He's always got a curse word or two to go along with them! haha