Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye - Decision made: Foles to start

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Marrone will make Minshew-Foles choice during bye

There's likely to be plenty of time to drink in an ugly 26-3 AFC South loss to the Texans as the Jaguars make their long flight back home from England.

While he leaves behind a lopsided loss, Jacksonville coach Doug Marrone will decide between veteran free-agent signee Nick Foles, who's coming off a clavicle injury, and rookie Gardner Minshew.

Marrone told reporters following Sunday's loss that he would step away to take some time to make the decision before telling Foles and Minshew of who will take the reins going forward. Marrone said he would make the decision likely around next Sunday before the team returns from its upcoming bye.

"I haven't spoken to either quarterback yet, and I hate talking through the media about my plans, but the plans were -- again, the disappointment of the team, not performing well, will be on my mind now for the next 48 hours," Marrone said after the game. "I think after those 48 hours are over, I'm going to step away a little bit, take a break because I don't have to make a decision and have time. That's what I'm going to talk to the quarterbacks about, and then I'll tell them probably right before we come back on Sunday, we'll be able to discuss where we're going to go. That's pretty much my plan."

Foles was signed in the offseason under much fanfare, but his Jaguars debut lasted less than a quarter when he broke his left clavicle against the Chiefs. He subsequently underwent surgery.

With Foles injured, Minshew looked good in relief against the Chiefs, throwing for 275 yards and a pair of touchdowns. Taking the field with a trademark mustache and headband, Minshew played well and Minshew Mania became a thing.

It might have run its course on Sunday, though, as the Jaguars' offense as a whole struggled and Minshew had three turnovers.

Marrone insisted it will not be one ill-fated game that determines his decision, though.

"Yeah, you know, I've got a lot of questions, and I'm not naïve... And it's not one game, it'll be a body of work," Marrone said.

The Jaguars are 4-5, having gone 4-4 with Minshew starting.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Nothing to gain with Foles. You know exactly what type of QB he is. Let the kid grow and go through his lumps.

I just don’t see the point of putting in Foles. You’re not making the playoffs and the coach will probably be fired after the season anyway.

fearsomefour

Legend
The youngster should play really.
But Foles is being paid money.
I bet it will be Foles.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Well the key for me here is that it's not like Jax is making a run. They're a mediocre bunch. If they looked like the '99 Rams did with their backup Warner (the obvious example lol) then it would be a slam dunk to stay with the hot hand. But at this point the team made an investment and will likely put that investment back in at QB to see what he can do.

And then they have Minshew (who I love btw) waiting in the wings. They don't need to rush this IMO. I would give Foles the chance to sieze the job and take things to another level, and if he can't do that welp it's time to get behind the kid QB and let him learn on the job.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
The Minshew Mania is slowing down here in Jag Country.

Who knows what Coughlin will do... that old bastard can fuck up a free lunch though.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
You can never succeed in anything unless you go through failures. The logic of even considering Foles is beyond retarded.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Nothing to win with Foles though, no future there imo

IDK, you signed him to a big contract and he was a Super Bowl MVP, maybe you want to see him more than one game, but again, JMHO.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
Start Foles and trade Minshew for a first round pick like the Patriots have done two or three times with their backup qbs.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jaguars activated QB Nick Foles (clavicle) from injured reserve.
Coach Doug Marrone confirmed earlier Tuesday that Foles will slide back in as starter following the Jaguars' Week 10 bye. Despite Gardner Minshew's sometimes-inspired play, the sixth-round rookie was held to one touchdown three of his final four starts, and completely melted down in the team's 26-3 loss to the Texans in Houston. Being paid $50.125 million guaranteed, Foles was always going to be reinstated under center. Willing to take deep shots, his insertion is not bad news for D.J. Chark or Chris Conley.
SOURCE: Tad Dickman on Twitter
Nov 5, 2019, 2:56 PM ET

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Marrone decides to go with Nick Foles as starter

In the aftermath of a dreadful 26-3 defeat against the Texans on Sunday in England, Jaguars coach Doug Marrone said he would wait until the end of the upcoming bye weekbefore deciding whether Nick Foles or Gardner Minshew was his quarterback going forward.

Earlier than expected, Marrone made his choice.

Marrone announced on Tuesday that Foles will be the team's starting quarterback in Week 11 against the Colts and the rookie Minshew will return to being the backup.

Foles, who was officially activated from the reserve/injured list to the 53-man roster on Tuesday, was injured in the first quarter of Week 1 with a broken collarbone and Minshew has started since then.

"I made a decision on the quarterbacks and Nick will be our starting quarterback going forward," Marrone said. "Obviously [it's] my decision. I worked hard on it, came to it."

Marrone called in both players and spoke to them, informing them of his decision before telling the team and then announcing it to the media.

A former Super Bowl MVP for the Eagles, Foles arrived in Duval to turn the team around and take the starting reins. However, his debut lasted less than a quarter.

Minshew took over and Minshew Mania came with it. Showcasing a trademark headband and mustache, Minshew showed poise and talent far beyond that of a rookie drafted in the sixth round.

The Jaguars (4-5) went 4-4 with the Washington State product as a starter and Marrone believes his future is bright despite taking a step back to the bench.

"He's done a great job. I feel a whole lot different about him now than I did prior to him playing in a very positive way," Marrone said. "We took some things and had some discussions on things that we're gonna work on going forward which will give him the ability to be a player in this league for a long time. I really believe that."

In the aforementioned loss to Houston, Minshew had three turnovers in his worst start of the season. Marrone stated his decision wouldn't be made based on that game alone and on Tuesday said it hadn't.

"I looked at the body of work," Marrone said.

At the heart of Marrone's decision was Foles' experience and the belief that the QB who has started for the Eagles, Rams and Chiefsgives the Jaguars the best option at victory during the current campaign.

"Looking back at all the work we put in and I just go back to the experience of what he's going to be able to do," Marrone said. "I think that's going to give us the ability, a better chance of winning right now."

When asked at what point Minshew made Marrone second-guess having the rookie as the starter, the Jags coach said it never happened. In many ways, Foles never got his chance to be the Jacksonville starter and Marrone is ready for that to happen.

"I don't know if I had that thought process," Marrone said. "If I'm dancing with this person, but I know at the end of the night I'm gonna be dancing with this other, I don't think I'm going to be dancing that well with the first one."

On Nov. 17 in Indianapolis, Foles will get a re-start as the franchise quarterback for the Jaguars. His dance card had been filled and Minshew Mania will take a backseat.

A decision came early in Duval and it's time to return to Foles