Mark Sanchez learns valuable lesson from Sam Bradford

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
200.gif

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...n-to-draft-quarterback-as-vote-of-confidence/

Sanchez sees decision to draft quarterback as vote of confidence
Posted by Mike Florio on May 2, 2016

zz1mnjhlm2fimgm5mzviymfiotazmtbmmziwyzjhngiyza-e1462225739124.jpeg
AP

In Philadelphia, the incumbent veteran quarterback reacted poorly to the team’s decision to use a first-round pick on a quarterback. In Denver, the opposite has occurred.

Veteran Mark Sanchez said Monday that he regards the decision to draft a quarterback instead of acquiring a more experience passer as a positive.

“Absolutely,” Sanchez told reporters as to whether he views the move as a vote of confidence. “That’s been the message that I’ve received. I’m thrilled about this opportunity.”

Then again, it sounds as if Sanchez was going to view the glass as half full regardless of how much of the milkshake another quarterback drank out of it.

“Whether it was a veteran that came in, any of the names that were out there, any of these guys in the draft that are becoming pros this year, my focus wouldn’t change,” Sanchez said. “The most important thing for me was getting involved with the players here, meeting these guys, develop a relationship, learn this playbook as fast as I can and then get involved in the community and establish myself as a leader on this team. That’s going to take time and that’s going to take reps, no matter who was here. It happens to be Paxton [Lynch]. We’re happy. He’s a great talent. He’s going to add to our quarterback room. That’s going to make it fun.”

Sanchez said he texted a note of congratulations to Lynch and all of the rookies.

“It’s a special day for all of those guys,” Sanchez said. “Drafted or undrafted, they’re realizing their NFL dreams. That was the first thing I said. ‘Congratulations on that, welcome to the team, holler if you need anything.’”

Sanchez also had no expectation that he’d hear from coach Gary Kubiak or G.M. John Elway before the team acquired a quarterback.

“They don’t owe me that,” Sanchez said. “They don’t owe me anything like that [or] any of the players. This is their team. They’re going to do exactly what they want to do. I think the message is clear. We’ll roll with that. I’m excited to be a part of it. We’re just getting rolling. It’s Phase Two [of the offseason program]. It was fun today, so it was nice to get on the field with these guys.”

Eventually, Sanchez and Lynch will be competing for the starting job. Trevor Siemian, a seventh-round pick in 2015, also will be in the mix. The former Northwestern quarterback told reporters on Monday that he “absolutely” believes he has a chance to win the starting job.

Siemian has a built-in advantage, because he knows the offense and learned last year from Peyton Manning and Brock Osweiler. With, as Siemian said, an expectation that reps will be divided evenly in the offseason, Siemian has a chance.

“I think I don’t try and do anything crazy,” Siemian said. “I think [if I] play my best football, I’ve got a chance. I’m going to take it one day at a time and go from there.”

One thing we know about the Broncos is that whoever is playing the best will get to play on Sundays. The team that pulled the plug on Tebowmania, benched Peyton Manning, and then benched Brock Osweiler has proven that, when it comes to the quarterback position, there’s no sacred cow or anointed one. The best player plays, and that attitude coaches all players to play their best.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It sounds like Sanchez likes that he is the likely QB on a team that won the Super Bowl last year. It is a helluva opportunity for him if that defense performs as well this year.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
He's having a decent career, financially.

I'd take him as a back up.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Whenever i hear the word Sanchez I think of the motor bike in GTA San Andreas.